Question? Airfare lowered

PattyMichael

We are booked 9/2 Century, got air fare with Celebrity (custom air) the price 7 months ago was $2,438 round trip LAX to AMS.

I went on the web site the airfare is now $1,300, $650 each round trip!!

What can we do? We like the flights we are on. Are we able to get a refund from Celebrity, without changing our flights?

I am not on good terms with my TA. The cruise fare lowered and she did'nt request us a upgrade or credit, when I ask her about it she said it was too late. But many in my roll call got upgraded to CC class and or a credit to the credit card.

First on the airfare. While you offer no details, I suspect the airfare didn't get "lowered" from Celebrity but you have seen it elsewhere for less. Based on your dates, Celebrity has already purchased that ticket as non refundable and you should know that your TA has nothing to do with it and gets no commission from selling you the air through Celebrity. Further, except for charging a service fee, TA's receive no compensation from the airlines for selling airline tickets. In your case, if Celebrity got your tickets for less then they planned on, they pocked the differance. Also, be aware that, except on one way fares, you can usually do better booking air on your own. Even on one-way fares you can sometimes do as well as the cruise line and have total control of your flights.

On the cruise fare, why didn't you call sooner?

If your cruise is in two weeks I doubt that there is anything that you can do. Celebrity has already paid for your plane tickets and probably cannot get any type of refund. You also need to understand that the air arrangements are another source of revenue for the cruise lines. They pretty much have a set fee for the airfare they charge from one city to another. For example, if you want to fly from New York to Florida they will always charge you about $350 no matter when you make the reservation. They will then go out and buy the cheapest ticket that they can. If they only pay $200 for the ticket they don't give you a refund. This is the reason that most people book their own airfare, it's usually cheaper to do so since the cruise lines pad thier airfare charges with extra profit.

I am not on good terms with my TA. The cruise fare lowered and she didn't request us a upgrade or credit, when I ask her about it she said it was too late. But many in my roll call got upgraded to CC class and or a credit to the credit card.

There is nothing that can be done about the airfare. Once final payment in made they purchase your tickets.

As to your TA saying it was too late, the people one your board are correct. Yes, they can upgrade or refund even after final payment. I would try again letting your TA know you have friends whose agents got them refunds or upgrades when the pricing dropped. If they refuse to try, talk with the manager, if they refuse again. After you cruise let them know you are taking your business elsewhere and you will not be recommending them to anyone.

Took many agents look at the commission for the one cruise and don't want to lose anything. But in most cases, they are losing a customer and recommendations to their friends and family.

I am not on good terms with my TA. The cruise fare lowered and she didn't request us a upgrade or credit, when I ask her about it she said it was too late. But many in my roll call got upgraded to CC class and or a credit to the credit card.

There is nothing that can be done about the airfare. Once final payment in made they purchase your tickets.

As to your TA saying it was too late, the people one your board are correct. Yes, they can upgrade or refund even after final payment. I would try again letting your TA know you have friends whose agents got them refunds or upgrades when the pricing dropped. If they refuse to try, talk with the manager, if they refuse again. After you cruise let them know you are taking your business elsewhere and you will not be recommending them to anyone.

Took many agents look at the commission for the one cruise and don't want to lose anything. But in most cases, they are losing a customer and recommendations to their friends and family.

I beg to differ here, if your airfare was indeed thru Celebrity and it's on their site that the airfare dropped, they will indeed refund you the difference. On the one time that we booked thru them, the airfare dropped 3 times and they credited us back the difference each time.

Marilyn

I just called Celebrity, They said no refunds after ticket is purchased. This would be the same if we purchase on our own and the prices went down. It's a gamble. We will buy our tickets on our own next time, to have more control.

Thank all for you input

Archived