New to Cruises!

Dee777

Hello, everyone!

My husband and I have not yet gone on a cruise, we are just exploring every different cruise company and our options. Will be celebrating 25 years together soon, and are thinking that we may like to cap it off with a cruise. Our question (well, ok, MY question!) is:

When you are on a ship, do you feel it moving much? I know this sounds dumb to ask, and I am not sure why it is important to me, as I have been on many a boat in my life from small pleasure craft to houseboats and ferries, and not once been "seasick", but am a little concerned that I may get on a 7 day cruise and be miserably ill the whole time. Any information may greatly ease my anxieties enough to make me actually excited to book a cruise!

Thank you all in advance for your help!

Dee

Hello, everyone!

My husband and I have not yet gone on a cruise, we are just exploring every different cruise company and our options. Will be celebrating 25 years together soon, and are thinking that we may like to cap it off with a cruise. Our question (well, ok, MY question!) is:

When you are on a ship, do you feel it moving much? I know this sounds dumb to ask, and I am not sure why it is important to me, as I have been on many a boat in my life from small pleasure craft to houseboats and ferries, and not once been "seasick", but am a little concerned that I may get on a 7 day cruise and be miserably ill the whole time. Any information may greatly ease my anxieties enough to make me actually excited to book a cruise!

Thank you all in advance for your help!

Dee

had my first cruise in march, i too was worried about the motion of the ship so we took a little 4 day out of L.A. just to be sure ,,, ABSOLUTLY LOVED IT,, I don't know why i was worried,, i did notice some vibraton at night but it just kind of lulled me to sleep and i had a very restful sleep, if you have never had a problem with motion sickness i would not worry a bit..

On todays ships you don't even know you're moving- unless the ocean gets REALLY rough which it never seems to do! If you do find yourself feeling a bit seasick, you can get dramamine or Bonine at the purser's desk or buy some to take with you just in case. I used to get seasick on the smaller ships (800 passengers) but I never do on the big ships of today.

Thank you all so much for your replies. I am a member of another travel forum, and at times when people post their questions there, the answers are not always so kind! I like what I see here, and have realized there is SO much to learn! Thank you, again!

Dee

Dear Dee:

Welcome to the addiction! Once you decide to cruise you will be visiting Cruise Critic often to find out all you can. I love the planning and my husband likes to leave most of that to me and go along for the ride. :)

I would say I'm an average person where motion sickness is concerned. I can feel it in some situations. I have had no problem with it on our cruises. You should expect to feel some motion but it is usually very minimal. We think it is kind of fun when the ship starts rocking a little more. Bottom line: you won't know if you're a good sailor until you give it a try. The majority of people do not find it troublesome. I do take meclazine just in case, but have never needed it.

Archived