My opinion on Godfrey vs Sunny Liston

lorieh

Just returned from the Carnival Glory. I used these boards for alot of advice. We selected Godfrey vs Sunny Liston. Both do exactly the same tour. We followed Sunny around the island and quite often Godfrey and Sunny were talking to each other. We found ourselves wishing we were with Sunny as he always seemed to be singing and had great island music playing. Everyone with him seemed to be having fun. Godfrey had music playing but it was much more sedate. If you are looking for party-go with Sunny, if you are looking for peace and quite go for Godfrey.

My last comment is, if you are looking for the same type of tour that you would go with on the ship(large group or herd mentality)at a lower cost, these are great options. If you are looking for ANY flexability, grab a cab and go your own way!!!

I agree with the OP fully on this one. We just got off the 8/19 Eastern Glory sailing, and took the Godfrey tour on St. Thomas (and Bernard on St. Martin tours- will post my opinion on that one next.)

Last year we went with David and Ivan in Costa Maya, and it was such an amazing excursion compared to the Carnival tours, we decided to go with tours found on these boards instead of thru Carnival.

Leaving the ship at this port was a nightmare. We could not get off the ship until almost 11:45 due to immigration. We were the last deck off (they combined 3 decks at the end, and we were one of them). Decks were chosen by luck of the draw, by a young boy during CD Mark Price's talk. He must have realized it's usually a mess, because Mark said if anyone had complaints about their deck order, to look for the kid! Joke was funny at the time.

Godfrey was meeting us at 10. I called him to let him know we were late getting off. When we did get off the ship, a woman was waiting for us with our names on a sign. There was one more group still getting off, so we finally left for the shopping.

We only had 20 minutes, so did not have a whole lot of time. Other's had been brought shopping earlier, as they were fortunate enough to leave the ship faster.

Then we were herded into 3 different open trolleys. It was a cheaper version of the ship's tour-driven around in trolleys, no real personal options, other than the beach we chose-had 2 to pick from.

My son was very disappointed, as Godfrey's website lists Blackbeard's and Bluebeard's castles as a tour stops. "From Godfrey's website 'The places we visit on the tour that you will be able to see are Bluebeard's Castle, Blackbeard's Castle,. . ." Our driver said they were being turned into time shares, so not worth stopping at! He also said if we had gone with the lady at the shopping stop offering timeshare tours, we would have seen Blackbeard's Castle! Since the info on seeing these is still on their website, my 16 yo wasn't happy with that explanation.

We chose Coki Beach as our beach stop, because of Coral World. Coral World is a rip off, if you've ever been to any major aquarium. If not, you'd enjoy it. We paid $18. a piece to get in, and it just wasn't worth it. The food there was very expensive as well, $10. for burger, chips and water. Coki Beach was extremely crowded! On retrospect, would have gone to the other beach option.

We did enjoy Mountain Top, and the banana daiquiri's there lived up to their reputations! They used 5 banana's for 2 drinks! The ride was fun, St. Thomas is very hilly, and the roads are narrow. That part was fun.

Next time, I'd choose a ship's excursion there, just to get off the ship earlier!

Idlewood4 sorry to hear that you didn't get off the ship until late. We were off by 11am. I guess Canadians got through customs earlier.

We were also at Coki beach which we chose for the snorkeling. We were unable to get snorkel gear until it was time to leave. Wish we had just grabbed a cab and at the beach before the herds started to arrive and could have stayed after everyone left. Did you notice that everyone cleared out at the same time??? Same type of tour offered by cruise ship.

We were also very dissapointed that we did not get to see the castles as we have a huge pirate fan in the family.

Archived