malaria pills?

starfamily

we are doing the exotic western on the sun which goes to belize and guatemalla, I saw that there is a risk of malaria in belize does that mean we need to get malaria pills from our doctor prior to going?

I have been to Belize twice and Guatemala once going on two different cruise lines and no one ever mentioned "malaria". Never have any problems. May I ask, who told you this???????????

Cruiseship travellers do not need take malaria pills.

People intending to camp out in the jungle over night for a week need to take malaria pills. The malaria carrying mosquito comes out after dark and mainly in swampy areas. So unless you intend to spend the night camping in a swamp without insect repellant, you are not at risk.

I would however bring insect repellant since plenty of other types of mosquitos can come out during the day.

I would however bring insect repellant since plenty of other types of mosquitos can come out during the day.

I totally agree about the insect repellant, we did the mayan ruins tour and the bugs were bad!!!!

And there was no mention of malaria or taking malaria pills from our Travel Agent or on the ship.

From "Malaria Risk by country" at travelershealth.com:

<<Belize: All, except no risk in Belize City.>>

I don't think cruise ship passengers need to worry, unless you plan on going on some expedition really deep out of the usual traveled ways.

There has been a malaria risk in most countries in Central America for many years. I agree with the other poster that most cruise ship passengers don't take anything for it.

Mosquito repellent is a must -- just search for botfly.

I mentioned to her about us doing the rainforest zip line and she went NUTS that we better get those pills and start them several weeks before getting to belize, she claims ( I have no knowledge if she is correct) that any mosquito can carry it not some that only fly after dark. I will call our family doctor this week to check into it.

You can also not donate blood for a year if you have been to the ruins in Mexico. I assume because of malaria risk. BUT I don't know if that is the reason for sure.

Guess those mosquitos will get you there and here (west nile). pesky little buggers.

• 3 weeks later...

Last year when we were supposed to go to Belize I called the foriegn travel nurse from our health dept,she said malaria mosquitos are night biters and are out from dusk to dawn. But you do need good repellent against other mosquitos,since there are other things you can get.Onlysister is right you can't give blood for a year if you go to Belize city. My daughter works at a blood bank and told me that.

:) Well there's a couple of things along with a bug repellent you can do, if your worried about getting bit.

I'd worry about Malaria also, but I've have my exprience working in a pharmacy and the pills are needed if your going to an area that is well infested mosquites nesting on top of water. They tend to lay eggs there...and of course infest the water supply with the virus, 9 times out of 10 it's for areas as deep in the jungle, isolated villages with a hit rate of sick people and so forth. The cruiser above is right mosquites tend to do more biting after dusk. The malarie pills I've been told and from reading the pamplets that come with the medicines are not a walk in the park. Have to keep totally hydrated but your local Rph can and will advise you of what you need to do and what regimen needed to be followed. And of course start them before you are to be in an area of concern. Plus of course ask your doctor if your still unsure if you need them or not.

However, areosol bug repellents tend to gag people, a few years ago, Avon put out a product called Skin so Soft, and was rated as one of the best lotions with a bug repellent in it. I've used it for kids for chiggers and mosquites, it works, the Rph I worked for recommended it to alot of clients, and it's not that expensive, plus pure vanilla works as well around the key areas(behind the ears, knees, elbows and ankles). For some reason they don't like the smell. And of course the stinkiest thing is garlic tablets, garlic is good for a number of things for health as well as for insects that like to bite and hold on(ticks that is). Plus if you do get bit and it possibly gets of course itchy or irriated, try a bottle of Chiggerex Plus. You can pick it up at your local walmart, stuff blows off the shelf all the time. it's a 1.75 oz bottle and runs about 2 to 3 dollars, I swear by it. It's for all bug bites. Smells a little but WORKS. Here's the upc # if you go to your local drug store and they don't carry it they can order it. 3-02743-87002 a little goes a long way.

So I'm not an expect but I worked in a pharmacy for 4 years, learned a few things, but being a mom of 4 some things come in good use. And it helps save time and money were it matters.

Archived