Kids on formal night AND photo ID for kids

rebecca.sarge

Hi, quick question about how kids dress on formal night. We're very casual typically, so I don't have suits (or even dressy clothes) for the boys (ages 16 and 8) and don't plan on buying them a bunch of clothes and shoes they'll never wear again. I was thinking nice "Dockers" type pants in a dark color and button up shirts. Opinions before I go shopping?

Also, in case I change my mind entirely, do they rent tuxes on board, and if so, does anyone know for how much, and if I'd be able to rent a kids' tux for my 8yo? Though I doubt I'll need to...

Also, neither of my kids have photo IDs - my 16yo lost his school ID. Will this be a problem?

Thanks!

PS, we're on the 5-day cruise to Canada sailing 8/26.

we bought our kids 5 pc tux for $25.00 on e-bay........bring them home and sell them used for $20..........cheaper than renting, the kids thought they were "men in black/James Bond"........it worked great without $$$.....get a family photo and it will be priceless!

Ours didn't have photo ID...the 11 kept his sign/sail with his soda card....I held the 5 year olds things...no problems.

Check on the id thing because I'm pretty sure that your 16 year old will have to have one. When I asked when we booked our cruise on the Fantasy for this month they told us that our 16 year old had to but our 13 year old did not.

Put a Blazer and tie with those Dockers and the kids will fit in just fine.

I bought my oldest a Blazer this year as he can pass in down to the younger brother.

I found very nice Ties at TJMaxx for under $10.00.

If you can't find a blazer on ebay try asking neighbors or friends if you can borrow one for a week (bring them back a free deck of Carnival cards for a thank-you, and make sure to have the blazer cleaned upon return).

You can find nice suits and or blazers for a good price at the consigenment shops and maybe even shoes. Not long ago 14yos needed a suit and I found the pants & jacket for $4.00! and the shoes for $2.50:) then I found the shirt & tie at another one for $3.00.:)

We just got off the Conquest. My 14 yr old just wore nice pants, long sleeve shirt, and tie, and he fit right in. I was glad I didn't run out and buy him a blazer.

OK, that's good to know. If I find a blazer cheap (I'll look at the consignment shops and Goodwill, etc) I'll probably get it, but I think I'm leaning toward the nice pants, shirt and tie.

JMHO but this is a great chance to teach your boys about "formal nights" and what is requested. My four boys and DH are the outdoor-bak packing, flip flop type of boys/men. We, however, told them that they were expected to wear what CCL requests. First cruise the guys wore tuxes for pictures. This year the guys were disappointed they couldn't wear tuxes, as they wore suits with coordinating shirts/ties so pictures would look different. (Got every suit cheap!!!!)

Nothing wrong with teaching about expectations ,plus, now my guys ask about when they can dress up again!! They said it was a good reason to book a cruise for next year!

While it looks like you have plenty of ideas to solve your problem, I thought I could at least answer the other part of your question. Yes, you can rent tuxes through Carnival. There is a form on their website that you print out and take to a formalwear shop in your town, where they will take all the necessary measurements and fill them in on the form. Some shops charge for this, others do not. I think that most will charge for this since you are not renting from their shop. (We paid maybe ten bucks for my son and husband to be measured.) You call the number on the form and arrange for the rental over the phone--I think it must be done at least 5 days prior to your sailing date. It cost us $85 per tux (black jacket and pants, two formal shirts, the tie, cummerbund and studs...also suspenders, I think). We paid an additional $12 each to rent formal black oxfords. They can fit just about anybody from what I have heard.

Once you are on board, there will be a card in your room that you take to the "Formalities" shop to pick up the order. They even have black socks for sale in case you forgot to pack them----guess why we know about that:rolleyes: .

Yeah, it was a little pricey, but we couldn't find anything used that wasn't going to run us about the same amount of money. Local rentals were not any cheaper, and this saved DS and DH the hassle of having to deal with packing...and me having to deal with pressing! It was actually our 16 year old football player son who was the one that was insisting on wearing tuxes--LOL!

"Scout" aka Carol

Dayton, OH

Carnival Valor~December 2005

OK, that's good to know. If I find a blazer cheap (I'll look at the consignment shops and Goodwill, etc) I'll probably get it, but I think I'm leaning toward the nice pants, shirt and tie.

I would go with the pants, shirt, tie too.

Somehow I have found that teen age boys are not fond of navy blue blazers.

Thank you for the advice. Looks I'll be shopping for tuxes or blazers and going to the DMV for a photo ID for my 16yo. He'd lose his head if it wasn't attached. I better hang on to that card for him. :rolleyes: Thanks again!!

A lanyard that attached to a small plastic case will help. He can wear it around his neck or his belt loop.

I would have his card turned off of spending privileges jsut in case its lost-- he might not tell you its gone and someone who finds it might spend spend spend.. you do that at the pursers desk.

But he will need the card to get on and off the ship and its his cabin key.

Archived