Just Got Back!

Irish708

Went to Grand Cayman this week, and had a great time! We went on Captain Bryan's tour and loved it! We went to the sand bar to meet up with the sting rays which was GREAT! I loved them..........they are wondrous , gentle creatures. Our guides were wonderful, and we all got to hold , kiss, and get pictures wth them.

We then went snorkeling which was also great. We saw sharks , eels and beautiful fish. Captain Bryan's crew did a phenomenal job.

Had just enough time to do some shopping. Bought liquor at Tortuga ,and it was incredibly cheaper than home. I bought Frangelica, Grand Marnier and Amaretta.

Souvenir shopping was quite high in my opinion, but they have a captive audience. Did buy perfume at the Pefurmeria or something like that, and found the prices to be good.

Welcome back! Thanks for posting for us. I have a question that I hope you don't mind me asking. Did you go to 7 Mile Beach? I am looking for a good place to go to on 7 Mile Beach after our morning stingray/snorkeling excursion. I would like a place that is not super crowded and has a place to get lunch nearby. Preferably I would like to try out some local food. Do you have any suggestions? I was considering Sea Grape Beach.

If there is no good local food restaurant near 7MB, can you recommend one in Georgetown? I would really like to avoid the hamuburgers/hot dogs type places, and try some Caymian food.

Thanks!

Sorry, but we did not have enough time to do anything other than the sting ray and snorkeling. We almost missed the cutoff to buy liquor. I know there are other posts about 7 mile, and if I recall, they were all positive.

I understand the food is quite high in price. While we waited for our tour, we went into a local bakery. Breakfast was about $ 9 US, and this was a small local place. We had wanted to go to Senor Frogs for drinks, but didn't have enough time. All in all, everything:( was considerably higher ( except liquor) than in the US. In our case, we were on the go, and just ordered room service when we got back to the ship.

Enjoy!:D

Welcome back! Thanks for posting for us. I have a question that I hope you don't mind me asking. Did you go to 7 Mile Beach? I am looking for a good place to go to on 7 Mile Beach after our morning stingray/snorkeling excursion. I would like a place that is not super crowded and has a place to get lunch nearby. Preferably I would like to try out some local food. Do you have any suggestions? I was considering Sea Grape Beach.

If there is no good local food restaurant near 7MB, can you recommend one in Georgetown? I would really like to avoid the hamuburgers/hot dogs type places, and try some Caymian food.

Thanks!

Depending on the number of ships in port, 7MB can get very crowded. You could take a cab to Sea Grape or Royal Palms. Both offer food, restrooms, chair rentals, and Sea Grape has Red Sail Sport which offers water sports.

There's several restaurants in or near the port area....

Breezes is right in the port area and offer a wide variety of options. I posted their menu at one point, so I'll look around and see if I can find it. Breezes is located in the building that has "Landmark" on it. You can't miss it. They have a small balcony which is neat to use. We sat and watched the people tender back to the ships. Breezes also has a bar menu (but you have to ask for it). It has smaller portions, and a few other things that aren't on the regular menu.

Hard Rock is right in the port area (just to the right).

Rackham's Pub is to the left of the port area. It's about a 5 minute walk, but they are right on the ocean. The food was pretty good, but it was the view we went back for.

When we were there, the US dollar was only worth 80 cents on the Cayman dollar (this was this past January). We almost always used a credit card, just because it was easier. When they bring your ticket, ask for them to tell you what it is in USD. Most of the places have a computer that will print it on the ticket, but a few will just write it on. Also, most of these places will add on a 15% tip, so make sure you don't tip twice. :)

I'll look around for the menu and if I find it, I'll post it for you. :)

Here's the menu from Breezes...

The bar menu isn't listed, but I remember they offered the following...

Coconut Shrimp (without the rice & peas, shoestring veggies and cornbread-it was $9.95, I believe. With the above items is on the regular menu).

Three small cheeseburgers (I think this came with fries.)

Crab cakes

Chicken Fingers

And a few other things, but I don't remember exactly. The bar menu had smaller portions or fewer side items on the menu. More sandwich/snack type things.

Regular Menu

Mango Greens...$8.25

Big Caesar with bacon 'n' garlic toast...$8.25

Cayman style conch Fritters & spicy Island dipping sauce...$6.25

Half pound, Peel 'n' Eat Shrimp! steamed in "Breezes Brew"...$10.95

Crispy Calamari "Misto" with Cho Cho & Pumpkin...$8.25

Curried Caribbean Samosas with yogurt "Raita" (mild) & firecracker jelly (hot)for dipping....$7.95

Classic Caribbean Crab Cakes...$9.25

House smoked Caribbean BBQ Ribs...$8.25

Cayman Conch Chowder bread Bowl with Bacon Crumbles...$6.25

Fresh Mussels! Kettle-cooked, three kinda way! *Creamy white & White wine*

*Mild Marinara Red* or *Lemon, Saffron & Thyme*...$9.95

Whole Fish Escovitch-Caribbean Yellowtail snapper, Island-style...$16.95

Juicy Jerk Glazed Pork Chop with mango chutney & mash...$15.95 (my middle son had this twice, he said it was really good)

Traditional, delicious West Indian Curry Chicken & Shrimp (mild, Island style) served with white rice * a pappadom crisp!...$13.95

Breezes' Kettle-Cooked Tropical Seafood Stew!-our signature spicy hot, "Fish Tea" with plenty of fish, shellfish & and good things. Real Hot...$11.95

10 oz. grilled sirloin o' beef with jerk butter & mash...$16.95

Today's Still Floppin' Fish-grilled-tomato & sweet pepper sauce, rice & peas, and veggie...$15.75

Red Stripe Dinner Plate-jerk chicken & ribs, rice & peas...$13.95

Tuna Melt-fresh grilled tuna steak "BLT" sandwich with jalapeno jack cheese & slaw...$10.50

Grilled sirloin steak & cheese sandwich...$11.95

Jerk chicken sandwich on "freshly baked bread" with cheese & slaw...$8.95

Rasta Pasta Breezes' jerk chicken & island veggies with our creamy three-cheese sauce tossed with seashell pasta...$11.95

Coconut Shrimp with rum/honey dipping sauce, Island-style rice & peas, veggies, and cornbread....$13.75

Just in case anyone is interested...I found the one I posted with the Hard Rock menu. I do think there were more things on the menu, but this is all that was listed in the delivery service brochure.

Hard Rock Cafe

Santa Fe Spring Rolls- $8.95

Potato Skins-$8.95

Chicken Tenders-$9.95

Haystack Chicken Salad-$12.95

Onion Rings-$6.95

Twisted Mac & Cheese-$13.95

Blackened Chicken Pasta-$13.95

Jerk Chicken Sandwich-$9.50

BLT-$9.50

Chicken Club-$10.95

Cajun Chicken Sandwich-$10.95

Grilled chicken Fajitas-$18.95

Bacon Cheeseburger-$10.95

BBQ Ribs-$26.25

Grilled Chicken Breast-$13.95

Went to Grand Cayman this week, and had a great time! We went on Captain Bryan's tour and loved it! We went to the sand bar to meet up with the sting rays which was GREAT! I loved them..........they are wondrous , gentle creatures. Our guides were wonderful, and we all got to hold , kiss, and get pictures wth them.

We then went snorkeling which was also great. We saw sharks , eels and beautiful fish. Captain Bryan's crew did a phenomenal job.

Hi Irish:

We are booked with Captain Bryan in a little over a week - the two stop tour.

A few questions if you don't mind:

(1) Were you on the two stop or three stop?

(2) How crowded was your boat?

(3) Which ship were you on? We are on the Miracle. Curious about how long it took you to get off the ship to tender in, and what time you left the ship.

(4) Also curious about the lines going back. There are only three ships in when we are there, so I am hoping it isn't too crowded.

(5) Something I haven't seen posted - did you (or anyone for that matter) tip the crew at the end? I was planning to, but not sure if it necessary or expected.

Thanks!

Ed

Hi Irish:

We are booked with Captain Bryan in a little over a week - the two stop tour.

A few questions if you don't mind:

(1) Were you on the two stop or three stop? We were on the 2 stop, and felt that was enough, we wouldn't have had enough time for shopping. One stop was the sting rays and the other snorkeling for about a 1/2 hour. We did start later than we had thought as they waited for a group for over an hour.

(2) How crowded was your boat? There was about 20 or so, and some had kids. I did not bring my six year old on it. He would have been fine for the sting rays, but not snorkeling, as the weather was rough, and you are in deep waters. Others who had kids with them, ended up getting out early, as they couldn't hold the kids and snorkel.

(3) Which ship were you on? We are on the Miracle. Curious about how long it took you to get off the ship to tender in, and what time you left the ship. We were on the Imagination, and docked on a Monday. There was a Royal Carribbean ship in port also. We got on the tender early ( 7:15), and had no problems what so ever, however the group that was late, said they waited 35 minutes to get on . Also, going back, the lines were quite long , but we shopped a bit longer, and were lucky to get on a tender that was just leaving, so we had no wait.

(4) Also curious about the lines going back. There are only three ships in when we are there, so I am hoping it isn't too crowded.

(5) Something I haven't seen posted - did you (or anyone for that matter) tip the crew at the end? I was planning to, but not sure if it necessary or expected. Yes, they mention that at the end of the excursion. We gave $10 for 3 of us, as we didn't really have personal attention, but saw others putting a $3 for five people...... . You put the tip in a jug , they don't actually come around , to know what you gave.

, Pictures are expensive. It is $30 for 2, only for the stingrays, they don't take snorkeling pictures. You also pay upfront and they ship a disk to you in 2 weeks. We did get the $ 30 package, and don't have any trepidations about not seeing the disk....... If I have a problem I'll let you know.

The time threw me off quite a bit. They are an hour behind, and the ship tells you to base everything on ship time EST. We didn't have a watch, and depending on who you asked, you either thought you had plenty of time, or were going to be late. Your return time will be ship time. In our case, we had to be on board by 3:30.

ENJOY we had a great time

Thanks!

Ed

SEE ABOVE !

Thanks for the replies and the menus! Did you have any problems in using a credit card? When you were shopping did you just use US dollars? I didn't know if there would be a currency problem.

We mostly used credit cards, but we also used trav checks and US cash...and had no problems with any. If you use cash (or a tc), they might give you change in Cayman dollars. But a couple of times we asked for USD change, and they gave it to us.

Everywhere we went, they would ask us if we wanted to know what the US dollar amount was...and both the Cayman and US appeared on all the recepts. Most places have a cash register that will do this automatically, but the ones that didn't, just wrote it in.

It totally hassle-free there. Everyone took a credit card (that we went to). We were there for a week and had no money issues at all. We're going back and taking less cash and tc's with us next time. There's an Amex office right in town if you'd need cash, but we felt very comfortable using our card. We tried to use our Amex card as much as possible, but some places didn't accept those, so we used our Visa.

Now, when we were on our cruise, we used cash only in Jamaica and Cozumel. They also both took US money no problems.

Breezes was probably our favorite restaurant...as far as a bar/grill type of place. :)

Have a great time!

Archived