Maui Transit System

G&L in WPG

Anyone taken the new Maui transit system? We are planning on trying to take it from the Kahului Harbor to the Maalaea Harbor to catch the Four Winds Afternoon Snorkel.

I was also interested in the Downhill Haleakal Bike ride (out of Lahaina), but I can't find one outside the ship's tour (which is not available on line, possibly sold out?) that would be doable given an 8:00 Am arrival and 6:00 PM departure. Any ideas from anyone????

I have not used the transit system at Maui, so I cannot comment.

Haleakala is a long way from Lahaina. If a bike tour leaves from there, it involves a long shuttle ride. Kahului is a lot closer. The tours from the top of the mountain are all guided, because they start inside the National Park. The park requires guides for group tours. There are unguided tours that start near the park boundry that is about 75% of the way up. We took the Maui Sunriders Crater Express ride for less than $40/pp. http://www.mauibikeride.com/options.html

Get a rental car or taxi to the town of Paia by 9:00 am, where they take you up to the national park boundary, and let you go down at your own pace. It is all downhill, so virtually no pedaling. You get back around noon, unless you stop for lunch. You're on your own timetable.

JMO1,

Thanks for the info! It's that 9:00 AM start time that is the problem. I would have to leave from Lahaina, as I all ready have plans for our stop in Kahului which involve 5 other people and cannot be changed. Carnival lists this as an excursion on the general website, but if you try to book it after you have a booking number, it is no longer available. I think I shall give them a phone call.....

Took a look at the bus schedule - the schedule's definitely more friendly than it used to be. Trip from Kaahumanu Center (walking distance from the pier) to Maalaea is now 20 minutes which is very reasonable. They still only do trips every hour or so so you'll need to time things carefully or else find ways to kill time.

I still say renting a car is easier. But doing the bus is now a viable option for those that absolutely refuse to rent.

Spleen

Hey Spleen,

Glad you agree with my appraisal of the new schedule. I don't refuse to rent cars, I just do it when circumstances make it necessary. If there is a perfectly good and economical bus service, why rent a car? There will be at least 6 of us, so we would need 2 cabs or a full size rental (and there may be more than 6, we are a group of 24 travelling). At ports where I am interested in "doing my own thing", Kona for instance (sorkeling followed by coffee farm tours), I have reserved a rental car. In Honolulu, where everyone wants a tour, I have reserved a 25 passenger bus. In my previous travels, I have always found public transit a fun and interesting way to see new countries (well, Ok, sometimes it was a little (or a lot) scarey, but that's part of the adventure).

G&L - my comment might have been a little strong. I agree that public transportation is generally a good thing and that in many places, it's really the only viable option (such as NYC for instance). I worry in your situation though that with limited amount of time in port, you'd be losing valuable time waiting for a bus to arrive or to depart. OTOH, I also recognize the problems you have with such a large group.

I'm sure it'll work out either way.

Spleen

Archived