"Must-sees" in Halifax and St John?

Hi, trying to whittle down the sightseeing list - we're sailing on Saturday.

I'm thinking the City Market, Barbour's General Store and the Jet Boat ride in St John and the Maritime Museum and Alexander Keith tour in Halifax.

It will be my and my 2 boys, 16 and 8. Are there any other crucial sightseeing experiences we should consider?

Thanks!

Hi rebecca.sarge,

I'm haven't been to St. John but for Halifax, you may want to try the Citadel also. It is a short distance from the Maritime Museum and you can get a great view of the city. The Public Gardens is a nice place to relax and enjoy the beauty of a park-like setting.

If you or the boys are in to history or ships, you can visit the Titanic (Fairview Lawn) cemetary. It may sound strange but you can really feel the saddness and history when reading the headstones.

We normally stay around downtown Halifax so that's about it.

Ed

for me, i never pass up a chance to see the whales. they say they will be abundant when i am there the 2nd week of sept. in halifax murphy's on the water only charges $45 for the tour. i cant wait to get out on the water and see them. i am going to do the same as you in saint john except the jet boat. be prepared to get soaked. the boys will love it :) .

debbiematt,

The Maritime Museum is about a 10 minute walk from the ship along the boardwalk by the water. The Fairview Lawn (Titanic) Cemetary is a few miles away (on Chisholm St). You can get a taxi at the docks. It shouldn't cost alot.

We will be taking a taxi to the cemetary in October when we are in Halifax on the Star Princess. We are also going to try the hop on/off bus this time.

Hope you all have good cruises.

Ed

• 2 weeks later...

As far as don't miss in Halifax ( I haven't been to St Johns) it really depends on what you like (and your children's interests) We enjoy history and nature (as do my kids) so we went to Peggy's Cove, the Titanic Cemetery at Fairview and the Maritine Museum. We loved all three and had time to explore each one to our liking. Shopping is never an important part of our cruise experience (except for local crafts or artwork) so I can't speak to that. Hailifax is a lovely port/city.

i never miss a chance to see the whales and have booked the whale tour with '' murphy's on the water ''. it is only about $35 american money and i hope to have good weather for it. if not the whales will still be doing their thing for us too see ;) . after that i will try to make it too any musiums close by and do a little craft shopping.

Archived