What to wear on the ship (during sea days etc)

pampaul

I need to reassure my hubby that wearing his everyday clothes will be fine during sea days and once we get to the different ports (Bermuda and Bahamas) He wears jean shorts and tshirts. We'll be sailing on the Norwegian Dawn. He keeps telling me that he needs to go out and buy some different shorts (like the khaki kind) and different shoes (he doesn't own sneakers, so I told him he could just get a pair of these) plus some nice socks. I just don't understand his thinking. He says he doesn't want to feel "out of place". Now we've never been on a cruise before, BUT I'm pretty sure that during the day and once we're sight-seeing on the islands, you're allowed just "regular" dress, correct? Just please assure him that he will not look out of place if he wears his jean shorts and tshirts during the day on the ship. For dinner he will be wearing khaki pants, linen shirts and tropical shirts. (Mind you were doing the freestyle cruising so there are no formal nights).

Sales are a beautiful thing. He might be saying this so he can update his wardrobe, without sounding like a weeny. Sounds like something my husband would say. "Gee honey, there's a cruise coming up and I don't think these shoes are going to fit it." Means he wants new shoes. Men can be so passive/aggressive! :D

Trust me, he could care less about a sale, could care less about packing bulky clothes and could care less about updating his wardrobe. He's really not the type. He's basically worried that he's gonna be out of place if he wears jean shorts and a tshirt during the day, seriously. And I keep telling him that everyone else is going to be dressed this way (meaning very casual) I did tell him though that if he wanted he could go buy a pair of sneakers (he doesn't normally wear them, he wears his brownish hiking boot style shoe). But I guess if he wants to spend his money on that stuff when he's not ever gonna wear it again, then so be it. But I'm trying to convince him that he's not going to look out of place.:rolleyes:

Trust me, he will not be out of place at all. NCL is the least (mainstream) casual cruise out there. I hardly saw anyone wearing new anything, especially during the day.

Although, sandals may be a better choice than sneakers and socks. Khaki shorts may be more comfortable than denim.

Why not buy him a new outfit or two?

He might want more lightweight clothing, aka khaki shorts vs. denim and sandals vs. boots. The idea during the day is to stay comfortable [in the heat]. Or he could just hang out in his swim trunks by the pool with no shirt or shoes on...that usually works too.

I've been on NCL. You will see everything during the day. From jeans shorts with hole + ugly old T-shirt to slacks + collar shirts. If he feels out of place wearing jean shorts, I think you should buy him at least 2 pairs of nicer shorts + some polo or nice T-shirts. It's not like it's something he won't ever wear again, I'm sure he will wear this again in the next years.

For me, on the ship and for most shore activities (except Everglades air boat ride where I opted for shorts + tank top + sneakers), I wore mostly a short skirt + sleeveless polo shirt or nice t-shirt (form fitting type, not the ''regular'' baggy t-shirt) + light jacket in case the wind was cold. My friend who traveled with me (male) wore khaki shorts (bermuda lenght) + regular but nice t-shirt or polo shirts with sandals or sneakers.

If your husband wants to wear clothes on the nicer side, I say GO FOR IT please! He may like the experience of being ''dressed up'' if compared from at home and it will enhance his cruise experience.

Jean shorts and t-shirts are perfectly fine for daytime on board and at ports, but he might be more comfortable (cooler)--and fit in a little better--in shorts of a lighter weight fabric, such as cotton. Cargo shorts or Docker-style shorts are very commonly seen. Also some athletic-style shorts are worn. Nice t-shirts are fine, as are polo shirts and nice tank tops. White tennis shoes would be a lot better than brown, and my husband always uses them for walking for exercise on the ship and in some port--it depends on what we're doing. He usually wears sandals otherwise, though, for comfort in the heat. On sea days, my husband often just wears his swim trunks with a t-shirt. If we eat in the dining room during the day he changes to nice shorts.

There are some truly great buys out there right now in shorts--great time for a little wardrobe updating.

Archived