Flab... or just loose/extra skin?

RPJS05

Is there any real way of telling the difference between a little extra belly fat or just some extra skin?

I have a 7 y/o daughter, but i gained ALOT of weight w/pregnancy. I was 115 before her, and 170 after.. (i know i know, my excuse was "im eating for two" I've been at a steady 145-150lbs (and i am 5'6") for about 2-3 years now. Been to the gym, yo-yo dieting, etc. Im not really overweight, but its tough for me to tone up.. is just a little extra loose skin a possibility? Im not sure how to really tell the difference!

thoughts? comments? please! :)

thanks!

Hi Robyn...a friend of mine lost a lot of weight in a short time and ended up with what he called " envelopes" of skin on his belly...and that's what they looked like too !! ....don't the gym staff have a measurement device that will help you figure out if it's fat or skin? you might want to talk to Sheila ( she's away right now though ) on another thread ( the main one, with the big numbers ) ...she's having a tummy tuck in the Fall and I believe it's because of the loose skin she has...hope everything works out for ya...

Hi Robyn...a friend of mine lost a lot of weight in a short time and ended up with what he called " envelopes" of skin on his belly...and that's what they looked like too !! ....don't the gym staff have a measurement device that will help you figure out if it's fat or skin? you might want to talk to Sheila ( she's away right now though ) on another thread ( the main one, with the big numbers ) ...she's having a tummy tuck in the Fall and I believe it's because of the loose skin she has...hope everything works out for ya...

ok.. envelopes makes the mental picture for me a little easier. i just have a small, almost like a pot belly. haha i cant really explain. my stomach around my belly button is 32" but a little below, like hips is 36". so i guess thats just fat!

I really dislike the people that work in my gym, not helpful, i never signed up for the trainer when i first started there, so i never really asked those questions.

thank you :)

I have worked out for several months with a Navy Seal trainer. He says if you pinch your side, if it sorta "droops" or "falls south" then it's fat. If you pinch it and it kinda bounces back like an elastic then it's either water weight or muscle. He then had me drink a gallon of water a day and sure enough I dropped several pounds of water weight. Not sure how scientific this approach is but in my case he was right.

I have worked out for several months with a Navy Seal trainer. He says if you pinch your side, if it sorta "droops" or "falls south" then it's fat. If you pinch it and it kinda bounces back like an elastic then it's either water weight or muscle. He then had me drink a gallon of water a day and sure enough I dropped several pounds of water weight. Not sure how scientific this approach is but in my case he was right.

I know that I definetly need to drink more water. Since starting atkins again this past Saturday I have been drinking tons.

I tried your pinch test and I 'bounce', however I highly doubt its muscle so im gonna hope its water weight hahaha

thanks for the tip! that was an interesting one. I'll keep my water coming!

Archived