Turkey Bombers

douggell

Turkey rocked by more blasts

'Tourists shouldn't come,' Kurdish group says, claiming responsibility for one of two attacks

NICHOLAS BIRCH

Special to The Globe and Mail Toronto, August 29, 2006

MARMARIS, TURKEY -- Three people died and scores were wounded in back-to-back bomb attacks on two Turkish resort towns in what appeared to be part of a concerted attempt to sabotage the country's lucrative tourist industry.

Nobody has yet claimed responsibility for the blast that killed two Turkish policemen and another unidentified person in the Mediterranean city of Antalya yesterday. But a blast on a packed minibus in Marmaris, western Turkey, around midnight Sunday has been claimed by Kurdish militants of the Kurdistan Freedom Hawks, or TAK.

"We have warned the public of Turkey and the international public before: Turkey is not a safe country, tourists shouldn't come," the group said on its website.

Turkey is a huge and wonderful country. Canceling plans to visit Turkey would be like canceling a trip to the United States because of a spate of murders in __________ (fill in the blank - New Orleans, Detroit, Miami, .....). Tragically, the world is a very unsafe place and will probably become less safe as time goes on.

Mike

The bombs have a secondary purpose, besides killing and maiming innoccent people, which is to scare and intimindate others. If tourists stop going to Turkey, the country will suffer because of the loss of the much needed revenue and a terrorist imposed isolation of it's people. There is some danger in all travel.....we just need to be educated about the risks.

I just read that there is a high alert terrorism warning for Turkey. There were attacks/bombings on 8/14 at Hagia Sofia and on 8/15 at the Blue Mosque. We leave on Friday 9/1 for IST and plan to visit those sites on 9/3.

They are expecting more terrorism at places that foreigners frequent. Do you think it is safe to visit the usual tourist places, or should we stay on the ship?

We will be visiting Ephesus a few days later.

If you think of it as just base statistics you are far more likely to be killed or injured in an auto accident than by something happening from an attack in Turkey. Does that keep you from driving each day or leaving your house? If not then you should enjoy your trip to Turkey and see the sights. How often will you be in Istanbul? If your answer is not very often then you need to experience and enjoy it while you can. The only people winning if you are so scared that you don't leave the ship are the terrorists.

So when we cruise from there in May 07 we will indeed visit the sites and enjoy ourselves. I'm personally more concerned about having an auto accident with an injury that might keep us from making the trip than the terrorist threat.

pschmitt22, could you give more information on the attacks/bombings at the Blue mosque and Aya Sofia on 8/14-8/15? I had heard about the recent attacks in Antalya/Marmaris as well as one in an outlying commercial district in Istanbul but nothing about 2 of the most historic sites in Istanbul being bombed. Hard to believe that there would be no threads discussing this on either CC or tripadvisor.

As far as travel goes, we leave for Istanbul in less than a month. We still plan to go, although we will use caution about our choice of transportation - I don't think we will be taking any rides in a dolmus.

After posting the above, I went to tripadvisor.com & found a recent mention of one of these incidents. I followed the trail to the Turkish Daily News & found the article below. Still can't understand why the U.S. State Dept. didn't send out their warning e-mail.

http://www.turkishdailynews.com.tr/article.php?enewsid=51400

pschmitt22, could you give more information on the attacks/bombings at the Blue mosque and Aya Sofia on 8/14-8/15? I had heard about the recent attacks in Antalya/Marmaris as well as one in an outlying commercial district in Istanbul but nothing about 2 of the most historic sites in Istanbul being bombed. Hard to believe that there would be no threads discussing this on either CC or tripadvisor.

As far as travel goes, we leave for Istanbul in less than a month. We still plan to go, although we will use caution about our choice of transportation - I don't think we will be taking any rides in a dolmus.

I went online, found this referance and was about to get upset bacause of the hotel we're in Nov. 27th is near the Blue Mosque..and it was 2 hotels bombed....but as I was reading news account...realized that the date was Nov.10 2004 !!! That's why nobody else heard about it.....:)The other story isn't about the Mosque...plus since there was 1 other Istanbul bomb as was mentioned before. On Sun. I believe

I googled terrorism in Turkey

One website indicated an explosion outside an internet cafe in Istanbul on 8/12/06 injured 6,

an explosion near Hagia Sofia on 8/14/06 injured 3

and a bomb exploded across from the east entrance to the Blue Mosque on 8/15/06.

The website where I read this is

http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/Advice/Turkey

I read 3 daily papers and did not see any articles about these explosions.

I went online' date=' found this referance and was about to get upset bacause of the hotel we're in Nov. 27th is near the Blue Mosque..and it was 2 hotels bombed....but as I was reading news account...realized that the date was [u']Nov.10 2004[/u] !!! That's why nobody else heard about it.....:)The other story isn't about the Mosque...plus since there was 1 other Istanbul bomb as was mentioned before. On Sun. I believe

Istanbul blast injures five people

Monday, August 14, 2006

Notice the date

:confused:Since this all came up I've been Googleing, and several other serch programs...Yahoo , netscape. I keep coming up with 0 -- nada-- on these bombings on 8/14-15...except for that Terrorism alert..(previously printed link,) to the Austrailian Travel advisor website. We have a heightened alert on the US gov't website, but noting like that one the link refers to. Not saying it didn't happen, but the info just isn't out there...have other link? All I get are for other places (Lebanon etc.)and other Dates..using many search variations...including "Blue Mosque", "Istanbul", just "Turkey" associated with 8/14/06 and bombings., gone thru pages and pages of "hits"-- nothing!

I have been searching much of the Google world too, but in addition have gone to the more official government sites. I am inclined to agree with Nejat Incedogan, a well respected guide in Turkey, that much of what people are posting recently is simply either false or out-dated. Some posters are quoting articles from news sources dated years ago!!

Settle down, people, don't fly off at a tangent and add fuel to a False Fire

Although it doesn't go into specifics, it does confirm there have been recent "incidents" that cause concern to travelers. I have copied & pasted the contents of their e-mail below:

Turkey

August 29, 2006

This Public Announcement alerts Americans to the continuing potential for

terrorist actions against civilians in Turkey and notes recent incidents in

areas frequented by tourists. This Public Announcement expires on November

1, 2006.

Between August 25th and August 28th, seven bombings occurred in the

principal tourist areas of Turkey, injuring as many as 60 or more persons,

including foreign tourists, and killing three Turkish nationals. These

explosions occurred in Istanbul, Adana, and in Marmaris and Antalya in

southwestern Turkey. The Kurdistan Freedom Falcons, also known by the

Kurdish acronym TAK, have claimed responsibility for many of the explosions.

The TAK, believed to be an affiliate of the Kurdish Workers' Party (PKK), a

terror organization, also reiterated a public warning to foreign tourists

not to visit Turkey.

The Department of State advises U.S. citizens traveling or residing in

Turkey to exercise caution, and to closely follow media reports. Terrorists

do not distinguish between official and civilian targets. These may include

facilities where Americans and other foreigners are known to live,

congregate, shop, or visit, especially hotels, clubs, restaurants, shopping

centers, housing compounds, transportation systems, places of worship,

schools, outdoor recreation events, or resorts and beaches. U.S. citizens

should remain in a heightened state of personal security awareness when

attendance at such locations is unavoidable. U.S. citizens also should avoid

areas where crowds are expected to gather, as even demonstrations intended

to be peaceful can turn confrontational and possibly escalate into violence.

U.S. citizens living or traveling in Turkey are encouraged to register with

the Embassy or nearest consulate through the State Department's travel

registration website, <https://travelregistration.state.gov>, and to obtain

updated information on travel and security within Turkey. U.S. citizens

without Internet access may register at the Consular Section of the U.S.

Embassy in Ankara, at the Consulate General in Istanbul, at the Consulate in

Adana, or with the Consular Agent in Izmir to obtain updated information on

travel and security in Turkey. Embassy communications with the resident

American citizen community, or "Warden Messages," can be found on the

Embassy's website at <http://ankara.usembassy.gov>.

For the latest security information, Americans living and traveling abroad

should regularly monitor the Department's Bureau of Consular Affairs

Internet web site at <http://travel.state.gov>, where the current Worldwide

Cautions, Public Announcements, and Travel Warnings can be found. Travelers

should also consult the Department of State's latest Consular information

Sheet for Turkey </travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1046.html>. Up-to-date

information on security can also be obtained by calling 1-888-407-4747 toll

free in the U.S., or, for callers outside the U.S. and Canada, a regular

toll line at 1-202-501-4444. These numbers are available from 8:00 a.m. to

8:00 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal

holidays).

The U.S. Embassy in Ankara is located at 110 Ataturk Boulevard, tel: (90)

(312) 455-5555, fax (90)(312) 468-6131. The Internet address is

<http://ankara.usembassy.gov>.

The U.S. Consulate General in Istanbul is located at Kaplicalar Mevkii Sokak

No. 2, 34460, Istinye, Sariyer, tel: (90) (212) 335-9000, fax (90) (212)

335-9102. Istanbul-specific information can also be accessed via the

Consulate's web site at <http://istanbul.usconsulate.gov/>.

The U.S. Consulate in Adana is located at Girne Bulvari No. 212, Guzelevler

Mahallesi, Yuregir, Adana, Turkey. tel: (90)(322) 346-6262, fax (90)(322)

346-7916, web site: <http://adana.usconsulate.gov>.

The Consular Agent in Izmir can be contacted at (90) (232) 464-8755.

We just returned last evening from Istanbul and a cruise on Nautica. We saw uniformed soldiers at all of the large Turkey sites and some of them were armed with large guns. That said, I felt very safe the whole time we were there. They were scanning the crowds and picking up trash, etc. At no time were did I feel that we were in harms way. I would definitely go and enjoy myself. There is so much to see - enjoy!

Archived