AMTRAK service to NYC

helenp2

Hoping that someone here can tell me if they have used amtrak up to NYC lately. We live in the western suburbs of Phila. and have excellent Acela service available to us from either Wilmington, De or Phila. However, amtrak advises us that there is no checked baggage on this service and more than likely there won't be any porters available to help with our bags. They also say that all bags must be stored overhead. Even if bag is only 30/35 lbs that would be too heavy for me. Anyone who has used this service lately? Thanks

That's pretty much the way it is. I found that when I use the regular Northeast Regional trains, there is more space near the door for luggage. Not a lot, but some.

It will cost you, but there is always White Star Luggage service.

I guess you'll be taking a cab from Penn Sta to Red Hook???

Perhaps by the time you add everything up, it may be more cost effective just to hire a private car service.

No, we are booked on HAL but posted here thinking Cunard was still in Manhatten. Unfortunately, the lowest price I have had quoted to me for a limo (not a stretch) was $1200 r/t.

Yikes!

Second thought. Contact your agent and ask them if HAL has bus transfers from Philly. We have them from Providence for the Noordam sailings. I forget how much they are... $89 - 99 pp one way I believe is the range.

It's been a number of years since I did NY to Philly on Amtrak (and SEPTA) but they had luggage then. I am looking into taking Amtrak to Florida later this year (I am sick of the airline hassles, the train is so much more comfortable, even without a "roomette" I've slept on one before- With 200 teenagers, no less!) If you price out a trip on Amtrak, you will notice that each route and train is different, but they specify which trains have luggage. For instance, if we went Hartford to New Haven to NYC, There is no luggage service. But from NYC to Miami, there is, depending on the train. So don't say know, yet. See what trains are available to you (Not all trains run every day) and see if they have luggage. Pick up an Amtrak pamphlet. They are pretty informative! (Mine is a few years old. I need to get a new one)

I just drove down to King of Prussia a few weeks ago for a class. I thought about the train last time I went to Norristown, but I still would have needed to rent a car for where I was going and decided it was easier to drive.

Karie,

Who loves the click-clack and gentle swaying of a train. And the bar car of course!

The long haul trains do have luggage check in except for Trenton. So we always pick up the train in Phila. Phila to NY would not have check in and would only allow two carry ons. We will face this problem if we decide to take the train to Seattle so I would have to take a private transfere in order to take the amt. of luggage. I know that RCL and Celebrity have bus transfers from the Phila area. So I would call as suggeted above. I have read of private limos for a lot less than you were quoted for transportation to NY .

We have both used White Star AND used Amtrak and both are excellent.

We reserved two small bedrooms on Amtrak for $450 and had all the room we needed for our party of four and the luggage we did NOT send by White Star (we had a month worth of luggage).

You can do one or the other or both and it will probably work out very well any way you do it. Just remember that Amtrak is not always going to be right on time.

Last month I took Amtrak (not Acela, not worth the cost difference for such a short trip) from Baltimore to NYC before crossing on QM2. I had a large 26 inch rollaboard, weight about 55 pounds. Got it on board without difficulty but then the problem of where to store it - certainly not overhead. SOME cars had room at one end or another - I must learn to identify those cars BEFORE getting on because it is almost impossible to drag such a large suitcase through crowded aisle. The conductor told me the bag was too big - I shouldn't have boarded with it - but he didn't suggest any alternative and he could hardly throw me from the train. (And several other people had similar bags.) On the way home NYC-Baltimore, very crowded train, I had the same problem, but was lucky enough to board a car with luggage space...would I do it again or would I pay someone to drive me - hmmm, I might have paid $100 more for a car from home to the pier, but not much more. I suppose as long as I am strong enough to deal with the large bag I will keep on going Amtrak. Good luck!

For an extended trip in May of 2005 we took 4 large suitcases in addition to our carry-ons. The suitcases ranged in weight from 55 to 85 lb. (we weren't flying). For our trip from Boston to NYC on AMTRAK we travelled by coach, then checked the big ones from NYC to Fort Lauderdale. We were a little concerned about how we would be received boarding in Boston, but it was not a problem. I had a Red-Cap handle the bags, and he boarded us in a choice location in the empty railcar before the official boarding announcement was made. That's Bill, our Red-Cap in the photo, he has spotted us in the past and offered his services and he is the best!

Luggage.jpg.61cd40370a56bce484b7ff240be27db6.jpg

That's our luggage on the near side of the cart.

No, we are booked on HAL but posted here thinking Cunard was still in Manhatten. Unfortunately, the lowest price I have had quoted to me for a limo (not a stretch) was $1200 r/t.

If you're in the Philadelphia area, Dave's Best Limo might be an option. They do runs to the New York cruise port and I think they pick up from certain centralized places (probably large hotels) in the Philadelphia area. I know they serve the suburbs too. I've used them for transport home from Philly International, and while they are "group transportation," meaning you may have to wait for others' flights to arrive ... they are very, very reasonable. I don't know what they charge for transport to the New York pier, but I am sure it's nothing compared to the $1,200 figure you were quoted.

Here's their website:

http://www.davesbestlimos.com/

Blue skies ...

--rita

I did Amtrak from Boston to NYC last fall and the only option was storing luggage overhead. I had 2 large suitcases which fit just fine (and both were 40-50 lbs. easily). There are conductors who come through who will help you lift it up or down if that is a problem. Once you reach Penn Station in NYC it is a bit of a walk to where the taxis are but manageable if you have rolling luggage.

Good luck. I will be taking Amtrak again in reverse when I get off the QE2 in NYC next Jan.

A recent post says something to the effect "Don't worry, conductors qwill help get your bags into overhead." Don't count on it. The conductor who was mightily displeased with the size of my bag was no help at all - I asked him to help me put it up and he said "No, I don't want to injure myself on the job."

So be prepared to use a porter or throw yourself on the mercy of fellow passengers...

I have never had a problem, even when we took Acela to catch the QM2 in NYC from the BWI station last year (with no help). The best thing to do is to check if the station has "red cap service". All the larger cities do. This service is available for coach, business and first class passengers. In most cases, they will take your luggage from you and place it on their cart way before the train arrives. Then, when it is time to board you can either get on the tram and drive or follow your luggage as you walk out to the train. Red cap is supposed to board prior to the general boarding call so usually it is less crowded and stressful. No different than on airlines where they board special needs people first. Red Cap then is responsible for getting your luggage onto the train and storing it in an appropriate area. The service is free....tips definitely suggested and worth every penny. There are many senior citizens, mothers with small children, disabled passengers, and just people who need assistance, that rely on this service to get on the train. No I wouldn't rely on the conductor, just on the red caps because that is their job.

Well, experiences obviously vary.

I very nearly had to hit our porter with a pillow to keep him from hefting my bags up. And when we had fended him off (wife and children helping with THEIR pillows), his new porter-in-training assitant came up and we had to do the same thing with her.

"Back you service-oriented fanatics!"

There's plenty of room in an AmTrak "stateroom" to put your bags. There is also space outside the rooms if you need it.

I don't know about Acela, but if you don't want to go the "stateroom" route and have to fend-off over-zealous porters, ship your bags via White Star and take just a carry-on. The price of one way or the other is about the same.

Taking a train to the station and a sedan or limo to the ship is a MUCH more comfortable, laid-back and "classic" way to do it. And it really is not much more expensive than any other way of doing it. Especially since you can substitute a cab for the car and save that all-important $60 extra you'd spend on the sedan/limo.

I've used Amtrak and UK trains. I have what we call my "second self" suitcase as it is huge. I take that and camera case when I go on a ship. Unless they have changed something, you can store luggage at the end of a car. There usually has been a rack or open space you can put it. In other cases where they have seats back to back slip your case in between the backs on the floor.

Yes, once again, there is space for luggage set aside on SOME cars, and SOMETIMES sufficient space behind seats or small slotlike space at front of car. The point is that all this space is LIMITED and by the time you get on it may no longer be available. Many Amtrak trains on the eastern corridor run full, especially as these days people prefer alternatives to air travel. You can (indeed, must) buy a reservation and be sure of a seat for yourself but NOT on floor space for baggage.

Best advice remains "get a porter". Or, better yet, a car and driver.

Archived