Expired Drivers License

cougar242

My husband has just realized that his license has expired--may not be able to get them renewed before we leave. Is this going to pose a big problem. Anyone else been in this predicament. We do not have passports yet. Waiting on them. He ahs birth certificate and all that other stuff... Any thoughts???

THanks

My husband has just realized that his license has expired--may not be able to get them renewed before we leave. Is this going to pose a big problem. Anyone else been in this predicament. We do not have passports yet. Waiting on them. He ahs birth certificate and all that other stuff... Any thoughts???

THanks

You can't just go down to the DMV and have it renewed?

THanks

I don't remember if they checked the expiration date or not. It must be more difficult there to renew than it is here. I think it only took me 5 minutes this year. Maybe you should call 1-800-CARNIVAL and ask them if they will accept an expired DL. I would try to get it renewed anyway - Are you driving to Mobile?

Since it is expired, it does not count as a valid photo ID. Someone may let it slide through, but I wouldn't count on it. If he can't get his driver's license renewed in time, will your state issue a non-driving photo ID on the spot?

LIVTOJUMP---

Sorry, but no he can not just have it renewed. We moved to Alabama and have out of state license and he has CDL's and it is not just that simple.

I did call Carnival and they said he will be allowed to board. I have debated having him fly up to NC and just having him renew there...

Not sure what to do....

LIVTOJUMP---

Sorry, but no he can not just have it renewed. We moved to Alabama and have out of state license and he has CDL's and it is not just that simple.

I did call Carnival and they said he will be allowed to board. I have debated having him fly up to NC and just having him renew there...

Not sure what to do....

I certainly hope that you're husband is not driving a truck with an expired CDL!

Welcome to Alabama - With Labor Day weekend coming up there is usually a campaign in AL with the Highway patrol where they do a lot of roadblocks to curb DUI drivers. DH might want to be very careful until he gets that new DL. ;)

I certainly hope that you're husband is not driving a truck with an expired CDL!

I do not know why I am responsding to your statement but no he does not drive a truck and has not in many many years. However, it is hard to get CDL's (so he says) and just keeps renewing with them on there...

I did not ask the question to get answers as to why dont he jsut renew them. He has a very hectic work week before he leaves, and obviously there are reasons as to why I just wanted an opinion from someone else who has been in this situation.

Mysticks--- maybe you can answer my question... He was told that he had to retake all the tests and it is rather a lengthy process to obtain an Alabama drives license. He has gone and gotten hisphysical for the cdl part, his work week is just crazy next week and not sure if he can get away for a couple of hours during the day. However looking at the website it does not look that complicated. Any help would be very appreciated. thanks

:) A couple of our friends were flying our for their vacation and the airline would NOT let the husband board the plane with an expired drivers license. They had to delay their flight a day and he was at the DMV all day trying to get his drivers license renewed... THey were lucky enought to get a flight out the next day!! Just a word of caution!!!

Chanda :)

Mysticks--- maybe you can answer my question... He was told that he had to retake all the tests and it is rather a lengthy process to obtain an Alabama drives license. He has gone and gotten hisphysical for the cdl part, his work week is just crazy next week and not sure if he can get away for a couple of hours during the day. However looking at the website it does not look that complicated. Any help would be very appreciated. thanks

It has been 17 years since I moved here but I do remember having to take the written exam again. I know that the office closest to me that administers the test is normally not overly crowded and like I stated before I think my renewal this year took only 5 minutes. With the CDL though I am not sure what all is required. Mine from MS was still valid at the time and the expired DL might also complicate things. This website might help if you haven't already found it. http://www.dps.state.al.us/public/driverlicense/ You should find everything you need there. The driver's manual is even there in pdf form so you can print it out or download it. Good luck. Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

Edited to add: Alabama also has a non-driver photo ID. He might be able to get that if the DL takes too long.

In order to fly, one technically does not need a photo ID:

The United website explains the requirements:

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,51133,00.html

For domestic flights – all passengers 18 and older are required to present valid and unexpired government-issued photo identification. (federal, state or local). For example: driver’s license or passport. All customers must carry government-issued identification with them at all times and may be asked to show identification during boarding.

In the absence of government-issued photo identification, two forms of identification are required. One must be government issued. Example: Social security card and credit card.

Customers without proper identification may be subject to additional security screening procedures.

This happened to my BF last summer. He ended up flying with his SS card and his birth certificate along with his expired license. No problems. If it's good enough for the airlines/FAA/Dept of Homeland Security, should be okay for Carnival!

Cougar - I'm with others about their not accepting his expired D/L for the cruise. A person in the Carnival offices can tell you one thing, but when you get to check-in at the pier, you might be told otherwise. Wouldn't that be awful?

I think your DH should just make that extra effort (work schedule or not) - on the chance that you could possibly lose hundreds of dollars just for not having a valid D/L.

If he doesn't get something that is VALID, whether it's a new D/L or just a state ID photo card - you might just not be able to go on the cruise.:eek: (I've actually seen it happen - a lady didn't have the correct type birth certificate; she had the hospital one...and Carnival didn't accept it, and they didn't get on the ship.) Good luck.

I would get a state ID pronto TONTO!! IN North dakota you can carry both a valid DL and A state issued ID card. Just a thought.

Also...here is a story, MY aunt and I were traveling to Las vegas last March. We are getting ready to board the plane when she announces she has left her license at home so as not to loose it!!

I frantically track down a TSA agent, Tell him our dilema he says MUCH TO MY SUPRISE! you can board the plane, we are going to get a bit more personal with the pat down but you will be allowed to fly. I interjected yeah here! but what about boarding in Las Vegas with no DL. They said not a problem just tell security at the airport. Im thinking what is there to stop 2 different people from flying on the same ticket if no id is offered? you know one flys out a different one flys back? Any way IT WAS NO PROBLEM TO FLY with out the valid photo id...Totally Wierd!!

good luck! and try the ID route we have e buddy with NO drivers license..a few too many offences so he carrys a state issued ID 9.00 they shot the pict right there!

GOOD LUCK

I have a CDL he shouldn't have to take all of the test unless they have been expired for 12 months. If he has hazmat endorsement he will have to take that test every time he renews his cdl. All the test are taken on a computer and does not take very long but it takes several weeks to get your new license. By the way i will be on the Holiday 9/2 have a good cruise.

Archived