Baltimore Cruise Terminal

kuJhawk

My wife and I were looking at going on the Granduer of the seas next summer when the ship ports out of Baltimore Maryland. I have been to the Baltimore Inner harbor before and I dont recall any place to park a cruise ship. So, where would it be docked?

My wife and I were looking at going on the Granduer of the seas next summer when the ship ports out of Baltimore Maryland. I have been to the Baltimore Inner harbor before and I dont recall any place to park a cruise ship. So, where would it be docked?

The inner harbor would be a great place to board the ship, but boarding unfortunately takes place at a different location. There has been "talk" of the Inner Harbor area being updated to accommodate a cruiseship, but I haven't heard more than just talk.

Here is a link to the last plan concerning the expansion with locations proposed:

[PDF] MARITIME MASTER PLAN

‘A Plan for the Waters of Baltimore’s Harbor'

A cruise terminal seems like the one thing missing from the innerharbor. Parking is an issue without the addition of a cruiseship pier. Maybe the city could use the lightrail to transfer people in like they do for the ravens games.

Where do the cruise ships currently dock?

A cruise terminal seems like the one thing missing from the innerharbor. Parking is an issue without the addition of a cruiseship pier. Maybe the city could use the lightrail to transfer people in like they do for the ravens games.

Where do the cruise ships currently dock?

There's an actual "Baltimore Seaport" that is in an industrial area a couple of miles from the Inner Harbor. The accommodations are on the sparse side, but serve their purpose. They served some minor refreshments (cookies, coffee and such) to the early arrivers. Once boarding commenced, I was able to get through rather quickly to the ship with minimal fuss. It wasn't a horrible experience.

I do agree that it would be a boon to the city featurewise, but I'm guessing the cost analysis portion hasn't supported it. Maybe someday. I'd personally like it.

The new Baltimore Cruise Terminal opened on May 12, 2006.

Details are here http://www.marylandports.com

It's just a few minutes and a couple of miles from the Inner Harbor. The IH can accommodate ships up to about 500-600 feet in length; most modern ships are 700 feet or more. The small intracoastal ships of American Cruise Line do call and embark right from Constellation Pier.

Ed Hale's plan for a cruise terminal on Clinton Street in Canton are on hold. Ed required a lot of state investment, but the state opted to invest at Locust Point for the time being. This new terminal is just a stone's throw from Fort McHenry, birthplace of the Star Spangled Banner.

The new Baltimore Cruise Terminal opened on May 12, 2006.

Details are here http://www.marylandports.com

It's just a few minutes and a couple of miles from the Inner Harbor. The IH can accommodate ships up to about 500-600 feet in length; most modern ships are 700 feet or more. The small intracoastal ships of American Cruise Line do call and embark right from Constellation Pier.

Ed Hale's plan for a cruise terminal on Clinton Street in Canton are on hold. Ed required a lot of state investment, but the state opted to invest at Locust Point for the time being. This new terminal is just a stone's throw from Fort McHenry, birthplace of the Star Spangled Banner.

That's awesome news that there has been such progress! I'm hoping to go on the Grandeur next year and can't wait to see the new facilities. Thank you!

I live in Baltimore and it would be wonderful to have the cruise terminals closer to the inner harbor. I was so surprised that when visiting New Orleans a few years ago I looked out of the window of the mall on the waterfront and saw the Grandeur docked a few feet away. Now every time I visit the inner harbor at home I think how wonderful it would be if ships could just pull right up to Harbor Place. Not to mention the impact it would have on the economy here.

Baltimore would be an interesting port for some cruisers. There's a lot of things to see and do in the Inner Harbor and Downtown Baltimore. Also, Washington, DC is a short drive away. Not sure if Royal Caribbean would want to include it as part of an itinerary unless they came up with a United States/East Coast schedule though.

Coincidentally, I have recently been playing around with my next chapter in web page adventures, which is to teach myself how to use the Google Map APIs.

Since I had some data handy from my last cruise, the first experiment was to set up a map showing the path that Grandeur took through the Chesapeake Bay, returning to Baltimore.

It's kind of neat, especially if you zoom in and look at the map in Hybrid mode.

http://cruisetip.tpkeller.com/maps/

My next map will probably be Port Canaveral, showing our path in and out of there a couple days earlier.

Constructive feedback is always welcome.

Theron

Theron

That is pretty neat.........do you recall how long it took you to clear the Cheasapeke Bay and get down to the tunnel complex at Norfolk? Just curious as we are on the Granduer for the first time out of Baltimore next September as we do a 9 day Canada/New England.

Jim

Here is a drawing of the New Passenegr Terminal of Cruise Maryland...

After looking closely at the satellite picture of the new terminal area, I can actually see how that fits... one question, does she park "nose in" like the artists rendering shows, or do they turn her around and park her "nose out"? I'm pretty sure I remember that last year at Dundalk, she docked "nose out" or port side, which makes for a quicker sail away.

Theron

That is pretty neat.........do you recall how long it took you to clear the Cheasapeke Bay and get down to the tunnel complex at Norfolk? Just curious as we are on the Granduer for the first time out of Baltimore next September as we do a 9 day Canada/New England.

Hi Jim,

It's about 8 hours. I don't think I saw it on the way out, but I do remember on the way home the decks were pretty full of people watching the bridges go by. Of course we had been seeing the lights of the Virginia Beach area for quite a while before that as well.

Theron

After looking closely at the satellite picture of the new terminal area, I can actually see how that fits... one question, does she park "nose in" like the artists rendering shows, or do they turn her around and park her "nose out"? I'm pretty sure I remember that last year at Dundalk, she docked "nose out" or port side, which makes for a quicker sail away.

Theron

The Starboard side was next to the terminal....

Radio

fun.jpg

She docks "nose in" and it does take a few minutes to manuever away from the pier and get turned around. Key Bridge about 30 minutes after sailing, Chesapeake Bay Bridge, 90 minutes later, Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, at least 6 more hours.

• 3 weeks later...
Coincidentally, I have recently been playing around with my next chapter in web page adventures, which is to teach myself how to use the Google Map APIs.

Since I had some data handy from my last cruise, the first experiment was to set up a map showing the path that Grandeur took through the Chesapeake Bay, returning to Baltimore.

It's kind of neat, especially if you zoom in and look at the map in Hybrid mode.

http://cruisetip.tpkeller.com/maps/

My next map will probably be Port Canaveral, showing our path in and out of there a couple days earlier.

Constructive feedback is always welcome.

Theron

I just noticed today that Google has updated the downtown Baltimore satellite imagery used in their map data. No longer is the Carnival ship docked at the current RCCL cruise port terminal, in fact the terminal looks well occupied by cars, but not enough for a cruise ship full.

To see this detail, follow the link above to the Baltimore map, then drag/zoom over to the current RCCL terminal marker, then click on the HYBRID button.

Theron

Archived