Spiders?!?

Mooder

Okay, I was inspired by the CaveTubing-Snake thread to ask what I have been trying to pretend didn't bother me. Someone in that string said they saw a spider but no snakes. I have a spider phobia (remember the move?). Am I insane to even consider going to Central America? I live in New England and endure the frequent intruders living in the woods brings. I don't like it but I can stand it. But the thought of seeing a tarantula (or his baby brother) anywhere but in the movies makes me queezy. This is why I am avoiding the cave tubing. I'd love the tubing part, but the trek through the jungle sounds like a nightmare. :eek: I have loved my trips to the Eastern Caribbean. Am I crazy to go to the Western Caribbean?

While I'm sure it is possible to see all forms of insects and spiders along the path to the river, we really didn't see much last month. Remember that you'll be in a group and most wildlife (except the mosquitoes) will try to avoid all of that noise.

My wife doesn't share my fondness for spiders and snakes, but she had a great time on our Western cruise last month (GC, Roatan, Belize, and Costa Maya).

John

These are well worn paths. They would be the equivalent of the paths at your county parks. They are wide enough for two people side-by-side at their narrowest. There did not seem to be a lot of things that would draw the insects (like light poles) so the spiders wouldn't be overly attracted.

We had our guide in Belize coax one out of the ground. We would have never known it was there. Here is a photo I got of part of it.

spider.JPG

I would be more worried about being bitten by a mosquito with a Botfly egg than a spider.

Dave

Archived