silicon grease?

KTE

Just bought (mail order) a small 3.2 mp digital camera w/underwater housing. The instruction booklet is very detailed about operating the camera, but did not even MENTION the UW housing! :(

I have read on various MB's about using silicon grease on the o-ring (or around the outside of the housing seam?) to create a tighter seal and maybe putting silicon packets (I guess like you get in a shoe box?) in the housing to prevent fogging of the housing while in use. I'm unclear on the use or necessity of either/both products and info on the web is sometimes contradictory.

I'm a real newbie to all this, but I don't want to ruin my camera by any act of omission or commission. :)

Any personal experience w/either and/or tips?

Thanks!

KTE

On the O-ring, the silicon is just as much as rubber preservative as it is a sealing agent, so a very light coating is all that is needed. It is also extremely important to keep the O-ring and it's corresponding track clean. Even something as small as a hair will allow water to enter the housing when you are at depth.

The silicon desicant packets, like the ones found in shoe boxes, etc. are indeed to reduce the moisture inside the housing to help prevent fogging. I don't use the desicants and I have only had a couple of instances of fogging and that was just as much user error as anything, plus I water I was diving in was in the mid 40's which would make fogging much more likely.

You can find a lot more information about underwater cameras and photography at http://www.wetpixel.com and on the Underwater Photography section of http://www.scubaboard.

I run a Cannon A540 with it's waterproof housing for fishing/diving/kayaking and the waterproof housing has an extensive list of do's and don'ts, here are a few to follow:

1)Apply silicone grease to the housing O-ring seal sparingly. You want the O-ring to be slightly lubricated, but not caked. Only use a silicone safe grease as a petroleum base *vasilene* will ruin the seal. You should be able to find a silicone grease at your local auto parts store.

2)Avoid opening the housing in a high humidity area or around water. I usually wait until I am home and rinse the housing off in fresh water and dried before I open the housing. I use a 1GB memory card that gives me more than enough memory for a single day before I can rinse the camera off. If you do have to access the camera while still near the water just be careful not to allow any water into the housing and also wipe the camera off at the end of the day to make sure no salt residue is on it.

3) I've never had a problem with fogging. But this may be a problem if the ambient air and water temperatures are different. They do make anti-fog solutions for the lens if required. I've never tried the silicon packet in the housing.

4) Do not keep the camera in the housing for storage. The housing should be stored in an open position so that the seal does not become compressed and lose it's sealing effectiveness.

I'm glad that I finally went and picked up the waterproof housing. Takes alot of worry out of having a digital camera in an outdoor environment around water. Hope this helps.

I, also am new to this and have another question.... I am taking my Canon A620 on the cruise and am using it with the underwater house when I dive...

The question is, I want to use the camera while on board the ship, and use it when I dive... but what worries me is that taking the housing on and off a number of times during the cruise, might cause problems, ie. moisture, haie on the seal... a number of things.

So do you guys have 2 cameras that you use on the cruise?? 1 for normal pics and 1 for underwater??:confused:

So do you guys have 2 cameras that you use on the cruise?? 1 for normal pics and 1 for underwater??:confused:

I take my Olympus C5050z out of the housing when I'm back on the ship after every dive trip. You will want to do the same. You should change the batteries after a morning dive trip, at least if you have taken all the photos you are supposed to take on a dive. ;) I always want to start the dive off with freshly charged batteries, especially in cold water diving.

What I do is rinse the housing again in fresh water, then dry it with a towel. Next, lay it lense down on a dry towel and open the housing. Take out the camera and you are ready to change the batteries and take the card out to download the images to your MacBook (or whatever you use to store images). I like to use the camera out of the housing unless I'm going diving. I like to put the camera back into the housing the morning of a dive trip and I do it in the cabin where the air conditioned air has a lower moisture content.

Some places will tell you to check and reapply silicon to the o-ring each time you open the case. I'm not telling you not to, but I only visually check the o-ring each time without removing it from the housing. I only clean it and reapply the silicon at the start of the trip. Use a q-tip to clean out the channel the o-ring seat in and the corresponding area on the housing.

You should be able to find a silicone grease at your local auto parts store.
A much better place to get the silicone lubricant would be a dive shop.

The housing should be stored in an open position so that the seal does not become compressed and lose it's sealing effectiveness.
Or, you could do like I do. When storing the housing for an extended period of time, take the o-ring off and store it in a sealed zip-lock bag in a cool, dark place.

Consult the manufacturer of the housing as the wrong silicone lubricant will damage the oring. Ask them to send you some lube, it should have been included with the housing if needed. Not ALL require lubrication, again consult the manufacturer...

Here's one tip. Buy two or even three extra 'O' rings for the camera housing you're using. Coat them lightly with the silicone grease and then put them in a small, heavy duty baggy. Pack the baggy with the rest of your camera stuff and this way you'll have an extra 'O' ring in case the one that came with the housing gets pinched, nicked or damaged in any way.

Also your camera like the housing and its 'O' ring have a finite marketing lifespan. In a year or two it might be difficult to get a replacement 'O' ring. This way you'll have one when it is needed.

Have fun taking those underwater pictures and have a great day.

I also AGREE with KTE that you guys have been GREAT with you knowledge and help... and believe me, when I have the chance, with any knowledge I might have, I will be sure to help some one as well...

Whats that old saying... "Pay it forward" THANKS!!!

You know what really helps? When cruisers come back here after the cruise and post a trip report about where they went diving, who they went diving with, and their opinion about the dives, that is what many people really want to know, including me. If you can include a photo or 3, that is even better.

Archived