Curt Jerome Wild Help Me Please!!

mmndr4ever

I see you been offering lots of advice and I'm needing some.

My husband and I are Sailing on the Pride on Sept 3. When we return on the 10th, our flight doesn't leave out of LAX until midnight.

We're going to rent a car and need ideas. I was going to rent a car close to the ship but can't seem to find any car rentals close by that are open on Sunday. So, I'm thing of getting a shuttle to LAX as soon as we get off of the ship and renting the car from there so we can return it to the same location as we pick it up. Does that seem like a good idea or do you have other suggestions.

We need some advice of where to go. We're in our mid 20s and love to sightsee. We're from Mississippi and have never been to LA so we really don't have a clue what to do.

Thanks for helping!!!

I'm here, glad to help.

I'm about to go away for the weekend, but I'll check back with you next week.

In the meantime...

Give me more of a general idea of what type of people you are and what you like to do.

Active, outdoorsy, museums, shopping, roller coasters, people watching?

Just give me some generals to start with, and we'll go from there.

I'll check back on Sunday or Monday.

CJW

We are very active and like to do the amusement park thing. But I think we are more interested in seeing things we've never seen before while we're there. Like Hollywood, Rodeo Drive, etc. For instance, I think we'd like to go by the Hollywood sign and take pics. Or see the stars on the sidewalk. We'd probably like to park somewhere and walk around. Can you give us an idea of somewhere good to eat dinner thats not to expensive. I'm sure we won't have much money left after a week on the ship!! Does that you help any??

We are very active and like to do the amusement park thing. But I think we are more interested in seeing things we've never seen before while we're there. Like Hollywood, Rodeo Drive, etc. For instance, I think we'd like to go by the Hollywood sign and take pics. Or see the stars on the sidewalk. We'd probably like to park somewhere and walk around. Can you give us an idea of somewhere good to eat dinner thats not to expensive. I'm sure we won't have much money left after a week on the ship!! Does that you help any??

Absolutely...

Okay, not expert on car rentals, as I live here, so don't need to do that.

Let me know though, for my database what works for you.

(I do know that Enterprise has locations close to both Long Beach pier and San Pedro).

So, that being said...

Adventurous 20 somethings from Mississippi...

Defintely rent a car...

LA is a car town, so do that first.

Pride - Carnival - love it!

Alright, so you have probably about 10 AM to 10 PM (to get to LAX)...

Let's check on rental cars, let me know what you find, ....

From Long Beach,

Drive to the Hollywood sign, (I'm going to have to check on this, as I go here every so often, but it's a little tricky, so I'm going to have to check on streets/directions, I know how to drive there, but not sure on the specifics, I just know how to get there); take some pictures from below in the park (you're right near Madonna's old house, which I think is owned by Leonardo DiCaprio or someone else now at this point, but I'd have to check).

Get thee back down to Hollywood and Highland.

Kodak Theater (where they host the Oscars), Walk of Fame, Chinese Theater (footprints), Hollywood Museum (on Highland, in the old Max Factor building)....

Go down to Venice Beach, lot's of activity, and you should recognize it from Baywatch and 10 million other TV shows and movies...

Make sure you drive on Sunset Blvd. from Hollywood to the beach.

This is the best drive, you get seedy Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Brentwood, Pacific Palisades, and finally Malibu. Great drive to see a lot of different versions of LA.

If you want to eat here at the beach, then Gladstones, right at Sunset and PCH.

Food-wise, there are some decent chain restaurants at Hollywood and Highland, but, I'd get a snack and head down to...

Either (for current and new Hollywood eateries) Sunset Blvd.

Chin Chin's (California Chinese cuisine, and you "might" see celebrities)

ThunderRoad - lots of working writers and actors eat here (although I don't know if you would know them if you see them).

I have more, but those are options to start with...

Let me know what you think and get back to me...

CJW

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully you are still checking in...

I had meetings in Hollywood today, so took a big detour, and figured out how to get the best views and MapBlast the Hollywood Sign...

Check out this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=404640

And let me know if that helps, or if you need any more info or ideas.

CJW

;)

Okay, getting close, but in the meantime, check this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=405273

Lots of good restaurants for you...

I expect pictures, reviews, etc. from you after this trip...

CJW

PS Again, before I forget, when you are driving in your rental car in LA, put the radio on 93.1 FM. It's the newest hippest LA radio station, it's basically like "the history of rock and roll" radio station...

Songs from the 60s to current...

Also, be sure to pack "layers", both for your Pride cruise and being in LA.

The whole thing here is that there is no humidity, so the tempurature can be 90 degrees during the day, and drop to 60 when the sun goes down. Or we can have a cold wind from the north, or a hot wind from the Santa Ana winds...

You never know, so it's always best to plan and pack where you can add or subtract layers according to that day's and hour's weather.

Hopefully this is all helpful.;)

CJW

I'm not sure that you can get a rental car at LAX, as all of the rental offices are outside the airport. When you pick up your rental car after your cruise be sure you go to the rental office and not to the airport. Allow yourself enough time to turn your rental car in before your flight in case you have to take the shuttle to your departure terminal. When you reserve your rental car you can ask for details about the pick-up and return procedures.

petert

Archived