tipping porters

We usually give them $20. They work hard and if the norm years ago was $1 a bag, surely they too deserve a cost of living increase. Our bags are of average size and weight, if they were heavy and/or larger, we would give them more. Now that $20 takes care of 4 bags. I do not consider that to be extravagant nor do I think that we are by any means wealthy.

Annieeee

Hey don't they get a decent wage before tips? Anyway, I usually tip $10.00 for the four of us each way. The porters, especially after your cruise, are very helpful.

Tip $2 a bag & end up tipping more than that cause they're really appreciated. I certainly wouldn't want to haul all that heavy luggage!! Don't think these guys make a fortune in hourly wage. They sure work hard, though.

I always tip a dollar per bag. I'm a little discouraged to hear some posters state that their luggage may not make it onboard if they didn't tip. People should do their job regardless of tipping and be glad their are people like "scubapuss" who are "BIG" tippers, or at least so they say.

Tip $2 a bag & end up tipping more than that cause they're really appreciated. I certainly wouldn't want to haul all that heavy luggage!! Don't think these guys make a fortune in hourly wage. They sure work hard, though.

Don't make enough?? Hey, these guys are dock workers - stevedores - one of the biggest and best unions in the states. They make plenty!!! The only reason I tip them is because I would like my suitcase to accompany me on the ship.:p

Yes, I tip everyone, even in ports where they say no tipping is required. That may be true, but I always tip anyway. ;) Like many others, I tip valets (dropping off and picking up), all shuttle bus drivers, taxi drivers, bellman...and basically anyone who handles my luggage. I just think of it as a cost of traveling.

Archived