Second regular Transatlantic Ship

tumeroll

Given all of the angst and problems related to flying across the pond, Carnival/Cunard might well look into buying back the Cornia and putting it into regular Transatlantic service or use it on the current QE2 runs and putting the QE2 back into regular Transatlantic service. I bet they could fill both the QE2 and the QM2 for this run with folks that would rather sail then fly. This would allow for a weekly run out of both NYC and Southhampton.

I'm not sure it would become THAT popular since a transatlantic crossing is 6 days instead of a 6 hour flight. For a two-week vacation in Europe, someone would need to take 4 weeks off and invest way more money than for a flight.

I'm not sure it would become THAT popular since a transatlantic crossing is 6 days instead of a 6 hour flight. For a two-week vacation in Europe, someone would need to take 4 weeks off and invest way more money than for a flight.

Given that there are approx 70,000 people who fly from the US to England every week plus at least that many who go else where in Europe, only 4% need to opt for sailing vs flying and given the chances of something nasty happening in the air, there may well be that many or more who are retired or otherwise have the time to make the more relaxing Transatlantic sail.

It would be popular with us. DH won't fly, so that's how I got him to Europe and back with me. Sure, it takes more time and costs more, but it certainly is more enjoyable!

It would be popular with us. DH won't fly, so that's how I got him to Europe and back with me. Sure, it takes more time and costs more, but it certainly is more enjoyable!

I totally agree that it is more enjoyable, I'm just not sure that they could fill a second transatlantic ship every week.

I'm not sure it would become THAT popular since a transatlantic crossing is 6 days

A Transatlantic is only five nights if done at a reasonable speed - Cunard made it six to reduce the fuel consumption and to reduce the number of passengers they had to find to fill the ship each year. I think that, if the demand is there, five night transatlantics are a strong possibility. I wonder if they could commission a new ship that would take the Blue Ribbon?

The Blue Ribband was awarded to the SS United States at a speed of well over 35 knots. I find it unlikely that any ship will best it in the near future, unfortunately. :(

Now, maybe if Cunard reused "Getting There is Half the Fun..."--or for that matter, advertised at all!--there could be some sort of profit in a transatlantic service with two small or medium-sized ships.

A Transatlantic is only five nights if done at a reasonable speed - Cunard made it six to reduce the fuel consumption and to reduce the number of passengers they had to find to fill the ship each year. I think that, if the demand is there, five night transatlantics are a strong possibility. I wonder if they could commission a new ship that would take the Blue Ribbon?

Caronia is a gem that should have never been dumped. My 2 week Med cruise in 2000 was as near to perfection as can be in terms of the ship itself, accomodations, and the comaraderie that developed among the 650 passengers. It would also be nice to have QE2 back on the regular TA run, but that is unlikely. I hear filling QM2 is difficult. QE2 was considered for a run for the Blue Ribband in 1987 after she was re-engined, but it was considered too potentially damaging to the new engines and the idea was tabled. Her 1987 sea trials reached 36 knots, I think.

Given that there are approx 70,000 people who fly from the US to England every week plus at least that many who go else where in Europe, only 4% need to opt for sailing vs flying and given the chances of something nasty happening in the air, there may well be that many or more who are retired or otherwise have the time to make the more relaxing Transatlantic sail.

Nah,

If everyone started taking translatlantics, then they would simply target ships, already feared to be a target these days (Witness the security surrounding many New York departures- especially "Special" ones such as July 4th- symbolism is a favorite of those trying to make a political point)

I suppose if they had some sort of "ferry" type service- Quicker, say 3-4 days (is that possible?) Which was more transportation and less "luxury" or vacation type set-up then those who wished not to fly, might do it. But the cost would have to be competetive to flying. Even thinking about going to Florida by train (And I LOVE the train) vs flying. Our 1 week vacation would have to increase by 3-4 days. If it were also more expensive, then it becomes less attractive.

Just my opinions, of course,

Karie,

Who missed y'all. I've been away for two days from the boards and going into withdrawal! (Stomach bug or something)

There are designs out there for high speed passenger ships that could cross the ocean. Some use very slender hull designs, others are catarmarans (eg swaith used in a number of large 40+ knot ferries) and even tri-hull designs as used by some naval concept ships.

There are concepts like harth (very slender hulls on long legs that claim to be able to attain 80 knots in most sea conditions).

No one has built any of these ships in any real size so it is anyones guess how well any of them would work!

It would be nice to have the possibility of a three day crossing. You could do one way high speed ferry in three days and the other way in style taking six days on QE2/QM2. Handy for those who do not get unlinited vacation time.

There are designs out there for high speed passenger ships that could cross the ocean. Some use very slender hull designs, others are catarmarans (eg swaith used in a number of large 40+ knot ferries) and even tri-hull designs as used by some naval concept ships.

There are concepts like harth (very slender hulls on long legs that claim to be able to attain 80 knots in most sea conditions).

No one has built any of these ships in any real size so it is anyones guess how well any of them would work!

It would be nice to have the possibility of a three day crossing. You could do one way high speed ferry in three days and the other way in style taking six days on QE2/QM2. Handy for those who do not get unlinited vacation time.

If the cost were reasonable, I think I would do this in a heartbeat!

Marc doesn't particularly fancy a long airline trip (6 hours in a cramped environment where you have to climb over a sleeping passenger to go to the bathroom) even before 2001. IT's why we didn't book a Tahitian cruise when I wanted to. Even with a stop, he could not fathom that much time in a commercial jet. With all that has gone on lately with flying and things getting worse with more hassles and less comfort I, too, would prefer never to have to fly commercial again.

Okay, How do we convince the powers that be that this would be a viable service in this day and age?

And who are the powers that be?

Karie,

Who can dream, can't she?

And who are the powers that be?

We are! If enough of us book to start selling out crossings, Cunard may put the QE2 back on the run....(tho not for long.....she's taken a hammering over the years).....but the Queen Vic is not really up to the job......back to pre-1900 crossing speeds...

Peter

I have found a picture to whet everyone's appetite for how we will be crossing the pond in the future : the Euroexpress or Super Liner 300. It is very slender vessel (VSV) design that could cross the ocean at 60knots.

There is another similar design called "Per Gynt" I think.

Both look great. I do not think any true VSV design has been built much bigger than 100' long, so how it will behave as an 1000' ship as opposed to power boat remains to be seen.

If enough of us book to start selling out crossings

There aren't enough crossings when you can sail from the UK, spend a week in the States and then sail back:( If you forget about the time and financial considerations then the US is still out of reach by surface travel.

Archived