Formal Night

Guest cvbart
I know I'll get 'FLAMED' by some, but GENTLEMEN wear a Tuxedo for formal night - anything else is not 'formal'. Sure, some men do wear dark business suits with tie - but that is not 'FORMAL' - at least not by my understanding of the term. OH, and for those VERY few - a turtle neck sweater is also NOT formal!!

Then I guess a t-shirt and shorts are out too:)

I'm with the it doesn't matter what others are doing crowd, I'm going to have my tux with me. I wear dress uniform one night and tux on the second formal. We stay in formal all evening and thoroughly enjoyed the dancing onboard Mariner after every dinner, but especially the dancing after the formals in formal wear. It was really a lot of fun.

RevSmith - Can't resist asking you... why is a "a tux is a lot of work to put on"? Granted I've never worn a tux, but I thought the ensemble consisted of a long-sleeved shirt worn with cuff links and those button thingies, a bowtie, a cummerbund, pants, dark socks and shoes...

Guess putting on a tuxedo seems easy to me, considering all the stuff police officers have to put on every day just to go to work...

Cindy

This is very confusing!

In my country, if the invitation sais "white tie", you CAN wear a dark suit but NOT a tuxedo (if you do not want to wear the tails). Tuxedo is considered less formal in that matter and it is mostly recommended for informal, relaxed occations. This is why I (and many other people as well ;) ) do not think that tux is the right thing to wear if formal attire is recommended, but you should wear a dark suit instead.

As on the cruise it is called "formal night", I would do formal wear, which means white tie or a dark suit for me. But, seems like this whole dressing etiquette is different in the USA, as tuxedo is there much more commonly used, I think. So I'm totally lost about what to wear, as I have all our formal clothes already planned and purchased.:rolleyes:

Just back from the Enchantment and there were very few men in tuxes. Most just wearing coats and ties. I took my black blazer this time and was fine. Lots of people were having their pictures taken so I would take whatever I felt comfortable in and what I wanted in photos. Also great photo op with Captain.

I know I'll get 'FLAMED' by some, but GENTLEMEN wear a Tuxedo for formal night - anything else is not 'formal'. Sure, some men do wear dark business suits with tie - but that is not 'FORMAL' - at least not by my understanding of the term. OH, and for those VERY few - a turtle neck sweater is also NOT formal!!

My understanding as to RCCL suggestions for attire on Formal nights for men are Tux or dark suits. If they expected ALL men to wear tux then they would say that formal night is 'black tie' and for women that would mean long formals and not cocktail dresses. RCCL does NOT state this in their suggestions for formal attire.

I'm on B2B's on Navaigator at beginning of October and where I come from Kilt outfit is also considered Formal Attire. That's what I and my friend will be wearing on formal nights. There will be fewer of these than Tuxe's. Wear what you feel comfortable in and worry less about others.

Have to be careful though if we go to the dancing. One misplaced twirl could result in shouts of "COMMANDO!!!". Yeeks, what a thought.

Tony

If you ask a Scotsman whats worn under his kilt don't be surprised if he answers 'Nothing, it's all in perfect working order' :)

As Madkitty says 'It'a a chance to play Bond'. I have a Tux and wear it on every formal night on a cruise. It's almost the only opportunity to wear one nowadays. I quite understand if one choses not to take or even buy a Tux, mine was a good investment, but I have done about 10 cruises since buying it.

I do think that it adds to the ambience when everyone is dressed 'formally' or black tie.

RevSmith - Can't resist asking you... why is a "a tux is a lot of work to put on"? Granted I've never worn a tux, but I thought the ensemble consisted of a long-sleeved shirt worn with cuff links and those button thingies, a bowtie, a cummerbund, pants, dark socks and shoes...

Guess putting on a tuxedo seems easy to me, considering all the stuff police officers have to put on every day just to go to work...

Cindy

It's not so much that it's a "lot" of work to put on but it is a little more effort than tossing on a suit and tie. With a suit and tie, essentially all your adding is the coat and a tie.

As you pointed out the tux requires cuff links, button covers, cummerbund and that nasty little bow tie (I don't wear them that often and for whatever reason, they give me fits).

I've decided to go formal on my upcoming cruise(4 day Monarch) and I'm wondering what to expect. I'm wearing a formal gown and I just wanted to know should I expect a even number of formal vs informal. Regardless of the answer I'm still going formal...just curious.

I've decided to go formal on my upcoming cruise(4 day Monarch) and I'm wondering what to expect. I'm wearing a formal gown and I just wanted to know should I expect a even number of formal vs informal. Regardless of the answer I'm still going formal...just curious.

There is only one formal night on the Monarch.

###

You are never out of style wearing a tux..........however..........cruises ARE becoming less and less formal. On the Mariner in April less than 20% of the men wore tuxes........the previous October on the Vision for the Mexican Riviera less than 10% wore tuxes.

This is not pro or con........but an evaluation that formal is getting less and less with each passing year..........

This has been a noticeable trend on RCI, not so much on more traditional, premium lines like HAL anx X. I have been on all three in the past year and the percentage of tuxes on X and HAL were around 75% on formal nights, much less on RCI. The biggest difference is that there were quite a few who thumbed their nose at the whole affair (shorts, jeans) on RCI but I did not see any of that on HAL or X.

I think a man looks fabulous in a tux and you can certainly tell when a gentleman is comfortable when wearing one:D.

Question for the CC membership.

Is wearing a Tux "out of style" on formal night? Trying to decide to take my tux on a 4 nighter or not - on my 1st cruise it seemed less than 1/3 of the late dinner where in tux's (I was) and far less than 1/2 where "dressed" - is it just me ....

DH and I are always the true formal wearers on our 7 nighter cruises...tux and floor length dress. But, on 4 nighter he decided not rent since could only wear once, as opposed to the 2 times on 7 nighters. And he did great with dark suit instead as the shorter cruise people were far less "formally" dressed. The 2 couples at our table didn't even wear ties, but their ladies did wear floor length. So we looked great with suit and ankle length dress for the shorter cruise.

giggle...thought i'd throw this out here....

(but let me say i was born in florida, with a "island time" attitude)

Aloha shirt

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Aloha shirt, known to non-natives as the Hawaiian shirt, is a style of dress shirt originating in Hawai‘i, a state of the United States. It is currently the premier textile export of the Hawai‘i manufacturing industry. Often short-sleeved, Aloha shirts exported to the mainland United States and elsewhere are often brilliantly colored with floral patterns or generic Polynesian motifs and are worn as casual, informal wear.

Aloha shirts manufactured for local Hawai‘i residents are usually adorned with traditional Hawaiian quilt designs or simple floral patterns in muted, non-flashy colors. Aloha shirts manufactured for local consumption are considered formal wear in business and government, and thus are regarded as equivalent to a coat and tie in all but the most formal of settings.

thats my kinda formal!

This has been a noticeable trend on RCI, not so much on more traditional, premium lines like HAL anx X. I have been on all three in the past year and the percentage of tuxes on X and HAL were around 75% on formal nights, much less on RCI. The biggest difference is that there were quite a few who thumbed their nose at the whole affair (shorts, jeans) on RCI but I did not see any of that on HAL or X.

I think a man looks fabulous in a tux and you can certainly tell when a gentleman is comfortable when wearing one:D.

Glad to hear that the hard core formal types still have places to cruise.

We'll be on Grandeur - bringing her back to New Orleans for the first time since Katrina. There will be Mardi Gras on-board and you can be sure there will be gentlemen in TUX - plus lots of other gentlemen that are not!! Either way, we'll have a GREAT PARTY on this cruise!! :)

Archived