Belise on Our Own

princesk8

I've read that Belize is dangerous & not to go into town on your own, but many people have also suggested taking water taxi to Cake Caulker or Ambergis. Has anyone done this? What is your advise or suggestion? This is going to be our only port day that we sorta want to relax but also explore...please help, any advise would be appreciated. I try not to do ship excursions to save $$ & also so we can go at our own pace. Is thre any other good spots? Thanks!

My husband and I flew into Belize City in Early August. We stayed in Belize City at the Bakadeer Inn. It was very secure, and we always felt safe at the hotel. The streets are a different matter altogether. They can be dangerous, but if you talk to people, you meet some wonderful people, who take you where you want to go, or find a taxi that will do it for you.

Belize is not for everyone, but I think what you are planning to do in Belize will be fine. The islands are much more mellow that the city. You should not be afraid to walk outside of the tourism villiage. You can get some great prices fro the street vendors and from a lady named Grace who works for Belizean Handicrafts, near the Pirate Museum. ;)

You should have plenty of time, if going by ship though, I would suggest taking the ships tour, that way you will have piece of mind that the ship will not leave you if you are late.:(

Have a great time...my husband and I love Belize so much, we bought property in Southern Belize a few years ago. We hope you love Belize as much as we do.

Sheri:)

My wife and I have been to Belize several times on cruises and have left the "port shopping area" on our own. Its a matter of being aware of your surroundings and those who approach you. Here is a tip that seems to work in most Caribbean countries that we have visited, when someone approaches you and you are not interested in what they have, raise your hand with your fore finger pointing up and shake your hand from side to side, while at the same time giving the NO sign with your head.

Here is a quote from Lonely planet

Despite its chill-out persona, Belize is high in violent crime, with a murder rate six times that of the US. Much of that is confined to Belize City, but armed robbery, and to a lesser extent, sexual attacks on tourists are increasingly common in the in the Mountain Pine Ridge area and the ruins near the Guatemala border. Belize was once a haven for pirates and that tradition continues with modern-day coastal trafficking in drugs and weapons, so night-time travel is best approached with caution, if at all. When travelling by taxi, hire only cars with official green license plates and only the driver and no one else aboard.

If you are going boating or diving, ensure that your company is licensed and has enough safety equipment (ie vests) for all passengers. Pay attention to small-craft warnings, as some companies may choose to ignore them.

Archived