Wet Suits

NMCruzzin

Hello,

We'll be in Hawaii the first week of December - Maui for a snorkeling trip - will we need wet suits? About what temp will the water be? We were in the Western Carribbean a few weeks ago and it was perfect! :)

Thanks!

Jean

Carribean water is warmer than Hawaii.

Last year in Aug-Sept. in Hawaii, we did snorkeling just in swim suits in Hanauma Bay, and at the Ke'e Beach in Kauai. In west Oahu and in Kona, when we went on boat snorkeling/diving trip, they provided long wetsuit for all of us. It was quite good.

The following ocean surface temperature data comes from the National Oceanographic Data Center.

Honolulu, Oahu Island

76 76 76 76 78 79 80 80 81 81 79 77

Hilo, Hawaii Island

72 72 71 72 72 74 74 75 75 75 74 73

For each island the twelve numbers represent the monthly average temp beginning with January. While these are relatively warm waters you will need wetsuits. For this range of temperatures either a 5mm or possibly a 3mm thickness wetsuit would suffice. If your in the water time is less than an hour then a 3mm wetsuit would probably keep you warm enough. For any exposure over an hour or for water temperatures less than 75 degrees I would use a 5mm suit.

I would also consider using a hood, gloves and booties for additional comfort. When the water temp is 75 or less these items can make all the difference in the world as far as comfort is concerned. Look at it like this. It's better to have a piece of apparell and leave it in your bag if not needed than it is to shiver in misery wishing you had said item to wear.

Hope this proves helpful to you. Enjoy Hawii ans have a great day.

My wife uses a 1mm wetsuit that provides sufficient warmth and protection from the temperture and sun while snorkeling. She uses it wherever we snorkel. It also protects her from rocks and other water hazards she might encounter on entry and exit.

I don't use a westsuit when snorkeling anywhere because I'm not affected by the cold that much. However, I use a 3mm full suit in Hawaii for scuba diving and a 3mm shorty wetsuit in the Caribbean for diving.

I keep going back and forth about what we should wear for our snuba dive. I had considered simple poly/spandex workout tops, but now I keep reading about how sensitive some people are to cold water, so I'm worried we may not be warm enough. I don't swim, so I'm not used to ocean water in the first place, and I'm tall and thin with little natural insulation, and I don't want to have my experience ruined because I was too cold and uncomfortable. :( My girlfriend also tends to be a little sensitive to cold. On the other hand, this is our first time diving, and who knows when or if we'll do it again, so it would be irresponsible to spend money on wetsuits that we'll never use again.

We'll be in St. Thomas in September, if anyone has any feedback. Thanks.

We have been in Maui many times, and during all times of the year. I have never taken a wetsuit for snorkeling, even on Molokini. I have always been comfortable, even when in the water for hours. My husband and daughter who is only 8 were comfortable as well.

The water will be between 74-76 degrees in December, MUCH colder than the Caribbean in the summer!! If its cloudy, it'll be chilly so some kind of exposure protection may be in order. Just depends on your cold tolerance.

Personally, I wear nothing less than a 5mm full suit when I dive Maui, but my husband is comfortable in a 3mm full. I've seen folks wear everything from a t-shirt to a 7mm Farmer John.

Archived