Has anyone found out after booking that your cruise has a theme that is private?

browniegirl

Hi there, we are on the NCL Jewel next Jan 28th. While cruising CC I found a post where this particular cruise on the Jewel is a themed cruise called Rockin the Caribbean Oldies cruise. I thought, well, that sounds kind of fun with lots of older rock music type entertainment, but in investigating further found a website from a TA in the States that has organized this theme on the cruise and most (95%) of the events/music onboard are marked as "private". Now my question to you all is, if the cruise line hasn't advertised this theme and the events are marked as private, does this mean that the stardust theater is closed to the general public from 9:30 pm at night and the spinnaker's lounge is closed from 8 pm on some nights and the poolside is off limits some days because of "oldies" events (these are the times that are posted on the ta's website as the schedule of events)? I am quite upset to think that these areas will be off limit to us on the cruise. We are paying cruisers too and to be told we can't be around the pool at certain times or in the lounge in the evenings is kind of upsetting. Has anyone ever encountered this and what was it like?

Thanks!!!!

Leah

Wow, it is not good that NCL doesn't tell you that some of the main venues onboard will be closed!!!! I am quite dismayed to find this out, that we won't be able to be poolside or in the theatre/lounge is upsetting also.

Thanks for the info.

Leah

I would strongly suggest that you pick another date if you will feel left out.

Left out would be OK to me, but being shut out from areas that otherwise would have public activities would p-ss me off! At 95% marked "private" it sounds as if the big activity for someone not in that group would be sitting in their cabin.

-Monte

Is there any way, aside from calling NCL directly, to find out if there is a special group/theme booked on a particular cruise? I think when you book a cruise they should let you know that so you can make an informed decision. Seems like it would cause NCL, or any other cuiseline, a lot less hassle in the long run.

Left out would be OK to me, but being shut out from areas that otherwise would have public activities would p-ss me off!

-Monte

We wouldn`t want that to happen Monte:eek: That is why I suggest booking another date if possible.

That is why I suggest booking another date if possible.

I understand that and thank goodness for the OP that they discovered this is a theme cruise and there will be activities (many) they can't attend, and that these activities would take away venues/activities that otherwise would occur. I fear that others who booked this cruise won't be aware of that fact, won't have the chance to book other dates, and will come here complaining. And in this case, I would feel that their complaints would be justified. If it happened to me, I wouldn't be gruntled ;)

-Monte

Is there any way, aside from calling NCL directly, to find out if there is a special group/theme booked on a particular cruise? I think when you book a cruise they should let you know that so you can make an informed decision. Seems like it would cause NCL, or any other cuiseline, a lot less hassle in the long run.

Nope...........say the TA has blocked 250 cabins......the cruise line has to book the rest of them. Even if you called the line directly they will not tell you. They do not have the obligation to tell you. It is unfair, and I have to deal with this nonsence, as well as, the client.:(

Nope...........say the TA has blocked 250 cabins......the cruise line has to book the rest of them. Even if you called the line directly they will not tell you. They do not have the obligation to tell you. It is unfair, and I have to deal with this nonsence, as well as, the client.:(

Can't we just check with shoreguy? After all isn't his alter ego named "Colin"?

;) ;) ;)

-Monte

Thanks for the support everyone, frankly, I'm FREAKING OUT! I am royally ticked off that NCL didn't at least let us make that informed decision. Even if an event is poolside from 9pm on and is considered private, that means that the rest of the cruisers cannot go by the pool (whether they were or not does not matter, it is being told once onboard that you can't!!!), which upsets me...thanks for the support....

Leah

Try this one for a shocker on your honeymoon...Years ago (1982 or so) a few nightclubs and organizations got together to book a whole gay cruise from Ft Lauderdale to the Bahamas. It wasn't until everyone was boarded that anyone found out, that although a large part of the ship was booked by the group, there was perhaps 25% that was vacant and sold to the general public.

At dinner the first night (and most nights thereafter) there was a honeymoon couple at a table with all same sex couples, little old ladies watching shirtless men dancing all over the ship to "It's raining men" and the pool games took on quite a different ring.

Noone was told that there was private events and as we all know..the staff on the cruise line wasn't about to tell anyone that they cannot enter a public room. It was quite a shocking and at the same time eductational cruise for most---4 days in hell for others

It is more common that most cruisers think that there are large groups with their own private events going on..The last cruise I was on had perhaps 100 or so people from a large corporation that held private gatherings all over the place..then again only 100 wasn't so intruisive on the ship as a whole

Hi there, we are on the NCL Jewel next Jan 28th. While cruising CC I found a post where this particular cruise on the Jewel is a themed cruise called Rockin the Caribbean Oldies cruise. I thought, well, that sounds kind of fun with lots of older rock music type entertainment, but in investigating further found a website from a TA in the States that has organized this theme on the cruise and most (95%) of the events/music onboard are marked as "private". Now my question to you all is, if the cruise line hasn't advertised this theme and the events are marked as private, does this mean that the stardust theater is closed to the general public from 9:30 pm at night and the spinnaker's lounge is closed from 8 pm on some nights and the poolside is off limits some days because of "oldies" events (these are the times that are posted on the ta's website as the schedule of events)? I am quite upset to think that these areas will be off limit to us on the cruise. We are paying cruisers too and to be told we can't be around the pool at certain times or in the lounge in the evenings is kind of upsetting. Has anyone ever encountered this and what was it like?

Thanks!!!!

Leah

Yep,

I sort of had it happen in the mid 90s on another line.I was on an Amway cruise I believe.The whole ship was taken over by them.Everybody had badges and there were private functions everywhere.Pool events were all particpants from them and they were all friends.We felt like we were in a foreign country.Dinner was also weird,they were making announcements during dinner about their events,happenings,ect,ect.

They had special shore excursions and were given priority.They had blocked out all spa times.The spa times were all sold out prior to boarding.They were prizes.Even the Grand buffet had a big sculpture/centerpiece geared toward them.The waiters and stewards were also prepaid tip wise so they were kissing buttfor more cash.Room after room door was decorated with their stuff.Tables were set up everywhere with their stuff.The whole cruise was buddy buddy everything.Even show where audience people were needed were all friends up there.The daily video thing was all their stuff.

I was not happy and I did speak up but it did no good.Even at dinner,they changed tables all the time and that is all they talked about.When they found out you were not with them,they ignored you.Even the head waiter was all over them.We could not get our table switched to a non Amway table.How would you like to go to your dinner table and have it full?Then have to tell 4 people to move and have them give you a hard time,lighten up pal,there are seats elsewhere.How about shorts and t-shirts at dinner time.How about your waiter not helping you with that situation and the pursers desk being very little help.What did they do?They put a reserved card at our table.Now no one sat there except us.My wife and I and 2 kids.

I was on this cruise because CCL overbooked a 4 night cruise and offered me a 7 night for the same price on another ship on a particular week.

The only plus side was I was able to sit in areas that the waiters were refilling drinks at times for free.

Steve

Try this one for a shocker on your homeymoon...Years ago (1982 or so) a few nightclubs and organizations got together to book a whole gay cruise from Ft Lauderdale to the Bahamas. It wasn't until everyone was boarded that anyone found out, that although a large part of the ship was booked by the group, there was perhaps 25% that was vacant and sold to the general public.

At dinner the first night (and most nights thereafter) there was a honeymoon couple at a table with all same sex couples, little old ladies watching shirtless men dancing all over the ship to "It's raining men" and the pool games took on quite a different ring.

Noone was told that there was private events and as we all know..the staff on the cruise line wasn't about to tell anyone that they cannot enter a public room. It was qite a shocking and at the same time eductational cruise for most---4 days in hell for others

Wow, I'd say that would be a shock if you weren't expecting it, especially back in the early 80's! My grandmother would stroke out I think..... giggle.... and considering I have talked my parents and grandparents into coming on this cruise, I hate to get onboard and be restricted, I'll never hear the end of it!

Leah

Yep,

I sort of had it happen in the mid 90s on another line.I was on an Amway cruise I believe.The whole ship was taken over by them.Everybody had badges and there were private functions everywhere.Pool events were all particpants from them and they were all friends.We felt like we were in a foreign country.Dinner was also weird,they were making announcements during dinner about their events,happenings,ect,ect.

They had special shore excursions and were given priority.They had blocked out all spa times.The spa times were all sold out prior to boarding.They were prizes.Even the Grand buffet had a big sculpture/centerpiece geared toward them.The waiters and stewards were also prepaid tip wise so they were kissing buttfor more cash.Room after room door was decorated with their stuff.Tables were set up everywhere with their stuff.The whole cruise was buddy buddy everything.Even show where audience people were needed were all friends up there.The daily video thing was all their stuff.

I was not happy and I did speak up but it did no good.Even at dinner,they changed tables all the time and that is all they talked about.When they found out you were not with them,they ignored you.Even the head waiter was all over them.We could not get our table switched to a non Amway table.How would you like to go to your dinner table and have it full?Then have to tell 4 people to move and have them give you a hard time,lighten up pal,there are seats elsewhere.How about shorts and t-shirts at dinner time.How about your waiter not helping you with that situation and the pursers desk being very little help.What did they do?They put a reserved card at our table.Now no one sat there except us.My wife and I and 2 kids.

I was on this cruise because CCL overbooked a 4 night cruise and offered me a 7 night for the same price on another ship on a particular week.

The only plus side was I was able to sit in areas that the waiters were refilling drinks at times for free.

Steve

Did you manage to get any free Amway?:o

Oh my god! No offense to any amway sellers out there, but OH MY GOD! That sounded like a nightmare!!! I just don't like paying for something and then being short changed so to speak....

Leah

Almost as bad as having a ship half full of travel agents:eek: :D

Hi thanks everyone, I have notified my TA and he is going to look into it and see what NCL can do for us. I was looking forward to having the option of 2 show times a night (there will only be one on our cruise because on at least 4 of the nights, they have the theatre booked from 9 or 9:30 pm on), that way we didn't have to rush through dinner to get to the early show, having that option, etc, or letting the kids swim when they want, etc. I can understand having private functions on board, but when they impact the rest of the cruisers in quite a major way, then I have an issue. They have one of the lounges booked exclusively on the last night of the cruise and in the evening of day 6, the pool area is off limits for a "prom night" dance and band.

And even if we did not want to go to a late show or if we weren't going to hang around the pool on that evening, or hang out in that lounge that one evening, shouldn't we be aware of this change? I doubt NCL sees it like I do, but I hate feeling ripped off.

Leah

March 2004 we were on the Sun and a large group was on with the rock band Moe. They had all of their events later at night or during the day when the lounge or show room was not normally used. When they did the concert at the pool it was open to everyone. Ended up being a good cruise as over half the ship was up all night and slept all day. We never had a problem.

This happened to us on our last cruise. It was on the Carnival Valor, and a large group from the Dominican Republic occupied the ship. Apparently the group was all the girls from the school celebrating their quinceneras (sweet 15's) all together, and they brought along their friends and families.

Though they were very noticable and you could tell who was in the group, the whole ship was not taken over 24/7. They did have an event or two I can recall, but it wasn't THAT bad. The worst part was that they all wanted to have dinner together, and according to the maitre'd they took up an entire main dining room. Therefore, many passengers were denied their requested seating. We booked about a year in advance and still did not get our requested seating. When we went to change it, the maitre'd said he already had a TON of requests and simply could not accomodate them all.

There was also one night that the Lido buffet was closed to all cruisers because the crew was having a party (their families boarded the ship in one of the ports).

Archived