Has anyone cruised Funchal to Rome

RNBMN

We are considering taking the Voyager cruise from Funchal to Barcelona then Barcelona to Rome this Spring. This cruise departs Funchal on May 2nd right after it crosses the Atlantic for the summer repositioning to the Med. Has anyone taken this cruise in the past? We are wondering what the weather will be like. Will it be warm enough to enjoy the balcony, pool deck, ports, etc. We're also curious as to what the seas are typically like from Funchal through the Straights of Gibraltar this time of year.

Thanks!

Lynn and I have done the spring crossing from FLL-Monaco. As you can imagine, the weather can be quite variable at that time of year. Spring is better than Fall though. We had absolutely calm seas from FLL-Funchal and fairly calm seas from Funchal into the Med( long swell ). There was a day of rain @ St. Tropez and the seas were a bit rough. The rest was very nice. Temps were in the low to mid 70s and we used our balcony every day. Not much going on @ the pool except for a few sun bathers. Overall, it was a wonderful cruise and the med port were not crowded. I would recommend doing the trip from FLL-Barcelona or to Cavitavecchia(Rome), depending on how much time you have. We've done 2 Spring crossings and 2 Fall crossings. The Spring crossings are by far the best.

Hi,

My Mom and I did that exact cruise last May. It was the best vacation of my life! I wrote a very detailed travelogue, if you'd like to read it -- I can email it to you (too long to post here).

To answer your immediate questions -- the weather was fabulous! Warm, sunny, but not hot. It got a bit chilly during our excursion in Provence, but that's typical for the area when the wind kicks up. While on the ship it was always perfect weather for hanging out on the pool deck and catching some rays. The seas were a little heavy until we passed Gibraltar, but never enough to be a problem.

Feel free to ask any questions, and I'll be happy to answer them for you.

The seas can be rough on any crossing, but the Voyager is very stable and holds the sea well. I've done both spring and fall crossings for years and spring is usually more predictable than the fall. We ran into one rough storm on the spring Navigator crossing this year, but the other days were pleasant. The weather is usually comfortable for sightseeing and the ports are far less crowded. I'm just off the Navigator Dover/Monte Carlo and most of the ports were far too packed for any pleasant sightseeing.

Madeira is beautiful in the spring with the flowers just coming into bloom and the trees greening. I'd say go, plan to layer your clothes for comfort no matter what the weather. You'll have fun and beat the crowds.

Hi,

My Mom and I did that exact cruise last May. It was the best vacation of my life! I wrote a very detailed travelogue, if you'd like to read it -- I can email it to you (too long to post here).

To answer your immediate questions -- the weather was fabulous! Warm, sunny, but not hot. It got a bit chilly during our excursion in Provence, but that's typical for the area when the wind kicks up. While on the ship it was always perfect weather for hanging out on the pool deck and catching some rays. The seas were a little heavy until we passed Gibraltar, but never enough to be a problem.

Feel free to ask any questions, and I'll be happy to answer them for you.

LeeAnne,

Would it be possible for you to "copy and paste" your travelogue on this thread?? It doesn't matter how long it is... :) (Or start a "new" thread)

Host Dan

Well sure...it's a year old, tho. And I should warn ya that it is LOOOONG! I'm a writer by trade, so naturally it's quite wordy. Also, it's not exactly what you would call a review -- it's truly a travelogue, with lots of detail about the places, people and experiences.

I'll go dig it out and post it in a new thread a bit later today -- gotta go run a few errands right now in preparation for my Caribbean cruise that leaves in 5 days!

Archived