time change question

need to get away

Hi everyone,

We will be on the Princess Diamon to the Mexican Riviera soon and are somewhat confused about how to schedule third party shore excursions, outside massages, etc, and are hoping someone has experience with this.

Having been on a couple previous cruises (without doing shore excursions), we believe the ship will stay on California time (we depart from San Pedro). So, when scheduling a shore excursion in Puerto Vallarta, if we schedule it for 11am (according to tour company), this would ultimately mean 9am ship time, correct? Same with massages at Krystal. If we schedule it for 6pm local PV time, it would only be 4pm ship time. Is this correct?

Sorry if I sound confused,:confused: but I am!

Thanks!

It may depend on cruiseline and what time of the year you go, but when we were on the Pride in April 2006, we changed our clocks forward 1 hour the first night! Funny thing was, it was "Spring forward" the Sunday we left so we were actually lost 2 hours in 2 days!!! Then, when we got to Puerto Vallarta, they were still 1 hour ahead of us (Mazatlan and Cabo were both the same as ship time). After we left Cabo, we turned our clocks back to California time.

Doesn't really matter - anytime was a good time for a Margarita! :)

I'm curious about the same thing. Puerto Vallarta is on Central Standard Time or Centre Daylight Time depending on the time of year. LA is, of course, on Pacific Standard Time or Pacific Daylight Time, depending on the time of year. So, there should be a two-hour time difference if the ship stays on LA time, with PTO two hours ahead of ship time.

So, by my calculation, if our ship leaves PTO at 11:00 p.m. ship time, that should be 1 a.m. PTO time. Hope this is correct.

If I'm wrong, someone correct me, please!

Try asking on the Princess board.

I can tell you that on Hal, the ship time changes to local time.

It makes thing so much easier and there is no confusion when booking excrusion since everyone is on the same time.

I'm curious about the same thing. Puerto Vallarta is on Central Standard Time or Centre Daylight Time depending on the time of year. LA is, of course, on Pacific Standard Time or Pacific Daylight Time, depending on the time of year. So, there should be a two-hour time difference if the ship stays on LA time, with PTO two hours ahead of ship time.

So, by my calculation, if our ship leaves PTO at 11:00 p.m. ship time, that should be 1 a.m. PTO time. Hope this is correct.

If I'm wrong, someone correct me, please!

As a general rule, ship's time on the MR changes from Pacific time (home port) to Mountain time during the night as you approach Cabo. Most ships stay on Mountain Time while in Vallarta. 1 PM ship's time (Mountain Time) would be 2 PM in Vallarta (Central Time).

If you are a real picky map reader, you will notice that Nuevo Vallarta is across the time line and is actually located back in the Mountain Time zone. This created so much confusion for tourist that the resorts and business in NV elected to have their clocks match PV. So NV time matches PV which is one hour ahead of ship's time. Did I lose you yet?

In answer to your question ... AS A GENERAL RULE, 8 AM on the ship will be 9 AM in PV & NV. 1 PM on the ship will really be 2 PM in PV & NV.

Here's where I mess with your day. Some ships, depending on the itinerary and Captain, actually change ship's time to match PV time. If this does happen, it would be on ships with an itinerary that takes them further south than Vallarta.

The Pride is scheduled to leave at 11 PM ship's time which is really mid-night PV time. I believe Diamond stays on Mountain Time too for ship's time and is also one hour behind Vallarta (local time).

Many people schedule the Las Veranos ziplines for 11 AM (local time) and a message at the Krystal Resort for 3:30 PM (local time) while they are in Vallarta.

Enjoy!

Archived