Norway - Latest News

marktac

Read the fine print. The good deals applied to those who were on the sailing that didn't happen, not to those of us involved in the collision.

Here's what happened. In the middle of the night of the last night of the cruise we collided with a cargo carrier. Our bow hit the other ship broadside. We had to put on our life jackets and report to our lifeboat stations at 1:30 a.m. They lowered the lifeboats but we didn't have to get in. After standing on deck for 90 minutes, we were allowed to return to our rooms.

There were minor injuries but, largely due to the design of the ship (no cabins in the bow) no serious injuries or deaths. The other ship burned for 7 days and there was a 1-mile exclusion zone. We continued onto Dover under our own power (very slowly, however) assisted by tugs. Given the rules of the road in the English Channel, you would have to say that the incident was the fault of our ship.

The ship's bow was destroyed as was the starboard bridge wing and two lifeboats. I believe (may be incorrect) that she sustained $65M damage (in '99 dollars) and spent 8 wks in the yards.

I don't know what they offered to passengers who arrived in London to find their ship wasn't sailing, other than what I just read, b/c we weren't among these passengers. I hope they offered them a full refund, given that they didn't get to take their cruise. And, b/c most were either already in Europe or flying to Europe at the time of the collision, they had no option to cancel, rebook, etc.

They did none of those things for those of us who experienced the collision. They didn't even offer to, nor would they, reimburse even one call home to tell our and relatives that we were safe (which we needed to do b/c the CNN story showing pictures of the damanged ships failed to report that there were no injuries/deaths).

Here's what they did for us: sent us a $100 (NOT $300 as the press release stated) per person coupon off a FULL fare cruise booked within 365 days of our cruise. I sent the coupon back with a letter saying it wasn't acceptable. They sent the coupon back with a letter saying that was what NCL was doing - take it or leave it. I left it.

In fairness, we did get to enjoy the overwhelming majority of our cruise. However, there is a certain "trauma" when two 50,000 ton ships collide in the middle of the night. I don't want to suggest that I'm still traumatized; I'm not. And I've cruised since then (though not on NCL). But the memory remains vivid as does the memory of NCL's lack of concern.

In fairness, we did get to enjoy the overwhelming majority of our cruise. However, there is a certain "trauma" when two 50,000 ton ships collide in the middle of the night. I don't want to suggest that I'm still traumatized; I'm not. And I've cruised since then (though not on NCL). But the memory remains vivid as does the memory of NCL's lack of concern.

So let me get this straight.........You enjoyed your cruise that was over......NCL did a fine job in keeping everyone safe with their safety procedures........You did get a monetary refund and an apology which you refused........you will never sail NCL again because you did not get a free cruise:confused: .........so what is your point:confused: especially on this thread??

I believe that it is time to move on:)

So let me get this straight.........You enjoyed your cruise that was over......NCL did a fine job in keeping everyone safe with their safety procedures........You did get a monetary refund and an apology which you refused........you will never sail NCL again because you did not get a free cruise:confused: .........so what is your point:confused: especially on this thread??

I believe that it is time to move on:)

NCL did not do a fine job keeping everyone safe. That's the point. We were traveling N/S in the Channel; our job is to evade ships going E/W. We hit the ship going E/W broadside on a clear night. If you think that's safe, bless you. As a former naval officer, I don't.

We did not get a refund. We got $100 off a full fare future cruise taken within a year.

We did not get an apology. In fact, the letter specifically did not apologize. Read the press release -- no apology there either. I believe they called it a "courtesy."

I will never sail NCL again because I consider them unsafe and their customer service unsatisfactory. I accept that others may disagree.

Finally, these boards are for opinions. You have a right to yours. I have a right to mine.

So when are we going to see some photos of Norway on the beach in Alang? I have searched the net and have found none so far! I figured the photos would be all over the net by now...seems like there was more media coverage and photos of that French Aircraft Carrier that was turned away from Alang due to asbestos:confused:

Goodbye norway.

It's sad to say that it will not be long before we say goodbye to the ss united states and independence for NCL will most likly rid themselves of those ships much like they did the great norway.

there is intereting day by day commentary on ssmaritime.com about the events leading up to her beaching. It really is a sad day to see such a glorious ship put to rest.

NCL did not do a fine job keeping everyone safe. That's the point. We were traveling N/S in the Channel; our job is to evade ships going E/W. We hit the ship going E/W broadside on a clear night. If you think that's safe, bless you. As a former naval officer, I don't.

We did not get a refund. We got $100 off a full fare future cruise taken within a year.

We did not get an apology. In fact, the letter specifically did not apologize. Read the press release -- no apology there either. I believe they called it a "courtesy."

I will never sail NCL again because I consider them unsafe and their customer service unsatisfactory. I accept that others may disagree.

Finally, these boards are for opinions. You have a right to yours. I have a right to mine.

Sorry if you misunderstood me.........I meant that NCL did the proper procedures AFTER the "accident" . I also meant that your "opinions" are not relevant to this thread:) It is called "Hijacking" I believe this thread is on the Norway being scrapped:confused: Oh well........I could be wrong I guess:rolleyes:

I also meant that your "opinions" are not relevant to this thread:) It is called "Hijacking" I believe this thread is on the Norway being scrapped:confused: Oh well........I could be wrong I guess:rolleyes:

Woa-

People go off topic on almost every thread that goes over 10 posts.

Did I mention I got a new cat?

J/K

I agree that the collision in the English Channel is an interesting topic that merits discussion but in a new and separate thread. Let's all try to focus on the "death" of the Norway and related issues...such as why there have been no photos from Alang thus far?:cool:

Woa-

People go off topic on almost every thread that goes over 10 posts.

Did I mention I got a new cat?

J/K

What kind of car? Did you get a good deal? How much did you pay? Did you get any free upgrades? :eek: ;) :D

As far as pictures. My understanding is access to the area is very restricted. There have only been a few allowed in to take detaled pictures.

What kind of car? Did you get a good deal? How much did you pay? Did you get any free upgrades? :eek:

As far as pictures. My understanding is access to the area is very restricted. There have only been a few allowed in to take detaled pictures.

You goof:D She said CAT.........not CAR:rolleyes: Now this is really off topic:p

I was lucky enough to have cruised on the Norway... an unforgetable experience. Alot of people loved that ship (myself included) and its really sad to see how things turned out, its too bad she couldnt be put on the National Register of Historic Places (perhaps the SSUS is or could?) When a land based company owns an historic building and restores/takes good care of their building people notice, same thing when they let a building deteriorate until they there is no other option except to tear it down. A piece of maritime history has been lost. Ive followed how Star Cruises handled the situation, as others have, and on a personal note, my choice on which line to cruise with in the future with most likey not include NCL... unless they choose to redeem themselves with their decisions on the SSUS and Indy.

The SS United States is on the National Register of Historic Places, was listed back in 1999. I don't think that the SS Norway would have been eligible since she has nothing to do with American history. I hate to see her go, but this was the French National Flagship and they had no desire to save her.

Michael

Archived