Give me a reason

umay

to get off the ship at this stop!!!

The all-inclusive resort sounds good or maybe a tour of Merida. How do I go about this???

Help Please!!

I'm thinking about doing the all-inclusive resort too, but it is pretty expensive considering I could just stay on the ship and have free food. $75 would buy a lot of drinks on board! I did find some pictures of the resort and it doesn't look too bad, just would like some imput from someone that has been there.

Julie

umay. I would be glad to share pics of Merida, Chichen Itza and Progreso for you to consider. Personally I don't travel to foreign ports to visit an all-inclusive and not explore the area and culture. But, that's just me.

• 1 month later...

We boarded a bus at the pier for a 4.5 hr excursion to Dzibilichaltun, nobody could pronounce it either so dont' feel alone. (zee-beel-shal-toon) is how the guide said it. Victor was our guide. Very knowledge Maayan decendent, fairly good English and funny humor. He talks about the city, history of the Maayans, the towns lack of "progress" despite it's name as such. You'll think you're being driven into the jungle on the way to the ruins but it's just in the middle of nowhere. It's a short walk up a gravel trail once the air conditioned bus stops. (all 3 buses provided cold canned drinks or bottled water for free). NOTE: one bus A/C went out so they transfered passengers to other buses for the return trip.

The ruins: pretty much as the photos you find on-line show them. Archaeological digs on-going, workers on site. They number the stones in red as they are removed etc. It's a fairly large area with plenty to see, but long walk to the major site (and it's HOT). The locals doing the work stopped working and follow the guided tours over to the "cenote" water hole. We summize they just want the free peep show when all the girls in bikinis decide to take a dip in the "pond". It truly looks like a lilly pond we have hear at home, more than a ceremonial cenote. There are fish, turtles and lilly pads over 60% of it. Our guide dropped bread into the water and a frenzy of small fish fed on it like "pirahna". It took a good 15 mts for somebody to be convinced to get in the water, but finally about 20 of our 50+ jumped in. Very cold from what my 13 yr old son said and you have to pull yourself out, there are no steps.....it was said to be 140+ feet deep.

The gift shops are reasonably priced. WE bought liters of water for $1 to take back to the ship since it's $3.25 on board. Soft drinks are also $1. Bought a Yucatan embroidered canvas bag for $10. The "restaraunt" up top of the visitor center is "at our own risk". We had other travelers tell us they were warned NOT to eat there. About half our tour group ordered int'l beers and nachos. Everybody seemed to like the food and didn't hear reports later of bad reactions. A few couples before we ate did mention that were told by other travelers to avoid the food there. To each his own. The return trip was exactly as the one out, same roads and sights. Very poor town and the beaches were NOT the clear blue Caribbean water you might want to enjoy. Plenty passengers took the shuttle back to the beach for an hour or so. But it's a LOOOONNG way back over the pier that juts out so be sure you have plenty time to catch the last shuttle back.

My final $1.50 -- i could do without this stop entirely. If you're a history buff and don't want to spend 7 hrs at Chitzan Itza, this is a shorter version with the same Maayn history ruins. But I'd save my money otherwise and enjoy more shopping and beach time the next day in Cozumel. (my reivew there under the proper city)

• 3 years later...

hdawson I agree 100 percent if you dont want to catch a glimpse of real Mexico go to the all inclusive or stay onboard But I promise you get your moneys worth of culture and history not to mention polite people by getting off the boat and seeing Progreso and or Merida.Oh did i forget to mention cheap beer.

to get off the ship at this stop!!!

The all-inclusive resort sounds good or maybe a tour of Merida. How do I go about this???

Help Please!!

We've done Progreso 3 times. Loafed around town once, visited Dzib on one trip and went to Reef Yucatan on the last one. Enjoyed each trip. If we go back it will be a trip to Merida. I cannot force myself to stay on the ship. I've got to explore.:D

BTW, the price thru AutoProgreso for RY is $45@.

It seems people either love Progreso or hate it. I REALLY have fallen in love with it!!! I have stopped trying to convince people to drop their fears and prejudices against this place. I figure the fewer people who get off the ship, the prices will stay low and the wonderful people of Progreso won't get a sour taste for rude cruise shippers.

It's just that a few people can't give up the phoney glitz of Cancun, Cozumel or the tackyness of boarder towns. They just don't have an interest in experiencing an authentic foreign culture.

Hola "C".

What's not to like about a beach you can get to with a free shuttle bus and a short walk? Seafood and cheap beer too. This doesn't look inviting?

2008JackiesCarnivalHolidayCruise045.jpg

Looks like the view from Le Saint Bonnet.;)

I've been to South Padre Island many times and it's a fun beach to go to. I am guessing that Progresso will not be as beautiful as Coz but I'm hoping it will still be even better than S. Padre. Has anyone been to both? I'm hoping it will be prettier and that will be good enough for me. Does anyone know?

Carly. Remember, Progreso was, until recently just the primary shipping port and fishing town, not fancy or phoney or commercialized. It, fortunately lacks the "glamour" look of fancy tourist spots. Progreso is a working seaport. It is a beach town for folks that live in Merida and other parts of Yucatan in July and August. Another good thing, it's not a spring break location. It's been a cruise port for just a few years. Hopefully, it won't change. So refreshing as it is.

I was wondering if the water looks like it does at S. Padre or if it is prettier than that. S. Padre doesn't really even have the green look that some people say Progresso has. I was wondering if anyone has been to both and can compare the two. I don't go to Padre on spring break- I don't like it when it's crowded. I'm just hoping I'll be pleasantly surprised that the water is even nicer at Progreeso as it is more closer to the caribbean. I'm not expecting clear blue water.

Hi H. Ya know I had never heard of Montejo cerveza until I started exploring yucatan today website. I have been telling my wife that that's the first thing I want to find when we get to Progreso in September!! And oh yes, the whole fried fish ...mmmmmmm.

To Carly: I have been to S. Padre, Galveston and Corpus and the water in Progreso is faaaarrrrrrrr prettier than in those places. It is more aqua colored than any on the TX coast, which runs from yellow to brownish tint. It is also SAFE, which is not something you can say all the time about TX beach water.

P.S.: H, have you ever tried the conch at Le Saint Bonnet? Just looking at the menu and it is something I might have to try. :)

What's not to like about a beach you can get to with a free shuttle bus and a short walk? Seafood and cheap beer too. This doesn't look inviting?

2008JackiesCarnivalHolidayCruise045.jpg

JD.....that looks great! What beach/resort is it, and are the food and drinks really as cheap as everyone says?

Hey Kingfish,

Intrigued by the house in Chixchulub. Will you be in the center of the crater?:)

I add my vote for Progreso. It's quite the opposite of Cancun, but if you are looking to see a more authentic part of Mexico, this is a good spot. The people are quite friendly.

I have been to Merida several times and highly recommend a visit. There is an excellent mercado there. Also a nice zocalo and anthropological museum, although last time I was there, none of the displays had English translations.

The Governor's Palace has murals that explain the Caste Wars and the plight of the Maya when the conquistadors arrived.

Ma Cruise

Hey Kingfish,

Intrigued by the house in Chixchulub. Will you be in the center of the crater?:)

I add my vote for Progreso. It's quite the opposite of Cancun, but if you are looking to see a more authentic part of Mexico, this is a good spot. The people are quite friendly.

I have been to Merida several times and highly recommend a visit. There is an excellent mercado there. Also a nice zocalo and anthropological museum, although last time I was there, none of the displays had English translations.

The Governor's Palace has murals that explain the Caste Wars and the plight of the Maya when the conquistadors arrived.

Ma Cruise

Here's the house. It's really just east of Chixchulub, right on the beach....awesome, we can't wait. http://www.cyberrentals.com/rental/p187569i

We are 8 adults so the rental works out to be very inexpensive. We just love this whole area so much better than the more commercialized places like Cozumel and Cancun. We plan to do lots of exploring for the week we are there.

JD.....that looks great! What beach/resort is it, and are the food and drinks really as cheap as everyone says?

This is the view of the beach in Progreso that you can walk to and it can't be far from Le Saint Bonnet Resturant. If you will look in the background you can barely see the ship 4 miles away near the end of the pier. The food at LSB is very good and the beers have gone up to $2 now. They were $1 on our first trip. You can still find $1 beer but you have to walk farther into town.;) This is a great little town to explore and shop.

Archived