Q2 Suite - butler service

Harriet75C

Heading off on a trip soon on the QE2 in a Q2 suite, which has butler service. Having never travelled in a butlered suite before I have no idea what we can get the butler to do for us.

Anybody got any tips?

Well if it is the usual suspects up on the Signal Deck, you'll have superb service. Just ask, and consider it done.

Not sure what Sun Deck cabins are like - they are also Q2 but don't share the staff with the Signal Deck. I can't imagine that they aren't wonderful though.

We travelled QE2 Q2 once and found that the Butler's *best* aspects were when it came to room service. ie. Ordering drinks etc.

We did not ask the Butler to do things such as washing and/or ironing. The ship provides launderettes and a washing/ironing service which they charge for. It's not fair to ask the Butler to do something that you should really be paying the ship to do.

When we ordered drinks etc, they were delivered pronto - and not just the drinks ordered. The delivery was made with bar snacks to accompany - just a nice 'touch'. Ask for a cookie - and you'll get a whole tray selection.

Other things you might find that the butler can do is 'Please could you find out..........?' for you. Eg. What is the programme for tomorrow/the day after.

What you will find is that they are 'top notch' service staff. They are creme de la creme. Very very attentive.

Hope you enjoy it as much as we did!!!

Just back off QE2 we stayed in a Q2, Found the butler little beter than a steward, we have had butlers with other lines and been most impressed. However this guy s sole purpose seemed to be do as little as possible. \The one good thing he did was get our electric on when numerous phone calls to housekeeping could not produce an electrician, he turned up over 36 hours later and asked what was wrong!

I sincerely hope you get a better one than we did.

good luck

regards Jim

Thanks for all the info.

Sounds like it's great as long as you get a good butler, which hopefully we will.

On a completely unrelated issue:

I just discovered I'm not going to be able to go on any excursions and maybe not even be able to get off the ship to have a look at the ports (had an op on my knee last week and the docs and physio don't think it'll be strong enough by then to stand up to sightseeing!) so I guess I'll just have to get to know the ship fairly well! The ship is the main reason we chose the holiday, rather than the ports, so doesn't really spoil our plans too much.

If I needed any help or adjustments because of my knee (I don't think I will, but for example if i can't bend it properly by then so need a stool to stick my foot on when I'm sitting down) how helpful are the ship staff lilkley to be? And should we let them know before we go?

Really looking forward to it now - only 2 weeks to go...

Thanks for all the info.

Sounds like it's great as long as you get a good butler, which hopefully we will.

On a completely unrelated issue:

I just discovered I'm not going to be able to go on any excursions and maybe not even be able to get off the ship to have a look at the ports (had an op on my knee last week and the docs and physio don't think it'll be strong enough by then to stand up to sightseeing!) so I guess I'll just have to get to know the ship fairly well! The ship is the main reason we chose the holiday, rather than the ports, so doesn't really spoil our plans too much.

If I needed any help or adjustments because of my knee (I don't think I will, but for example if i can't bend it properly by then so need a stool to stick my foot on when I'm sitting down) how helpful are the ship staff lilkley to be? And should we let them know before we go?

Really looking forward to it now - only 2 weeks to go...

Harriet,

They have a limited number of wheelchairs on board. It might behoove you to rent a good travel one (lightweight/foldable) to take with you if possible.

There are companies which will deliver them to the ship for you (Depending on embarkation point) to rent while you are aboard. You might want to look into that for your comfort. If you find you don't need it, well, it's cheap insurance. But you may find you tire quickly.The other point is, although YOU may know you are miserable, when you go to the Queens Ballroom, and you will cry if you have to stand a moment longer, the other passengers will not be cognizant of your condition. I hate to say it, but the wheelchair is a sign that you are not just wanting to get off your feet, but truly NEED to. Even my handicapped permit sometimes gets second looks, as I am obese, so some naturally assume that I am simply lazy. When in fact, the drugs that kept me alive made me this way, not the other way around. I went from 107 pounds to 285 at my highest (and not far off from my present weight) So it is better to suffer the humiliation of "needing" adaptive equipment than being miserable on your holiday!

Here is a link for you, in case they have any valuable suggestions to make you trip more enjoyable.

http://www.cruiseshipassist.com/

Karie,

Who wishes you good speed, and hope you are dancing on the tables (with a lampshade on) within a month!

P.S. In additions to major US ports, Cruise Assist also services major European ports, such as Britain and Ireland!

Not allied with them. just found out about them when I was looking into bringing an oxygen generator on board a year ao.

Karie - thanks for that link. My mother has great problems walking any distance and finds getting about the QE2 just a bit too much. She's looked at the possibility of getting a wheel chair onboard but doesn't want the stigma of being "wheel chair bound". She gets a scooter if she comes to York for the day so the possibility if renting one for use onboard really appeals.

Karie - thanks for that link. My mother has great problems walking any distance and finds getting about the QE2 just a bit too much. She's looked at the possibility of getting a wheel chair onboard but doesn't want the stigma of being "wheel chair bound". She gets a scooter if she comes to York for the day so the possibility if renting one for use onboard really appeals.

Malcolm,

Glad to be of assistance.

I have been a handicapped advocate at work, officially. Because our group had monthly meetings and we had people with various levels of ability and disability, and because over time. I have encountered greater problems of my own, I try to be especially sensitive, especially to hidden disabilities or even sensitivity to the terms. Some people do not like the term disabled- some do not like handicapped, there was a move afoot to call people "differently abled" and many people in wheelchairs do not like the term "wheelchair-bound"- as though you are a prisoner. It isn't easy, but the rule of thumb is to address the person, not the disabilty- In other words, "person in a wheelchair," not "wheelchair bound person" . Person with a handicap, not handicapped person. Always try to put the person first. Their disability second.

Anyway, as I have become increasingly unable to take long distances of just plain walking, it can be agony for me, yet, with my high weight, I fear people will just think, (And some do,) "Look at the fat lazy person!" So I am particularly attuned to that. There IS a stigma to being in a wheelchair or using handicapped parking, or whatever. You would be amazed at how often someone will address speech to an assistant or companion instead of the person in the wheelchair, as if they were either not there at all, or incapable of comprehension! Or they talk baby-talk to them. Hey! I have a handicap, I'm not an idiot!

There's also a component, once you "give in to" using adaptive equipment, to give up on yourself, and figure you are less of a person because of it.

I hope this will help her, and give her more confidence and comfort without making her feel like an "old lady"

Do have a marvelous tme the both of you! (Theres's always the- what do the English call them, the walkers with the wheels- There are some mad maxes out there with those things!)

Karie,

who plans to die sliding quickly and full bore into home plate, not sedately watching from the bleachers!

It isn't easy, but the rule of thumb is to address the person, not the disabilty- In other words, "person in a wheelchair," not "wheelchair bound person" . Person with a handicap, not handicapped person. Always try to put the person first. Their disability second.

Karie - my point was not that passengers say "oh look, there is a person in a wheel chair", but that the person in a wheel chair thinks they are saying "oh look, there is a wheel chair bound person".

I hope this will help her, and give her more confidence and comfort without making her feel like an "old lady"

She's just had her 80th birthday - Saturday - I think that she enjoys people thinking of her as "an old lady":D

Do have a marvelous time the both of you!

Both of us? We're not going this time:) Although she has just telephoned to say that they are now home and that she forgot to get the address for that site - I'll email it to her.

Archived