Sharing A Cabin With A Stranger

Rolls

Hi everyone.

Since I have been taken cruises, I have gone with other friends and we have had two to a cabin. However this time I will be on my own and sharing a twin cabin with a stranger.

Do P&O try and put someone in the cabin around the same age? I am a little worried that I may get a cabin mate that wants to party all night and keep different hours than me. Don't get me wrong, I like to have a good time too, however as I'm getting a little older, I do need my sleep, even on holiday.

Are you able to request a change of cabin if things don't work out?

I sure things will be fine, as I get along with most people, but maybe someone can tell me what happens if things don't work out.

Rolls

2002 Pacific Sky (September from Sydney)

2003 Pacific Sky (September from Sydney)

2004 Pacific Sky (August from Auckland)

2005 Pacific Sun (September from Sydney)

2006 Pacific Sun (September from Sydney) N628 17Sept.

i havent cruised on my own but on my last cruise one of our table mates was on her own and sharing with a stranger. as far as im aware they will try and match you with someone of the same sex and approx age. We also had an older lady on her own that was meant to share with a stranger and was told by p&o upon boarding that they couldnt match her with someone her age so she had a cabin to herself.

to be put with some one young may be to your advantage

on our last cruise we met a guy travelling alone who was probably in his 40s(hard to tell these days) anyway he was supposed to be sharing with a really young guy. The young guy met some other younger party animals and just went in their cabin. I dont know how he managed with cruise card etc but i am sure it is easily arranged

you will have fun anyway

karon

ps yes,also met an older lady (in her 70s or even more) who had travelled many times. she was in a cabin by herself as there was no one else to share with

As the others said they do try to match. If you are not suited I am sure they will endeavour to move one of you. We traveled with a group and through a last minute cancellation and subsquent ring-in ended up with 3 young party girls and a fourth who was one of their friends mother. Because there was empty cabins she was able to move to one of her own but at a small cost. Mind you we organised the group not P&O's share with stranger. So if it was their problem I am sure it would be complimentary.

My daughter travelled on her own and shared with a stranger, P & O try to match you age wise at least but they do sometimes put you on your own so I wouldn't worry too much. I'm sure they will listen to you if you find yourself with someone that you're not compatible with.

On a previous cruise a friend from work was also cruising with her sister and elderly mother sharing a cabin with one other unknown person. This person went out of har way to be really strange (for the want of a better word). She did somethings that made them feel really uncomfortable eg. using the hairdryer (which was then in the main cabin part not the bathroom) to dry ALL the hair on her body. This and other things made them see the Purser and they were eventually moved to another lower grade cabin which they were happy to do to get away from her. It was only when I heard at the captains club party how many previous cruises she had done that I began to think that it might be her normal way of paying for a 4-berth and ending up with a cabin on her own!!!:rolleyes:

But I am sure that this would be a rare occurence in shared cabins as Mum has shared a number of times without a problem.:)

....... that I began to think that it might be her normal way of paying for a 4-berth and ending up with a cabin on her own!!!:rolleyes:

:)

Probably. When I went on my Fairstar cruise I also booked by myself in a cabin to share with 3 others. A couple of weeks later a friend decided to come so it was 2 of us with 2 strangers. The other 2 didn't know each other and the 4 of us got along great. One of them was about the same age as us, the other a bit older (she was a mother whereas the rest of us weren't). Probably about 10 years older but as Isaid, we all got along great & spent most of our time together even when we were in port.

Karen

:) I shared a cabin with a stranger for 43 nights on the Aurora from Sydney to Southampton in Feb of this year. I was a bit worried on who i would be matched up with, but it was perfect! Iam a 42 year old woman and i was matched up with a 52 year old woman, it was perfect we got on fine. We didnt live in each others pockets but we did do quiet a lot together. She was on first dining and i was on second dining which worked out great as we wernt in each others way whilst trying to dress. Im guessing i was lucky because there were other shares that i heard wern't so good. Jackie (my share) lives in England we phone each other regularly, and are planning another cruise together. If need be i would share with a stranger again.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I am now feeling a lot better about sharing with a stranger, as if things don't work out, it looks like I can change cabins if needed. I'm hoping that my cabin mate and me get along.

Anyway next years cruise (have not decided what one yet), my friends will be back joining me again, so it will not be a problem.:)

Regards

Rolls

I believe I was told that if you want to share with strangers in a 2-4 berth cabin then the bigger discounts 40% off etc won't apply. Can people with first hand experience explain what the deal is with discounted prices and sharing with strangers.

I'd love to take a cruise sometime (not full price) but know i'd never be able to find anybody to go with me.

Hi Dunnas.

I have paid the discounted amount for a twin cabin. However I have now done a few cruises with P&O and have always received a discounted price after the first cruise I did back in 2002.

I think if you have not done a cruise before with P&O you will pay the full price for your first cruise, unless they have a special offer. After that, you should receive a discount each time you go.

It may pay to take one of those 3 night cruises first, see if you like it, then if so, take a 10 or whatever night cruise and get the discounted rate.

Regards

Rolls

2006 Pacific Sun (September from Sydney - N628 17 Sep)

Hi Dunnas.

I have paid the discounted amount for a twin cabin. However I have now done a few cruises with P&O and have always received a discounted price after the first cruise I did back in 2002.

I think if you have not done a cruise before with P&O you will pay the full price for your first cruise, unless they have a special offer. After that, you should receive a discount each time you go.

It may pay to take one of those 3 night cruises first, see if you like it, then if so, take a 10 or whatever night cruise and get the discounted rate.

Regards

Rolls

2006 Pacific Sun (September from Sydney - N628 17 Sep)

Thanks, but I was actually talking about advertised specials such as on www.bestcruises.com.au and if they apply at all if you wish to share with strangers.

Archived