Where to stay?

gszenacm

We rented a condo at the Regal Beach Club (it's owned by someone, not a timeshare), and loved it. We were right next to the Marriott (the one on the water, not the Courtyard), which was nice. Red Sail operates out of the Marriott, which was nice when we wanted to rent waverunners. They also have a bar right on the beach (we just wandered over and got our drinks and came back to the loungers).

We had a two-bedroom unit, that came with a washer-dryer and full kitchen. We had wanted a three-bedroom, but they only had four and they were either occupied by the owners or they had rented out. But we were very happy with the two-bedroom. We were on the second floor and had a wonderful view of the ocean (we were probably less than a 100 feet from the ocean-it was amazing). We spent many hours out on the screened-in porch.

One thing we really like was how they handled the lounger situation, especially considering how many cruise ship passengers are on the island these days. I was concerned that we might not get a lounger, but they have a guard who keeps track of who the condo guests/owners are. Many of the hotels offer day passes for cruise ship passengers (which is nice), but it tends to get crowded. Since we spent over $4,000 on this condo for the week, I wanted to make sure we would have access to a chair, and we had no problem. The Marriott was busy at times, but the Regal Beach wasn't bad.

Across the street is the Aqua Beach Club, and we ate the many times. Coconut Joe's (our favorite) was just up a bit from that (all within walking distance).

We're going back in January. We loved the place. This next time, we're going to eat more meals in the condo. We spent an additional $4,000 or so just on meals, while we were there. And we ate at mostly pub type places. But we had out three older kids with us, so there were five of us. :)

Here's their website if you're interested.....

http://www.regalbeach.com/home.html

We rented our car from Andy's. I found a coupon on the Cayman Activity Guide for Andy's.

$19 airfare!!!! OMG...that is really amazing!!! Ours was almost $900 each (there were five of us). I still don't have our air booked for January. I need to get busy. I just hope I can find something cheaper this year.

Go to Cayman Activity Guide (dot com) and check out their listings for condos. You have to register, but there is a ton of info over there. I'm sure there are more places in GC that aren't mentioned at CAG, because they promote their sponsors. But it is a good place to start and they will help you with any questions you have. :)

• 9 months later...
Go to Cayman Activity Guide (dot com) and check out their listings for condos. You have to register, but there is a ton of info over there. I'm sure there are more places in GC that aren't mentioned at CAG, because they promote their sponsors. But it is a good place to start and they will help you with any questions you have. :)

the best advice I ever got...wish all my destinations had such an active board! we ended up staying at the Hyatt and had a GREAT time

CAG will not tell you anything about the very many additional places to stay on the island because as you say they not only just promote their sponsors but they ban people who talk about non-sponsors - just a bit over the top if you ask me.

As to the question about places to stay take a look at the usual suspects - TripAdvisor and Wheretostay.com.

We own at Castaways Cove/The Reef Resort on the east end of the island and if you want to get away from it all we certainly love it there. If you want to be in Georgetown there are a number of options available and you can contact Vacation Rentals by Owner, Go Cayman, Rainbow Realty, to get a good sampling of what's available at any particular time.

Good luck!

the best advice I ever got...wish all my destinations had such an active board! we ended up staying at the Hyatt and had a GREAT time

The info here is just amazing!!

The Hyatt is where they filmed that Tom Cruise movie (can't think of the name), I believe. I'm glad you had a good time. We just love the Caymans!

CAG will not tell you anything about the very many additional places to stay on the island because as you say they not only just promote their sponsors but they ban people who talk about non-sponsors - just a bit over the top if you ask me.

As to the question about places to stay take a look at the usual suspects - TripAdvisor and Wheretostay.com.

We own at Castaways Cove/The Reef Resort on the east end of the island and if you want to get away from it all we certainly love it there. If you want to be in Georgetown there are a number of options available and you can contact Vacation Rentals by Owner, Go Cayman, Rainbow Realty, to get a good sampling of what's available at any particular time.

Good luck!

We LOVED the East End. Thanks for this info. I think next time we come, we'll be without our kids and this is something we'll check out. We loved all the activites in George Town, but it got a little busy for us. We loved the East End because it was so much more "islandy" and more tropical.

I agree...I think they are over the top. I didn't realize this until I tried to post something about Captain Marvins. According to them, there's only one snorkle company to use....which is the company that pays for advertising in their book. Although there is a lot of info (I love looking at the pictures), you have to understand you are getting a very small idea as to what is offered on the island.

We've been to a lot of islands...and we keep coming back to Grand Cayman. It's clean...the people are friendly...and it's safe. We want a vacation that we can rent a car and do some exploring...you can't do that (not safely) on many islands.

Ummmm...I can almost taste my Cayman Colada. Yum!

we went to grand cayman last winter and stayed at the comfort suites on 7 mile beach. two bedroom, kitchen sitting area. it was reasonably priced, nice outdoor bar and great beach. lots of the other places are quite pricey and this one had a complimentary breakfast, i thought it was ideal.

The last 2 years, we've stayed at the Wyndham Sunshine Suites and we love it. It's across from 7 Mile Beach (near the Westin and Ritz) and you can walk across the street to the beach (it's public access). The hotel even has beach chairs you can take with you. I found their rates to be very reasonable and everyone is so friendly. Also, the Sunshine Grille (by the pool at the hotel) has GREAT cheeseburgers, fish tacos, etc.

All of the rooms have a kitchenette withe fridge, stove, microwave, etc... so it's possible to do your own cooking (or at least make sandwiches, etc.) if you want to.

Have a great time!

Archived