Public Transportation - Messina to Taorimina

Will be in Messina on RCCL's Brilliance of Seas in Sept. Anybody have suggestions for public transportation to Taorimina. I have read that there is rail & bus but looking for details & other cruise critic member experiences. Would also consider local operator for day trip.

Regards,

Cory

Hi,

Yes, it can be done, but it is not easy. The train goes to the area below the town. Then you have to find the bus up as there wasn't many taxis. I tried to do it, but we found it too complicated with our poor knowledge of Italian and opted for the ship's transportation.

Dennis

We tried it last week and it is rather tricky. First thing I would do is, after leaving the ship, go to the information booth right at the pier. Pick up a map of Messina from them and ask the person working to circle the train station. It's not a long walk, but it helps to have a map.

At the train station, everyone we dealt with spoke enough English to explain which ticket to get and where to find the track number. The issue for us was that when we arrived below the town the bus to take us up to the top never came and after about a half hour we decided to grab a cab, which like the other poster said, are hard to come by. We shared a cab up with another couple and the cost was 5 euro per person. On the way back town there were only two of us and the cost was 15 euro total. However, we spoke to many people in the town that had no problem finding the bus and used it both ways, so I think it's the luck of the draw.

The bus from Messina is slightly longer and I don't think as frequent, but it does take you directly to Taormina, which the train does not.

Have fun on the trip!

We were on the Jewel last week and found it very easy to do it ourselves.

After getting off the ship we turned left and walked the sidewalk along the water until we found the train station---be sure and ask as the station didn't look like what we were expecting from the front. We bought our tickets in the magazine/tabac shop for about 9 Euros I think (maybe less). Do not forget to validate your ticket in the yellow boxes near the tracks. The signs for the trains are on the board near the tracks for the times. As several others were on our train after getting off we all waited for a bus for several minutes before we decided to get a taxi...they lined up to the right of the bus station...it was 15Euros each way but well worth it (we split between 3 persons). Once you get to Taormina go straight to the ampitheatre (I think the locals call it the Grecko theatre) and purchase your ticket. It is a hike up to the top but spectacular views. We then walked around and had lunch at a little spot before returning to the place where the taxi dropped us off to get the next train. Try to snag a seat as the 45 minute ride is too long to stand. I loved Taromina and would love to return.

We rented from Argus (www.argusrentals.com). It was inexpensive (about $50). If you do a search on these boards, you will find a lot of people have rented from them. We liked the freedom of going where we wanted, when we wanted, for as long as we wanted. Their office is across the street from where the ship docked (right next to Hertz, who wanted more than twice as much.) If you decide to do this, you would need to reserve the car before your cruise. (As with most European car rental agencies, they primarily rent cars with a manual transmission. Someone else did report that they rented an automatic but then when they got there all that was available was a manual, so if you absolutely can't drive a stick it could be a problem.)

Here is some more information I posted elsewhere:

Some notes on the car rental: Argus is a consolidator, not the actual company. I'm assuming that your car will come from the same location as ours. From where our ship (NCL Jewel) docked, we walked across the street and to the right. You will see a sign for Hertz, and the car rental office we used was right next to it. It was not clearly marked, and we walked past it the first time. It was very close to the ship and across from the Coast Guard station. The guy who worked there was very friendly and I told him his English was pretty good. Have him show you on the map the way to go to get on the highway to Taormina. It is a pleasant drive, but be aware that it is a toll road. We stopped at a store on the way and bought water, other drinks and snacks (much cheaper than on the ship!). As we got closer to Taormina, there were scenic overlooks where we pulled over and took beautiful pictures. I asked the guy at the car rental for information about the parking in Taormina. He wrote the name we should look for on our map, but I don't remember what it is now. We parked in a large multi-level parking garage and then walked out the top level. Be sure to take your parking ticket with you. When you leave, you need to punch it in a machine on top or you can't get out. We didn't know that and drove to the exit and then someone had to get out and go all the way back up with our ticket. We LOVED Taormina. In fact, it was one of our favorite places on the cruise. It is a beautiful little Italian town with flowers everywhere. The view driving up there and from the town itself was just amazing. We were also going to go to Mt Etna, but after spending so much time in Taormina we didn't figure we really had enough time to go there, so instead we went to this beautiful river gorge called Alcantara.

Make sure you get directions at the car rental for returning the car. There are several exits off the freeway for Messina, so you need to know the right one. Also be sure to let the guy know what time you will be returning the car so that he will be there. Have a great time in a beautiful place!

Much thanks to everyone for their info.!! Decided to take ship shore excursion that does Taorimina on you own. Gives me 6 hrs. total. Let you know how it went when I get back.

Regards,

Cory

Archived