Island Princess to Hawaii island trip Sugestions

t-time99

I guess I was a little unclear in my earlier post. We've already booked with Princess the excursion in Maui to snorkle at the Molokini Crater on the M/V Prince Kuhio. That is the only thing we have planned for that port. The only other excursion we have booked is the Kilauia Volcano tour on the Big Island. I don't think I will be able to get my DH up in a helicopter. He did that in the Air Force and doesn't want any part of it again. I am hoping that there is a beach near where we dock in Kauai that we could spend a few hours. Maybe Kona too??

The Dolphin Adventure as Sea Life Park allows you about 45 minutes with a dolphin and about 8 other people. You get to do a body surf and a foot push, as well as other interaction with the dolphin. They treat the animals very well (I thought) and the dolphin really seems to enjoy the experience. We all thought is was worth it.

Note, the Dolphin Discovery that Princess offers at Sea Life (or did last Feb) is just petting and touching. No actual swimming.

So to actually swim with the dolphins do you have to book it seperately?

You should really enjoy the Molokini tour you booked. And seeing the volcano is good too, particularly if you get to see the lava fields up close and personal.

That is a short time in Kaua'i, too bad... however, Kalapaki Beach (Where the Marriott is) is close... we have walked it from the dock and back. There were also plenty of taxis if you don't want the walk. It's a pretty nice beach and would be something you could do in a short amount of time.

IMHO, you didn't miss that much regarding the Fern Grotto. It's nice, but not worth a lot of time and effort. There are many other places that are more interesting on Kaua'i.

paulfredo

So to actually swim with the dolphins do you have to book it seperately?

As of February, yes. Princess only offered the Dolphin Discovery. If you go to Sea Life Park's website, it will explain the two encounters. I even called them. They are very nice and accomodating.

Dolphin Adventure: Sea Life Park Hawaii - Dolphin Swim Adventure

Dolphin Discovery: Sea Life Park Hawaii - Dolphin Discovery Swim

I do not know if Princess offers just the Discovery or the Adventure now or both.

Picture of me swimming with Maui attached ... well, Maui was doing the swimming.

796680286_Maui001.jpg.f7c3a9eb3ca086db3771f314f2106321.jpg

I am hoping that there is a beach near where we dock in Kauai that we could spend a few hours. Maybe Kona too??

On Kauai, there is a nice beach not far from the pier where the Island docks. It can be reached by hopping on a free shuttle (tips only) on the pier, or one could walk there. It's visible from the ship. In addition to the beach, which is quiet and right in front of a hotel, there is a group of shops, if you're in the mood to look around them. We spent a couple of hours on that beach, as did quite a few other PAX from the Island. They were recognizable because they had the blue and white striped towels from the ship.

In addition to the shuttle for the beach, there is another shuttle that goes to the nearby town of Lihue, to the Hilo Hattie's store. That's a fun place to shop for souvenirs, and they are on several of the islands. Also a good place to shop for souvenirs, that seem to be be all the islands, are the ABC stores. Good selection, decent prices. They also have toiletries, cold beverages and lots of other stuff.

Enjoy your cruise. Volcanoes National Park excursion is a good one. Lots to see; the Jaggar Museum (at the top of the volcano) has a lot of interesting displays. The terrain at the top of the volcano looks like a moonscape. The wisps of volcanic gases coming from the ground are neat.The stop at the Thurston Lava Tube is quite interesting.When we go on this cruise again in 2008, I'd like to go back to up Mt. Kilauea.

I don't know about beaches in Kona. There is a lovely historic area near the pier, where we spent a couple of hours. Interesting stuff to see, and it's leisurely and relaxing.

Enjoy your cruise.

You should really enjoy the Molokini tour you booked. And seeing the volcano is good too, particularly if you get to see the lava fields up close and personal.

That is a short time in Kaua'i, too bad... however, Kalapaki Beach (Where the Marriott is) is close... we have walked it from the dock and back. There were also plenty of taxis if you don't want the walk. It's a pretty nice beach and would be something you could do in a short amount of time.

IMHO, you didn't miss that much regarding the Fern Grotto. It's nice, but not worth a lot of time and effort. There are many other places that are more interesting on Kaua'i.

paulfredo

quote from flamono: "On Kauai, there is a nice beach not far from the pier where the Island docks. It can be reached by hopping on a free shuttle (tips only) on the pier, or one could walk there. It's visible from the ship. In addition to the beach, which is quiet and right in front of a hotel, there is a group of shops, if you're in the mood to look around them. We spent a couple of hours on that beach, as did quite a few other PAX from the Island. They were recognizable because they had the blue and white striped towels from the ship.

This is the same beach we went to. The Anchor Cove shopping shuttle will take you there and you walk over a tiny bridge. A very quiet beach.

Don't know about Kona because, unfortunately, high waves prevented us from tendering in.

Archived