1/2 Day at Baths at Virgin Gorda: Skip the Rock Climb?

Leo Jay

bigmap1.gif

Based on this map, it seems most of the beach areas are accessible with little or no climbing, so if we only have a 1/2 day in Tortola, I'm not sure whether it's worth spending ~45 minutes each way (is that right?) climbing through boulders to see a few rock formations. I'd want to see some, but is it really necessary or worthwhile to do the entire course? Any feedback and clarifications appreciated. Thanks. :)

bigmap1.gif

Based on this map, it seems most of the beach areas are accessible with little or no climbing, so if we only have a 1/2 day in Tortola, I'm not sure whether it's worth spending ~45 minutes each way (is that right?) climbing through boulders to see a few rock formations. I'd want to see some, but is it really necessary or worthwhile to do the entire course? Any feedback and clarifications appreciated. Thanks. :)

IF you only have 1/2 day my recommendation is to stay on Tortola and go to a nice beach. The main point of the BATHS is to go through the giant boulders that make up the Baths to Devil's Bay.

Time issues - the ferry ride to Virgin Gorda will take 40-45 minutes. The ride to the Baths will take about 5-10 minutes. The walk down to the beach will take 10-20 minutes. This Beach (Bottom of the Baths) is quite scenic - so I suppose you could stop there if you wanted to. Going through the Baths will take about 20 minutes (This is of course assuming you don't linger to enjoy the experience - most people take at least 1/2 hour. I stopped at a natural tub and soaked for 1/2 hour - so it took me about an hour) Then you will want some time to enjoy the very scenic beach (Devil's Bay) at the other side of the Baths. Then you have to go back through the Baths and then back up the hill to the parking lot OR take the alternate path back to the parking lot (No real difference in time - since the alternate path is longer

(but does not involve climbing through giant boulders.) Then you have to get back to the ferry dock and take a ferry back to Tortola.

When pressed for time, you must be VERY careful about the ferry schedules.

Originally, we were going to stay on Tortola and go to Brewer's beach because we didn't want to spend so much time ferrying, but we heard so many great things about the beauty of VG, we decided to go, and to do the Carnival excursion so we wouldn't have to worry about possibly getting back late.

I was just surprised to then read about the rock path taking as much as 45 min each way; coupled with the ferry time, the four hour excursion seems to leave you with only about an hour of actual beach time. But maybe the rock tour is more of an end in itself than I'm giving it credit for.

We went to Tortola via the Legend on 8/21. We used Patouche to do the Baths. We arrived at their office before 8:30. We set sail immediately. We were at the Baths by 9:15. Swam short distance to shore. Guided through the Baths by Joe before the cruise crowds arrived. Got our snorkel gear and snorkelled with Joe as our guide. Headed back to Road Town arriving back there about noon. Had time to walk through town, stopping to get some souvenirs before heading back to the ship before 1:30. Couldn't have asked for a better experience.

I have been to many islands in the Caribbean but the beauty you will see in Virgin Gorda is like no other. No picture can show how beautiful this place is you must experience it first hand. Don't put a price on it. You just can't.

We did it on our own. In Tortola we walked to the ferry area from the where the Legend docked. Just ask at the information booth when you get off the ship and they will point you in the right direction. We took Speedys ferry over for $30. r/t p/p with cab fare to the Baths. The cab dropped us off at the top of the hill and we set a time for the return trip.

At the top of the hill is a very nice restaurant with a pool you can take a dip in and some nice shops. The admission to the Baths was $3. pp. The walk down to the beach was an experience in itself. We all enjoyed that part very much. The formations of boulders is just as amazing as the ones on the beach. This is not for anyone not in good physical condition. Once down by the beach you are free to explore on your own. We stood after the Carnival tours were long gone. There is a bar on the beach and some local vendors selling hand crafts.

My suggestions... bring your own snorkel gear and the rubber sneakers that you can walk on the rocks with and an underwater camera.

Let us all know how YOU like it. ;)

I have been to many islands in the Caribbean but the beauty you will see in Virgin Gorda is like no other. No picture can show how beautiful this place is you must experience it first hand. Don't put a price on it. You just can't....

Thanks for all the feedback. I have the snorkel gear (except the life vest, which I'll have to rent), and the underwater case for the digital camera. :)

Do you think I'd be okay climbing the rocks in watershoes? I dread the thought of adding sneakers to my already overburdened suitcase!

Dear Leo Jay,

I don't know how to swim either. You will be fine with the snorkel gear. The water is shallow in many areas. Little colorful fish swim right up to you even in the shallow water.

Water shoes would be great to climb up the rocks.

I used to always wear water sock shoes and found surf knocked them often off, or filled with sand. My husband is fine with cheaper style ocean pacific black sandals with nylon type straps (from Kohl's), which works well.

I being the klutzier one chose Keen sandals originally intended for sports like kayaking. Comfortable, sure footed. Not a cheap shoe, perhaps looking now as sporting stores may put on clearance. I think even Amazon carries some.

I like the funky colors, shoes also came in handy for amusement park wet rides. They are also lightweight.

Archived