Bringing Back Alcohol

LRISR

How much am I allowed to bring back? Technically I'm traveling by myself (my friend lives in a different state) so it's just me handling my luggage. I'm trying to figure out how much I can bring back and the best way I can bring it back.

Thanks in advance!

LR :-)

2 ltrs tax and duty free into US. Some states where you land have different rules. If you buy more than 2, you may be asked to pay a small tax or duty of about $2 per bottle so if you are living in a state that has high prices it definately pays to bring back a 6 pack. Check prices before leaving home and buy the items you like to drink with the greatest savings. I usually look for at least a $10 difference. I used to live in DC with low taxes and found as much as $20 savings on some plus you are getting a ltr instead of 750 ml. St. Martin prices are great on Front street. If your cruise stops in St. Thomas you can bring 6 if one is a VI rum. Rules ay 2-750's but Iv'e never been questioned on the bottle size. If you go over be sure to put it on your customs card. Most of the time it isn't enough duty to do the paper work and they will ok your purchase.

How much am I allowed to bring back? Technically I'm traveling by myself

So technically, you can bring back one liter, duty free. From the US Customs Border Protection website:

"Question

Can I bring back alcohol for my personal use or as a gift?

Answer

Generally, one liter per person may be entered into the U.S. duty-free by travelers who are 21 or older, although travelers coming from the U.S. Virgin Islands or other Caribbean countries are entitled to more. See our publication, "Know Before You Go" for additional information. Additional quantities may be entered, although they will be subject to duty and IRS taxes. Duty is generally 3% of value and the IRS excise tax is generally between 21-31cents per 750ml bottle of wine, 67 cents/champaigne, and $2.14/ hard liquor."

"Question

How much alcohol can I bring back from a U.S. insular possession (U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa, or Guam)?

Answer

The state you will be arriving in determines the amount of alcohol you can bring back for personal use. As long as the amount does not exceed what the state considers a personal quantity, Customs will allow you to bring up to five liters of alcohol duty-free within your $1,200 exemption. All of the alcohol does not have to be acquired in an insular possession. For instance, if you acquired 4 bottles from somewhere other than an insular possession the other one would have to have been acquired in an insular possession, in order to be eligible for the duty-free exemption. Additional bottles will be subject to a flat rate of 1.5% and subject the internal revenue taxes."

TSA will only allow five liters to be carried on an aircraft. None over 140 proof. So no DonQ 151.

Every year my wife and I declare at least 8 liters of liquor directly from St. Maarten. None of it was acquired at US insular possessions. We have never been charged any duty or taxes when passing thru U.S. Customs.

So for us, the limit is the amount of liquor weight we want to pack home as carry-on goods. IMHO, I think the customs agents are more interested in goods other than liquor.

I was just quoting the law, not how it is enforced. We too have not been charged, after declaring overage.

Again, TSA usually only allows five liters to be carried on an aircraft. After today, if you are going in the next month or two, that would have to be put into your checked luggage. Don't know if I'd chance too many bottles in my luggage.

I was in St. Martin last wk, and was told 5L per person, so thats what we brought back and were never hassled. Prices were def the best on front street. We took the water taxi, and the farther u go from the dock the prices got better (within a dollar or two).

I was in St. Martin last wk, and was told 5L per person....

A friend visiting St. Maarten was told by one of the merchants on Front Street that she could bring back Cuban cigars. She purchased 3 cigars as gifts, declared them on her customs form and had a very rude learning experience when she passed thru U.S. Customs. She had to pay a $200 fine, lost the cigars and was warned that she could be held in jail overnight. They also carefully examined everything in her luggage. Fortunately she didn't have a body cavity search. She can't wait to go back to St. Maarten to RIP TO MERCHANT'S TONSILS OUT!:mad:

Just got back from eastern caribbean last sunday. We were allowed to bring back 4 liter bottles per person since we passed through the US virgin islands. You are also allowed 5 cartons of cigarettes per person, which was great as I found Marlboros for less than $10.00 per carton.

Archived