stingray excursion & underwater cameras

gumballz

I've read in various places that some stingray excursions don't allow underwater cameras. Why is this?

Also, for those of you that have been on the Carnival Stingray Excursions, were you allowed to use your underwater cameras without any hassle?

Thanks!

I've read in various places that some stingray excursions don't allow underwater cameras. Why is this?

Also, for those of you that have been on the Carnival Stingray Excursions, were you allowed to use your underwater cameras without any hassle?

Thanks!

Went last week with Captain Marvin's. All three of us and many others on the boat took underwater cameras--no issues. They also had a videographer on board.

Cheers!

Jayne

:D

We were on a Carnival Sting Ray excursion in June. We brought an underwater camera with no problem. The tour also had an independent photographer and videographer. We bought their photos which they put on a CD before we left the boat and the DVD was delivered to the purser's desk before we left port. They were great!

Thanks! Did they offer the video on DVD? That would be a neat thing to show family & friends. An encouragement to get them to cruise! ;)

Yes. Erica (the videographer from VIP Productions) referred to it only as a DVD. When I watched part of it on the boat on the way back, there was some great footage of my girls kissing the stingrays. My older DD dove quite a bit at the snorkeling stop (Coral Gardens) and Erica let me know that she got some great footage of her, so I can't wait to see it! When we got to the Coral Gardens, Eric put on a wet suit and scuba gear so she could stay underwater and get shots of everyone snorkeling.

Cheers!

Jayne

D4, when did Carnival open up the excursions? We're 148 days out and they aren't open yet. Also, if you don't mind me asking....how much did the stingray excursion run you per person?

midimarv, Very good to know, thank you! Hopefully she'll get footage of our group. I'd hate to buy it and none of us be on it! lol

Thanks!

D4, when did Carnival open up the excursions? We're 148 days out and they aren't open yet. Also, if you don't mind me asking....how much did the stingray excursion run you per person?

I just got the answer to that question. Carnival says that the ship must make all final arrangements with the Islands and tour companies prior to releasing any tour information. It could be 60 - 180 days prior to sailing. They could not give a precise date. Just keep checking:D

midimarv, Very good to know, thank you! Hopefully she'll get footage of our group. I'd hate to buy it and none of us be on it! lol

No need to worry--she made sure she got footage of every person on Captain Marvin's tour. I tried to avoid her, and she even came over and told me she was going to get shots of me so stop it! :D LOL

Cheers!

Jayne

:)

Thanks!

We paid $42 or $45 per person. The 5 photos of us were on a CD for $20 and the DVD was $30. I think the prices vary with the tour company they use.

Although we booked one tour about 4 months in advance, we booked the Stingray one 3 weeks in advance. We had booked the Stingray tour with one of the highly recommended independents, but DH was in the hospital and got out less than 4 weeks before our cruise. We knew walking and standing would probably be difficult for him so we switched to Carnival so we wouldn't have tender hassles. It worked out great. Our boat had about 24 people on it, so it wasn't a 'cattle call' like I expected. Also, we got out to the Sting Rays WAY before all the other boats came. That made it more fun. The stingrays hung around us because we were the only source of food. When the other boats came, they spread out among them. I'll go with the early cruise line tour again next time.

We used our own underwater cameras on Nativeway's Rays, Reef, and Rum Point tour, and on their previous Stungray City and snorkel tour. Our videotape was great but was a bit pricier ($65). It was well done and brought back great memories when we watched it. The Nativeway tour that incudes Stingray City, a snorkeling stop, and a stop at Rum Point Bach was $60 for adults, $45 for age 10 and under; snorkeling gear provided. These guys are amazing! We only had 18 people on the tour and got LOTS of personal attention and time with the rays at Stingray City. At the snorkeling stop, Sheldon lured a nurse shark out of its cave for us to “pet” while it swam around, and also got a moray eel to come out for a swim. Rum Point is a really beautiful beach, and the food included in the tour price was excellent. (You order from a grill menu while on the boat and they have it ready for you when you arrive at the beach.) My daughter played beach volleyball, and my husband and I swam, snorkeled, and did a little shopping. We bought the DVD of our tour from the videographer ($65). It was well done and brought back wonderful memories.

D4, thank you for the information. I'm just waiting for the excursions to open up and then I'm going to book for us and for one other person that will be on the same ship. Glad you had a good time! I'm going to book the earliest one I can get.

:)

Archived