Leaving the kids at home

Another thing I would like to input is that I spent a week every year with my grandparents on their farmette.

My parents did not go anywhere, they stayed home and I went away. IT WAS A BLAST. I learned to knit, loom, collect eggs, ride horses, pick berries, etc....

I would not trade that time for all the money in the world.

The rules were different (far more strict), sleeping away was hard (scary pictures on the walls!), the time spent was priceless. I learned so much about different households, how to conduct myself, and grew so much closer to my grandparents. This could not have happened on an overnight trip or "a couple of hours".

I truely feel bad for all of the children that are never going to experiance anything but home until they are old enough for college or moving away. How sad!

My Grampa passed away this year at 89 and I will always have those weeks to charish.

Your dilemma is similar to ours on our first cruise (1/06). My husband bought the tickets for just the two of us as a surprise anniversary gift. We went, and enjoyed the trip, but I missed the children terribly. I tried never to show it, as I didn't want him to feel bad about it. Funnily enough, though, he said to me mid-trip, "If I had realized how rough this would be for you, I never would have booked us without the kids." For our upcoming cruise, the kids are coming along, and I will not leave them behind again.

My point is, you stated that your wife was concerned. You should really have a heart-to-heart with her, and find out what she honestly thinks would be best. Your answer lies in what works best for your family, not in the opinions of outsiders. Yes, your wife may "be fine," but on the other hand, she may miss the children so much that she doesn't really enjoy herself. Think of it this way: if not taking the children along is going to make the vacation a great deal less enjoyable for your wife, then it will likely make it less enjoyable for you, as well.

I am also a homeschool mom. I have my children 24/7 but I can not imagine going on a vacation without my children.

I agree completely! As yet another homeschool parent joining in here, I have to say that, even though I enjoy an occasional break, I just can not imagine going on a vacation without my son until he is an adult. I have watched him grow from newborn to 11 years old in a matter of what seems like just a couple of years. No way will I miss the excitement and wonder of something as special as a family vacation in these last few years of his childhood. I have no problem at all with those who do, and understand the need to get away and unwind from time to time, it's just not for me. Once he's an adult however, he is going to have to get used to hearing... "I need you to pet sit for us again please, we're going on ANOTHER cruise!" :D

Have any of you other homeschool families taken a cruise during a time that most schools are in session? If so were there many children aboard? So far we have avoided that because we are worried our son won't have any children his age to hang out with.

Archived