taking alcohol on board

SHELLYTEA1

How long can the career of a "alcohol sniffng dog" last?

Here Lashie, hrer Lasheee, burp.:D

Those who smuggle booze, how many other ways do you cheat in everyday life????

Never mind, I don't really want to know.

an

LOL!!!:D

We smuggled booze and cigarettes during our 8th grade school trip to San Antonio. Got majorly busted and had our parents called. Good thing I was allergic to cigarette smoke....I only got grounded for 2 days. Price you pay to have a little fun and live on the edge. :D

If you play, be prepared to pay.

I say we all smuggle a ton of alcohol, meet at the spa right after they drain it and pour all our alcohol in the spa along with some of Carnivals Friut Punch and get a really long straw to pass around. Its Garbage can Punch for all!

It is one thing to BYOB where an establishment has no liquor permit.

It is quite another thing to bring it to a restaurant where they sell alcohol.

I can not see that happening.

You can not bring your own spirits to a baseball game can you?

And a cruise is a very similar circumstance.

On top of the fact that you are breaking the cruise line's law.

Just cause you do 75mph in a 55mph zone and do not get caught does not mean you are not breaking the law!

If you insist that "smuggling" is OK then leave alone those who hog chairs and wear khakis to formal night.

It is one thing to BYOB where an establishment has no liquor permit.

It is quite another thing to bring it to a restaurant where they sell alcohol.

I can not see that happening.

You can not bring your own spirits to a baseball game can you?

And a cruise is a very similar circumstance.

On top of the fact that you are breaking the cruise line's law.

Just cause you do 75mph in a 55mph zone and do not get caught does not mean you are not breaking the law!

If you insist that "smuggling" is OK then leave alone those who hog chairs and wear khakis to formal night.

Apples and oranges... it's not a LAW, it is a guideline, big difference. Speeding is a LAW... if you disobey the "guideline" on Carnival, they will take it away from you, but you are now breaking a "law"

The cruiselines are just as upset with those that don't drink ANYTHING... those that they get NO revenue from. They get about $1K a week from me alone... my bottle of Bailey's isn't going to kill them :rolleyes: My neighbor could very easily spend less than $100... who do you think they are making more money from???? This cruise, I've ordered my bottle directly from the cruiselines now that I know you can do that... but either way, I'm not breaking a "law", and the cruiseline is still making a much higher profit from me, than they make on others.

And yes, I DO bring my own beer to baseball games... if I so desire, but if this causes you to lose sleep tonight, I will stop :D

Someone smuggling booze, which I neither condemn nor condone, will not affect your fellow passengers' cruise experience. (apple)

Chair hogs take available unused chairs away from fellow pax...which can negatively impact their cruise experience. (orange)

Those who dress casually for formal night detract from the formality of the occasion, which can negatively affect the cruise experience for many. (orange)

You are comparing apples to oranges. :p

Saying it is breaking the law may be a little bit strong, however every passenger on a ship enters into a contract with the company. Every person who recieves a ticket has already agreed to abide by these policies.

I know this has been posted before, but here we go again

"(e). Except as noted below, Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on Carnival’s vessels for on board consumption. However, at the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day only, wine enthusiasts may bring fine wine or champagne on board. A $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged should guests wish to consume this wine/champagne in the dining room, or a $14 corkage fee per bottle if consumed in the Supper Club. Prohibited alcoholic beverages confiscated in embarkation day will be discarded without compensation. Alcoholic beverages purchased in the vessel’s gift shops or at a port of call will be retained by Carnival until the end of the voyage. Carnival reserves the right to refuse to serve alcohol to any passenger. Guest acknowledges that the minimum age permitted for the purchase, possession or consumption of alcoholic beverages aboard Carnival’s vessels is twenty-one (21). Guest agrees to supervise all persons under age twenty-one (21) under Guest’s charge to insure that they do not violate this, or any other, shipboard regulation. Guests who attempt to purchase alcohol by using false identification or the Sail & Sign card of a Guest who is twenty-one or older will be deemed in violation of this policy. Any Guest twenty-one or older who attempts to or purchases alcohol for any guest under twenty-one will also be deemed in violation of this policy. Guest agrees that Carnival has the right to disembark any guest who violates this policy and as well as any adults traveling with minors who violate this policy or any other shipboard regulation."

To answer a couple of posts, I have been in plenty of restaurants in both the South and in Canada where a corkage fee is charged. I have also been to many where I have brought my own. The difference being those who have told me to bring my own have not had a license to sell alcohol

Anyway I think we are all straying from the point. To answer the original question, the cruise lines do not allow passengers to bring their own alcohol on board. However that does not stop people from doing it.

Saying it is breaking the law may be a little bit strong, however every passenger on a ship enters into a contract with the company. Every person who recieves a ticket has already agreed to abide by these policies.

"(e). Except as noted below, Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on Carnival’s vessels for on board consumption. However, at the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day only, wine enthusiasts may bring fine wine or champagne on board. A $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged should guests wish to consume this wine/champagne in the dining room, or a $14 corkage fee per bottle if consumed in the Supper Club. Prohibited alcoholic beverages confiscated in embarkation day will be discarded without compensation. Alcoholic beverages purchased in the vessel’s gift shops or at a port of call will be retained by Carnival until the end of the voyage. Carnival reserves the right to refuse to serve alcohol to any passenger. Guest acknowledges that the minimum age permitted for the purchase, possession or consumption of alcoholic beverages aboard Carnival’s vessels is twenty-one (21). Guest agrees to supervise all persons under age twenty-one (21) under Guest’s charge to insure that they do not violate this, or any other, shipboard regulation. Guests who attempt to purchase alcohol by using false identification or the Sail & Sign card of a Guest who is twenty-one or older will be deemed in violation of this policy. Any Guest twenty-one or older who attempts to or purchases alcohol for any guest under twenty-one will also be deemed in violation of this policy. Guest agrees that Carnival has the right to disembark any guest who violates this policy and as well as any adults traveling with minors who violate this policy or any other shipboard regulation."

To answer a couple of posts, I have been in plenty of restaurants in both the South and in Canada where a corkage fee is charged. I have also been to many where I have brought my own. The difference being those who have told me to bring my own have not had a license to sell alcohol

Anyway I think we are all straying from the point. To answer the original question, the cruise lines do not allow passengers to bring their own alcohol on board. However that does not stop people from doing it.

OOPs sorry ocifer, I dint no it was in my luggage:p :p

You can bring wine, which is alcohol, on with you.

Maybe you guys haven't been watching the news much lately, but you are setting yourself up for major hassle trying to bring any kinds of liquid bottles on board that aren't obviously medicine.

I haven't been paying attention to the cruise news... but are they also implementing the "no liquid/gel" rule on cruise ships now too??

I like my money to much to bank on it :D They would have to come up with a way to get your luggage to you once on the ship, and not the several hours it takes, just by the pure nature of being on a cruise. I certainly wouldn't mind... but I don't see it coming. They will be relaxing the rules at the airports soon enough (not that I think they should, but they will)... I just don't see it happening on a cruise ship. Either way, you CAN have liquids in your checked luggage... which is what I thought people were discussing :D

Yes I know, I just got back monday fom a cruise where I checked a 12 pack of bottled water with no problem. But the buzz in the industry is that the airline regulations are going to spill over to the cruises as well.

Yes I know, I just got back monday fom a cruise where I checked a 12 pack of bottled water with no problem. But the buzz in the industry is that the airline regulations are going to spill over to the cruises as well.

Which is fine... I don't carry many liquids in my carry on anyway when I cruise. I will miss my sunscreen and lipgloss, but I will survive IF it does happen.

I think the sunscreen and lipgloss will be safe.. just the beverage bottles which may be in question.

Well, if the "airline regulations" spill over into the cruise industry as you say, they wouldn't be fine ;) I just don't see it happening... but I wouldn't be surprised.

I think a ship is more similar to a hotel. The people that bring there own are the big drinkers. I myself have brought booze on every cruise. I still have a large bar bill. If it adds to your enjoyment then why not. I myself will be ordering a bottle for the room next time. It may cost more but saves on bagage space and any hassles.

I think a ship is more similar to a hotel. The people that bring there own are the big drinkers. I myself have brought booze on every cruise. I still have a large bar bill. If it adds to your enjoyment then why not. I myself will be ordering a bottle for the room next time. It may cost more but saves on bagage space and any hassles.

I paid $40 for a 1L bottle of Absolut from the bon voyage dept. Also $55 for a 1L of kahlua. Brought Bailey's in my checked luggage, but let's say I bon voyaged that too, for say another $55. Total bon voyage liquor cost would be $150.

When I asked for this triple-shot drink at the bar, I was charged $15. Ten at the bar would have been $150.

My estimation is that same $150 as a bon voyage purchase would have amounted to 22 drinks, which at $15 per at the bar, would be $330.

So bon voyaging saved $180. But bon voyage dept still profited roughly $100 (assuming $50 duty free cost for the 3 bottles they sold for $150).

What's my point? Just this: I liked the convenience of my own bar in my cabin. I didn't feel like I screwed them or they screwed me. And any money I saved over buy-at-the-bar prices enabled me to tip the cruisestaff generously.

Just do what you're comfortable with and what your conscience allows, and don't freak out if you get caught. Carry on booze is a lose-your-booze-if-caught penalty, which delays others in line if you're caught & start crying about it. Checked-booze is a returned-at-end-of-cruise penalty, a bummer, yes, but it doesn't impact your fellow cruisers. Bon voyaged booze is a legit happy medium that's not such a bad deal when you think about it.

It's your vacation. You've earned it. Just enjoy it.

PS: If you're going to St. Thomas, don't complain about prices unless you buy the most booze you can. Even at $3/bottle duty for excess bottles, it's still a bargain.

And while you're on board, check the Capers for any free liquor tastings. That's a price everyone can agree on :D

I paid $40 for a 1L bottle of Absolut from the bon voyage dept. Also $55 for a 1L of kahlua. Brought Bailey's in my checked luggage, but let's say I bon voyaged that too, for say another $55. Total bon voyage liquor cost would be $150.

When I asked for this triple-shot drink at the bar, I was charged $15. Ten at the bar would have been $150.

My estimation is that same $150 as a bon voyage purchase would have amounted to 22 drinks, which at $15 per at the bar, would be $330.

So bon voyaging saved $180. But bon voyage dept still profited roughly $100 (assuming $50 duty free cost for the 3 bottles they sold for $150).

What's my point? Just this: I liked the convenience of my own bar in my cabin. I didn't feel like I screwed them or they screwed me. And any money I saved over buy-at-the-bar prices enabled me to tip the cruisestaff generously.

Just do what you're comfortable with and what your conscience allows, and don't freak out if you get caught. Carry on booze is a lose-your-booze-if-caught penalty, which delays others in line if you're caught & start crying about it. Checked-booze is a returned-at-end-of-cruise penalty, a bummer, yes, but it doesn't impact your fellow cruisers. Bon voyaged booze is a legit happy medium that's not such a bad deal when you think about it.

It's your vacation. You've earned it. Just enjoy it.

PS: If you're going to St. Thomas, don't complain about prices unless you buy the most booze you can. Even at $3/bottle duty for excess bottles, it's still a bargain.

And while you're on board, check the Capers for any free liquor tastings. That's a price everyone can agree on :D

Nice post Splice. I am going to do the order from the Von Voyage Dept for a bottle as I dont want the hassle of packing it. Like your comment= You've earned it just enjoy.

Dan and Miguel

Your cabin is like staying in a hotel. There is no problems bring booze to a hotel. Now bringing my own booze to the hotel bar or ship bar is another thing. I would not be bringing my own booze to avoid paying for it at the bar. Just for the convience of having a bit in my room to get a buzz started or for a night cap before going to bed. I will smuggle it in my check bag, and if busted, then oh well, I know the risks!!!

Someone smuggling booze, which I neither condemn nor condone, will not affect your fellow passengers' cruise experience. (apple)

Chair hogs take available unused chairs away from fellow pax...which can negatively impact their cruise experience. (orange)

Those who dress casually for formal night detract from the formality of the occasion, which can negatively affect the cruise experience for many. (orange)

You are comparing apples to oranges. :p

Person smuggling booze into room - Breaking Cruise line Rule NO GOOD!

Leads to being more drunk.

Person Hogging Lounge Chair - Breaking Cruise line Rule - ALSO NO GOOD!

There are plenty of lounge chairs on a ship. You want right by the pool get up at 5 am to get one like the rest do.

I've NEVER seen each and every lounge chair occupied.

Person wearing casual clothes to formal night - Breaking Cruise line Rule - ALSO NO GOOD.

If you keep your eyes on your own table you will not see who is wearing what.

And if you see someone who is underdressed and you let it ruin your vacation then I indeed feel real sorry for you!

I see all 3 in the same category as far as I am concerned.

Violation of ship's policy!

Apples and Oranges never entered into it!

If not now, it's coming.... soon. Bank on it.

This is simply not true. They are preventing people from bringing liquids on aircraft in their carry on luggage. People why fly are not reunited with their checked in luggage until they are off the plane. Cruise people are reunited with their checked in luggage on the cruise. Therefore a ban on liquids would have to be a total ban on everything for a cruise. A notable difference and probably impossible to implement.

Second, the type of liquid explosives used will cause a small hole in an airplane. A small hole in an airplane with the pressure and violation to the air frame will bring in down. These explosives will probably not even penetrate a more sturdy ship frame. Even if it does, the hole will be small and with the pumps and other safety designs the ship won't go down. Another notable difference between the two.

Michael

I dont understand this, when you go to a restaurant/hotel/bar do you take your own alcohol with you then? If not, what makes it OK on a cruise ship?

I agree with you on this completely. People want to save money - so they disregard policies? How is that right?

I figure part of affording a cruise is also affording the booze that you will drink while onboard.

Shore excursions are overpriced. They would be a lot more affordable if you just slipped on the bus rather than paying for the excursions. Photos are much cheaper if you just take them rather than paying for them. T-shirts are much cheaper if you just slip them into a bag. What is up with these people anyway?

Archived