Cash or Debit?

readysetcruise

i like the pre paid cc idea... or start saving fun dollars ..

steph

You CANNOT use the Prepaid Credit Cards...they do not have your name imprinted, can't be used for your S&S. Nope, nadda, no exceptions.

Had some folks get really surprised in line in front of last year on the Miracle...THAT went over real well.

IMHO, the debit card is the worst option. If you have a problem with overcharges or fraud on a debit card, it can take days for your bank to resolve the problems. If all you have is a debit card and something goes wrong and locks up your cash, you better have a credit card or something to fall back on.

Case in point...my inlaws.

Debit/Credit card number stolen from not so savory department store employee...(I don't know how, but she also managed to secure four other cards the same day).

She proceeded to run up $6000 in online purchases in a matter of two days to my inlaws account...

This debit card is also a VISA card, but their bank account was getting wiped out, so the bank froze the account, cut up their cards, and gave them $X in cash to get them through until new cards could arrive, a new account could be opened and the money transferred, not counting the investigation time.

Needless to say, they had no credit cards to back them up (they cut them all up and buy everything with their Debit card), and this proved to be very interesting to say the least. It was nearly two weeks before everything was straightened out...

As I have mentioned on here before, it really depends on the type of debit card you have, and your bank. Mine is a Visa, through the SECU. I HAVE had it stolen before, and within hours, the money was back in my account... My business AMEX was stolen at the same time, and it was more of a hassle (although not much, but more than my debit card)... so I guess it depends on your bank. If you don't have enough money in there to cover any holds, plus all of your charges, I would suggest you use a different form of payment... I also make sure I take backup money in travelers checks, and if all else fails, I'll use my Amex... I think it is a personal choice, and there is no wrong way... everyone has a horror story, about every type of payment.

I have put onboard credit to my sail & sign card, if I have $500 credit when I get on the ship do I still have to use a credit card to secure my S&S card? I have never done this until this cruise and do I have to go to the purser's desk when we board to find out about my credit or will it just show up as credit I have already paid to my account? Thanks Linda

I have put onboard credit to my sail & sign card, if I have $500 credit when I get on the ship do I still have to use a credit card to secure my S&S card? I have never done this until this cruise and do I have to go to the purser's desk when we board to find out about my credit or will it just show up as credit I have already paid to my account? Thanks Linda

I'm sure it will be okay but I'd still check it at the purser's desk. Remember that you're going to the tips for the entire cruise charged to your S&S card as soon as you get it (unless you've prepaid those as well). Depending on how many people are on your account and how many days your cruise is, those could take a nice chunk out of that $500.

I am leaving tomorrow for a 4 day cruise and I jsut called carnival and they said that they use to hold 350.oo but now they only hold 50.00 for each sign and sail card. Hope that is true cause I am using my debit card.

Hope this helps

Thanks

SHelly

I am leaving tomorrow for a 4 day cruise and I jsut called carnival and they said that they use to hold 350.oo but now they only hold 50.00 for each sign and sail card. Hope that is true cause I am using my debit card.

Hope this helps

Thanks

SHelly

I believe that is how they do it now, but as your balance goes up, so does that hold ;)

Archived