which line for amsterdam to budapest

brandybold

Having cruised from Budapest to Amsterdam on Globuse's Avalon Poetry during May of 2005, and having booked their Rhine & Mosel cruise for this October, I would say I am partial to Avalon and Globus. My initial choice was influenced by having used Globus for land tours in the past, and that they would have a network of experienced guides available for the included tours. This turned out to be so. My wife along with our traveling buddies were all well pleased with the included tours and the quality of guides. The included wines with dinner, although not great wines, were adequate and free poured during dinner. I would estimate 5 to 8 euro's per meal in bar bill savings. The quality of food and quantity of food, although not as plentiful as large cruise ships, was good to excellent, and although we booked the lower deck, least expensive cabin, it is the same 172 sq ft as the upper deck more expensive cabin. We have again booked the lower deck cabin and the cost is $1500.00 per couple less than the next upgrade. Examine the itinarary closely and you will find minor differences, while Viking takes you to Rothenburg, Avalon stops in Bamburg as example, also Viking is a 15 day vacation while Avalon is 16 days. I have friends who cruised with Amadeus and they loved it, My travel agent loves Viking and my experience with Globus Avalon has been excellent. either choice would provide you with a memorable vacation.

We are booked on the Globus Budapest to Amsterdam for next July on the new ship Tranquilty.. I chose Globus because I had traveled with them several times on land tours and I was always very happy with the tours.Also on reading the reviews all of the comments regarding Globus River cruising were very positive.

You also might want to considering reversing your direction and travel Budapest to Amsterdam.The weather systems travel north to south and that way you would move through bad weather rather then have it follow you the whole trip.Also it is a lot easier to get decent flights out of Amsterdam rather then Budapest.

DEEGEE----

What time did you arrive in Amsterdam at the end of your cruise? Was your Canal cruise in the morning or afternoon? I am trying to decide if we should stay an extra day in Amsterdam. I have been there before on a Globus tour but DH has not.

Do you know where I can get info regarding arrival and departure times for each stop on the cruise.I don't always like to go with the group and am trying to plan each days activities.

Thanks,

I have been looking for someone who had done this cruise.

DEEGEE----

What time did you arrive in Amsterdam at the end of your cruise? Was your Canal cruise in the morning or afternoon? I am trying to decide if we should stay an extra day in Amsterdam. I have been there before on a Globus tour but DH has not.

Do you know where I can get info regarding arrival and departure times for each stop on the cruise.I don't always like to go with the group and am trying to plan each days activities.

Thanks,

I have been looking for someone who had done this cruise.

I have phoned and E- Mailed Globus about times for our upcoming tour in Oct, but they cite river traffic and lock Shedules as affecting these times and do not publish them. I have put together a schedule based on notes i can find, hope it helps you.

Day 1

0930- Arr. Budapest, transfer to hotel Softiel

1300- Transfer to ship, Easy walk to central market and main Shopping Street , Vaci Ucta ( spelling )

Day 2

Morning tour of Budapest, afternoon free

Optional tours

The Hungarian Parliment $42.00

Jewish Budapest $38.00

Szentendre Ceramics Museum $46.00

Gulyas, Puszta, Paprika Horse Farm $52.00

We did not take any of these tours, we found much to see in Budapest esp. Central Market and St Stephens Cath.

Day 3

Early departure for Bratislava

1330- Arrive Bratislava

2300- Sail for Vienna

Day 4

0730- Arrive Vienna, morning city tour, Ringstrassa, walking tour, St Stephens

Optional Tours

Schoenbrunn Palace $48.00

Polkas, Waltzes, and Strauss $54.00

having been to Schoenbrunn we passed on this opt.

Music program is a bit touristy, but you must hear Strauss and Motzart while in Vienna.

We particularly enjoyed the Church of st charles de borremeo, about a 15 to 20 min walk from st Stevens

2330- leave Vienna

Day 5

0730- Arrive Durnstein ( a beautiful wine village )

1045- Sail to Melk

1430- Arrive Melk, The Abby is a Boroque Spectacular

2200- depart for Linz

Day 6

0730- Arrive at Linz

Optional tour to Salzburg, full day, rejoin ship at Passau $87.00 If you take the tour there is no Sightseeing in either Linz or Passau, We took this tour and found it well worth the money.

1630- arrive Passau

1830- Sail to Regensburg

Day 7

1030- arrive Regensburg

1400- coach trip to river boat up Danube gorge to Marksburg Abby Note: it is a long walk from the Abby to the coaches to return to the ship

1700- Sail to Nurnburg

Sorry I cant find my notes for stops at:

Day 8

Nurnburg

Day 9 Bamburg

Day 10 Wurtzburg

Day-11 Wertheim And Miltenburg

Day 12 Rudesheim

Day 13 Rhine Gorge, Coblenz

Day 14 0800 arrive Cologne

1900 depart for Amsterdam

Day 15 1230 Arrive Amsterdam

1400 Canal cruise 1 departs

1415 Canal cruise 2 departs

Day 16 Depart for airport 0600

Sorry for the gaps, but I hope this will help you

DEEGEE,

I know,I have tried to get info from them too. Your post helps me a lot. I have already scheduled 1 day in Budapest before the tour and now I think I will reserve a room in Amsterdam for after the tour for 1 day. I don't use the Globus hotels for pre and post stays as I can't see paying $450.00 when I can get a room in a very nice place for about $140.00.

I had not realized there would be so many optionals in Budapest. I have forund that many times it is just better to do those activities on your own.Much cheaper.LOL. Now that I know what they are I can go ahead and figure out prices.We did the Louvre for a fraction of what Globus was charging and really enjoyed it on our own.The same thing for a Lake Cruise in Lucerne.

If anything else comes to mind about the cruise please let me know.Thank you so much.

Have a wonderful time in Oct

I have never been on a river cruise before and I am looking forward to not having to have those suitcases out at 6 AM!!!!!!! Only unpacking 1 time is very appealing.

Thank you!

Archived