Sending postcards?

pampaul

Sailing on the Dawn in 2 weeks and have never been on a cruise before. I'm wondering what the process is for sending out postcards? I'm sure I'd like to get a few of the ship and some from each port (Bermuda & Bahamas--don't know if there's any from GSC) BUT, I'm wondering where I send them from? Each island? If so, where would I find the post offices. Plus would someone know how much the postage is and how long it'd take the postcards to get back home (Connecticut)?

Sailing on the Dawn in 2 weeks and have never been on a cruise before. I'm wondering what the process is for sending out postcards? I'm sure I'd like to get a few of the ship and some from each port (Bermuda & Bahamas--don't know if there's any from GSC) BUT, I'm wondering where I send them from? Each island? If so, where would I find the post offices. Plus would someone know how much the postage is and how long it'd take the postcards to get back home (Connecticut)?

The DAWN was great ! Have a wonderful cruise. The customer service person at the desk in the Atrium not only sells stamps from each country but she was also kind enough to tell me ("Oh goodness, wait until the next Island to mail there, the postage is MUCH cheaper and the cards will arrive faster").

They know the proper amount of postage , she'll tell you which postage to use and you can mail them from right there. If the mail has gone off the ship for the day, she will tell you what postage you need for the next Island where they will send the mail off there. Make sure you check if the mail has gone before you buy the stamps so you'lll have the correct country for when the mail goes ashore.

Does the boat only sell postcards of the ship or would I find some of each island. If so, I'm thinking maybe I would buy all my postcards on the ship and the first night write them all out and send them out as soon as I can so they could probably get back home faster. Is these feasible? Is the post office easy to find in Bermuda (our 1st stop)?

The Dawn definitely offers a variety of postcards, representative of the itinerary that you'll be sailing. You'll find the postcard selection at the left end of the main reception desk in the atrium.

As a general rule, you can drop your postcards off at the reception desk. Unless they've changed policies recently, the ship usually takes mail off the ship about an hour before sailing in each port. I would ask if you can still count on doing it that way, in which case you don't have to search for the post office.

I'm betting you will definately arrive home before the postcards. We've mailed many postcards from the Caribbean, Hawaii, Alaska, Australia and Europe and have beaten them home every time.

Last January I mailed post cards from Grand Cayman and they arrived about 6 weeks later (mid-march). I have no idea if this is normal or not.

Yeah, must be normal. It took about that long for our postcards to arrive from Grand Cayman.

So the ship sells postcards, do they also sell stamps or do I have to buy that while I'm at shore and mail the postcard with the stamp from the ship? I also am in the habit of mailing postcards while I'm away ... Thank you.:)

Might as well save your cards until you get home! My mother in law likes to send post cards from our different ports so that the people can get different post marks.

She went to the customer service desk to get postage and the lady said that the mail went out in each port but she reccomended against mailing the cards in the Bahamas because it sometimes takes two weeks for people to get them.

My mother in law said that it didn't matter because she was after the postmark instead and so she mailed her cards.

The cards all came three days after we returned from the cruise. They were all postmarked from New York City the day after we disembarked!! (so basically, they just kept the mail on board until arrival in NYC!)

If your cruise is only stopping at Bermuda, Bahamas and GSC, your best bet is to get your cards on the ship, and mail them in Bermuda, preferably at the post office. Only chance of getting them back before you come back. Forget about the Bahamas and GSC.

My experience has been, if there are any U.S. ports on your itinerary (Florida,St. Thomas or San Juan) bring your own U.S. stamps and mail them there. Always had good luck in St. Thomas when it was our first port. They have a post office on the dock and the cards mailed from there always got home before I did.

Ok, I'll try to get them out in Bermuda. I'll buy the postcards the first day and write them all out. We leave on a Saturday and will be in Bermuda I believe on Monday. Where is the post office once we get off the boat in Kings Wharf?

Archived