QE2 in Guernsey

Kindlychap

Does anyone have experience of QE2 in Guernsey?

Depends on the weather if you even get there!! did a mini cruise and it was unsure when we sailed if we would even get there due to the rough seas, as it was we did, tenders took us ashore in the heart of the town, and duty free shopping was pretty good !!!

And you get a different type of passenger from the one nighters !!!;)

cheers

Myles

Myles is right - I've been to Guernsey three times on cruises - it's only on this last visit that we actually made the island.

It wouldn't be the end of the world by a long chalk. We're going for the ship, not the stop!

Myles is right - I've been to Guernsey three times on cruises - it's only on this last visit that we actually made the island.

It wouldn't be the end of the world by a long chalk. We're going for the ship, not the stop!

Depends on the weather if you even get there!!

And once you are there where you anchor. Sometimes it is close to town, as in the photograph - sometimes a little further out by St Martins point - but you'll have a great view of the other islands - Sark and Herm - on the sail in.

Peter

Kindlychap - as a resident of Guernsey, I might have let one sentiment such as that pass - but to post it three times! Really! Guernsey is a lovely island, and has lots of history - including N-A-Z-I occupation in the Second World War.

Peter

I actually embarked Caronia there for mini-cruise - April 2004 I sailed e/b from NYC to Southampton on QE 2, then flew over to join Caronia in mid-cruise (no discount, of course!).

I thought it was a lovely place, and the tender ride to Caronia (w/ luggage!) was fast.

-Michael

In answer to the original posters question, we moored there the other way round but further out, so there's no telling which way it will be when you go.

Mark

PS I think the picture above was taken there!

Kindlychap - as a resident of Guernsey, I might have let one sentiment such as that pass - but to post it three times! Really! Guernsey is a lovely island, and has lots of history - including N-A-Z-I occupation in the Second World War.

Peter

I guess Kindlychap really doesn't like Guernsey?????? I assume we are to understand the he enjoys the QE2 no matter where she/SHE travels. I have dear friends (QE2 regulars) here in the States who visited Guernsey on a QE2 voyage, loved it and have recommended it heartily. On my To-Do list!

Be well,

Bobby

PS, Peter... I enjoy your posts and comments!

The weather forecast looks good so hopefully we'll get ashore this time. Guernseyguy, as the local expert, can you recommend a good place for lunch?

BTW why do the ships always go to Guernsey and not Jersey?

Many places in town (St Peter Port) for lunch - depends on taste & budget. On the Victoria Pier (the one along from where you will disembark) the Boathouse has good sea food, if you prefer a Bistro 'Christies' is pretty reasonable. If you fancy a trip out of town (10 mins by taxi ~£5) The Auberge has lovely views over town and the QE2's anchorage. See here:

http://www.visitguernsey.com/food/

and:

http://www.theauberge.gg/

Ships dock in Guernsey afaik as the deep water anchorage is much closer to town than the one in Jersey - and St Helier is much more of a 'city' whereas St Peter Port is a little 'town' - complete with pedestrianised High Street and VAT-free prices!

Peter

As a guernsey resident also, I agree with the comments of Guernseyguy. If you have time, make sure you take a tour around the island. You can do this on your own, as there are bus tours, or you can even just jump on a bus that takes a costal route which is only 60p.

I am sure that you will enjoy your visit to Guernsey.

I assume we are to understand the he enjoys the QE2 no matter where she/SHE travels.

Bobby1119

Im afraid some of us are like that!!! as the Cunard saying in days of old "GETTING THERE IS HALF THE FUN" for some of us its all the fun!!!

Bobby1119

Im afraid some of us are like that!!! as the Cunard saying in days of old "GETTING THERE IS HALF THE FUN" for some of us its all the fun!!!

Ah, but the one thing the interior of the QE2 lacks is.....a view of her exterior....what better way to appreciate the graceful lines of a true liner and then her size, when viewing her from a tender......

Peter

Using CC is wonderful because you get to hear from cruisers from all over the world. I just finished a novel set in Guernsey. The book was so-so, but it did prompt me to do some research on your island and its history. It is fun to have you writing about the towns and locations that I just read about. Don't know when I can cruise there but I like having contact with all of you.

Kathy

Given my three comments implying something is wrong with Guernsey, can I please make a few points in my defence?

• We are taking this trip having had a dreadful time on the one nighter. Not the fault of anyone on board other than one member of our party. Although I did have reservations on the one nighter, it is something we could do again - without this individual. I thought a short trip, with just the two of us, would be a good way of getting back to our love affair with the ship - not that (in any serious sense) we have lost it.
  • My wife has significant issues with Guernsey solely as a result of another individual. We had an appalling weekend there a couple of years ago, no fault being ascribed to the island (although Aurigney is dire) but the place has been poisoned.
  • I have been to Guernsey before meeting my wife, and have enjoyed it very much, both as a child and an adult. Other things being equal, I am sure she would too - save for the point mentioned above.
  • A lot of my family have come from Guernsey.

However our principle reason for going, is, as I said, to have two days on board with no-one to answer to other than ourselves. We don't really need a port to do this!

At least we don't have to queue for tenders if we do want to get off, which makes tendering so much more pleasant than I guess it must be if you have to get tender tickets and wait until all the tours have gone. Who knows what we'll do - but in the circumstances it needs to be my wife who decides.

Hope you had a pleasant day in Guernsey - in the end you were a little further out, off St Martins Point - and I took my visitors down to see the QE2 - which is still a draw , even after all these years! My visitors also met some of your fellow QE2 passengers at the Strawberry Farm (it was misty in the morning) - now its a lovely sunny afternoon - the 12 year old is at the beach, having a great time! Hope you all did too!

Peter

We haven't been yet!

We're going in October.....

But thanks for your good wishes!

Well - you should have been here today! It was wonderful! And what sort of weather exactly are you expecting in October!!!!;)

Peter

Archived