Sistine Chapel first

We followed the Rick Steves tour through the vatican (fantastic and moving) and ended at the Sistene Chapel (my wife is an art history major and artist and was in tears looking at it).

After the Chapel, you can go straight out to St Peters Cathedral - highly recommended route.

Rick Steves has never let us down on anything (except for the crazy path he took us on in the Roman Forum)

We were there July 27 th. The lines were a mile long at 9:30 so we returned at 2 and the wait was 10 min. But the Sistene Chapel was very crowded. It was full of very pushy,noisy Japanese tourists who kept banging into me. It spoiled the experence. Last time we went in the am and it wasn't busy.

I know that Rick Steves shares with his readers a way to visit the Sistine Chapel first. It sounds workable.... Will a guide let you do what Steve suggests?

I have a copy of his Italy 2005 but don't see this shortcut described.

What exactly does Rick suggest? TIA

Yes, but has any one done the Sistene Chapel first using a guide? Will a guide let you do what Steve suggests?

I just checked the Vatican Museum chapter in Rick's "Best European City Walks & Museums" - it doesn't reveal this 'workable' shortcut taking you directly to the Sistine Chapel either. :confused:

• 2 weeks later...

We went through the Vatican museum and Sistine Chapel twice in the same day (long story - looking for missing hardware off purse and retraced our steps) I don't see any signs that allow you to do Sistine first and other parts later.

It seems to be a premapped route and you can't get pass the map room, raphael rooms, etc. first. Kind of like IKEA.

Sistine is really crowded, and they constantly tried to 'shish' people, but to no avail.

notmartha - Thanks!

You answered the question. So they DO allow you to visit twice on the same ticket! You Can re-enter the museum AFTER seeing the Sistine Chapel when it would have no crowds. Yes you have to walk through the museum first (by using the quickest route :D ) But you would be able to see the Sistine Chapel all alone without the crowds.

notmartha - Thanks!

You answered the question. So they DO allow you to visit twice on the same ticket! You Can re-enter the museum AFTER seeing the Sistine Chapel when it would have no crowds. Yes you have to walk through the museum first (by using the quickest route :D ) But you would be able to see the Sistine Chapel all alone without the crowds.

Yes, we definitely did that last July. Took about another hour to do the 2nd round, and had to go through Sistine again :) , even though we found the hardware before Sistine.

I don't know if its really possible to see Sistine "all alone" unless you are the first group into the museum and sprint to Sistine. Also keep in mind there are crowds that stand in your way on route. Some rooms are not that big and gets very crowded.

Archived