Proper attire in dining room

doninla

something[/i] underneath that robe!!![/size][/font]

:eek:

I am one of those people that tends to only notice attire when someone is dressed exceptionately well. The only exception, is the bathrobe in public thing. And the term flasher always comes to mind.

I just returned from a cruise on the Zuiderdam - Alaska and the dress attire for dinner on "casual" nights can include jeans. If you have your "Know Before You Go" book from your document folder, on Page 15 it states what clothing is appropriate. We did not wear jeans to dinner except for one night when we came straight from an excursion to dinner and did not have the time to go change. We much preferred wearing something nicer to dinner, but sometimes you just do what you have to do.

Thanks to Winegirl and MikeBrill for supporting my views on dress codes. My first travel by ship was in 1969 - the inaugural year of the QE2. Formal dress was required on all but the first and last night and it really was formal in the true sense of the word for all guests. I was dining (not dinning) in the Grill Room. Back then there was only one Grill, not Queen's and Princess as it would later become. Proper dress included patent shoes for men and all other accoutrements which made formal dress elegant and proper. Today, the dress code for formal is a real nightmare of styles. I agree that men are the worst offenders. Can't gentlemen at least wear a dark jacket rather than light tan, etc?? But take a close look at many of the women and you will see just as many strange styles. So, in my mind the question is whether formal nights are realistic today. Upscale cruise lines such as Oceania and Regent have gone to "country club casual" and they are much more upscale than HAL. I must disagree with others in another post who concluded that the amount of luggage for a country club casual cruise would be the same as for a ship with formal nights. If my upcoming 64 day HAL cruise were country club casual, I could pack less shoes, just one lightweight blazer, a few sweaters and some elegant shirts that could be worn without ties. As it is I must pack tuxedo with proper shoes and shirt, dark suit, light suit, two sport jackets, sweaters, etc. Perhaps some cruise lines could experiment by making some of their ships less formal but truly enforcing the country club casual code. It seems that it is the wave of the future. From my personal experience on Oceania and Regent, it does not diminish to the elegance of the cruise.

I hope to run into you, Amusea, on a future cruise. You sound like an interesting person, a little "old school," like myself, having been educated by the Sisters of Notre Dame. Part of my college education included the proper way to sit on the dais!

Can we all agree that robes belong in the Dinning Room, not the Dining Room?

Part of the entertainment on a cruise or any vacation that brings us into close quarters with others is the opportunity to "people watch" and "tsk-tsk!" There's always someone who commits the ultimate faux pas and that's how we learn how to behave (other than from what Sister Superior or Mom taught us.)

Archived