A positive article

Skyrules

from today's Courier Mail....

QUEENSLAND'S dreams of becoming a major cruise ship destination moved a step closer yesterday, with the opening of Brisbane's cruise terminal.

Slipping into dock before dawn, P&O's Pacific Star became the first cruise ship to officially berth at the just-completed terminal, a key component of the $750 million Portside Wharf development.

But problems plagued the opening with long queues for passengers and technical hitches delaying the ship's departure last night.

For the 1400 passengers on board P&O's Pacific Star, disembarking yesterday was a lot more salubrious than the marquee set up at a Pinkenba cargo berth for previous arrivals. Passenger Dawn Tippett, who had left for a previous cruise at Pinkenba, said the new facilities were amazing.

Yesterday's arrival of the Pacific Star coincided with the second-lowest tide of the year, offering some problems for staff, with at least one piece of luggage landing in the Brisbane River before being retrieved.

It is hoped the new terminal will help boost the number of cruise ships visiting Brisbane, with up to 48 liners due to berth at the terminal within the next 12 months.

Portside Wharf is also a restaurant and retail precinct open to the public, with Dendy Cinemas due to open on September 7. Other facilities include a fresh food marketplace, florist, patisserie and restaurants. It will also include a luxury residential precinct.

19005296_0522950400.jpg.jpeg.bff45ec017acd32a1bfd54eed841e9c3.jpeg

The photo shows also shows the problem that they were having with the tide being at it lowest point - the doors used for loading/unloading are clearly well below the wharf level. At least 1 bag was dropped, and wasn't saved by the nets strung under the doors, ending up in the river. Kym

Thanks for that Kym.

Although there are problems to start with, and there will probably be a few more, it is still great that Brisbane has taken the "bull by the horns" and now has a real cruise ship departure terminal, where people on board the ship can now wave goodbye at those remaining on shore. Who knows, we may get back to the streamers stage. That would be fun.

Well done Brisbane I say. I wished we had the same here in Wellington, NZ.

Thanks for that Kym.

Although there are problems to start with, and there will probably be a few more, it is still great that Brisbane has taken the "bull by the horns" and now has a real cruise ship departure terminal, where people on board the ship can now wave goodbye at those remaining on shore. Who knows, we may get back to the streamers stage. That would be fun.

Well done Brisbane I say. I wished we had the same here in Wellington, NZ.

When we saw Pacific Star last night, even though they hadn't departed, there were the remains of streamers coming off the ship - so someone had obviously done it.

The August picture on our Wellington calendar is Wellington Harbour, so I just had a look at it - and I see what you mean about your cruise terminal!! We'll be in Wellington at Christmas, might have to go down and have a look at it in person.

The one in Auckland is nice, but I think Brisbane's might even be a bit better than that.

Kym

When we saw Pacific Star last night, even though they hadn't departed, there were the remains of streamers coming off the ship - so someone had obviously done it.

The August picture on our Wellington calendar is Wellington Harbour, so I just had a look at it - and I see what you mean about your cruise terminal!! We'll be in Wellington at Christmas, might have to go down and have a look at it in person.

The one in Auckland is nice, but I think Brisbane's might even be a bit better than that.

Kym

Hi Kym.

The pictures of Wellington normally show what was our Overseas Passenger Terminal, however it is no longer used for this. Wellington Harbour is not that deep, so as cruise ships have got larger over the years, they are only able to berth at the Container Ship Wharf, which is not a very nice place for cruise ship passengers to arrive in the Captail City of New Zealand. I have written to the Mayor and Council asking if this area can be upgraded as we are getting more cruise ships visiting Wellington during the summer period.

I have been advised that they are going to upgrade the Container Ship Wharf for cruise ships.:) My next question to them was what year?

I'm still awaiting a reply after six months.:(

I hope you have a great stay here over Christmas.

Regards

Roland

(2002 Pacific Sky September from Sydney)

(2003 Pacific Sky September from Sydney)

(2004 Pacific Sky August from Auckland)

(2005 Pacific Sun September from Sydney)

(2006 Pacific Sun September from Sydney - N628 17 Sept):)

I hope you have a great stay here over Christmas.

Looking forward to it!! Only a couple of days in Wellington this trip - flying down from Auckland to visit some friends and then crossing to the South Island on the Interislander and then onto the TranzCostal down to Christchurch, where we're picking up a campervan and doing some touring of the lower South Island.

Hi Kym.

The pictures of Wellington normally show what was our Overseas Passenger Terminal, however it is no longer used for this. Wellington Harbour is not that deep, so as cruise ships have got larger over the years, they are only able to berth at the Container Ship Wharf, which is not a very nice place for cruise ship passengers to arrive in the Captail City of New Zealand. I have written to the Mayor and Council asking if this area can be upgraded as we are getting more cruise ships visiting Wellington during the summer period.

I have been advised that they are going to upgrade the Container Ship Wharf for cruise ships.:) My next question to them was what year?

I'm still awaiting a reply after six months.:(

Well it's only taken Brisbane 5 years (at least - that's as long as I've been here) to get the facilities that just opened!

I think I know where you mean about the container wharves - it's over near where the Interislander leaves from isn't it?? I remember from the last time we did the Interislander across to Picton.

Looking forward to it!! Only a couple of days in Wellington this trip - flying down from Auckland to visit some friends and then crossing to the South Island on the Interislander and then onto the TranzCostal down to Christchurch, where we're picking up a campervan and doing some touring of the lower South Island.

Are you going to try the Bungie Jumping? We did it back in 1993 just outside of Queenstown. UNBELIEVABLE!!

Karen

Well it's only taken Brisbane 5 years (at least - that's as long as I've been here) to get the facilities that just opened!

I think I know where you mean about the container wharves - it's over near where the Interislander leaves from isn't it?? I remember from the last time we did the Interislander across to Picton.

Yes Kym, that is correct. It's a bit of an eye-sore of a place and it's not a very good impression for people arriving from overseas.

Sailing into Wellington is great. The view is wonderful, however it would be even better if we had a proper terminal for our overseas guests.

I was on the Interislander just a view weeks ago. We had 3 metre swells during the crossing. GREAT!!!:D as I love being at sea, but there were a few green looking people when we arrived in Picton.:eek:

It's only a couple of weeks and I'll be at sea again:)

I have also re-written to our Mayor and Council asking where they are at with the new terminal, advising also that Brisbane has taken the time and money to build a new one.

One other thing Kym, how is the Brimble case going? I was on that cruise in 2002. I have read one or two articles on the net, but I think the case is still going isn't it?

Regards

Roland

2002 Pacific Sky (September from Sydney)

2003 Pacific Sky (September from Sydney)

2004 Pacific Sky (August from Auckland)

2005 Pacific Sun (September from Sydney)

2006 Pacific Sun (September from Sydney N628 17 Sept):)

One other thing Kym, how is the Brimble case going? I was on that cruise in 2002. I have read one or two articles on the net, but I think the case is still going isn't it?

Regards

Roland

Haven't heard anything about it recently - so I think it must be in ajournement (not the right word, but you know what I mean!) again - seems to do a week at a time then nothing for months.

At least while the case isn't on there hasn't been as much harrassing of P&O, but it would be good to get to the bottom of the case once and for all.

Kym

Are you going to try the Bungie Jumping? We did it back in 1993 just outside of Queenstown. UNBELIEVABLE!!

Karen

:eek: Hmmm let me think about that :confused: :confused: . Oh yeah - NO WAY!!! :)

We're going to do the Shotover Jet boat in Queenstown but we'll be giving the bungee jumping a miss.......

Kym

:eek: Hmmm let me think about that :confused: :confused: . Oh yeah - NO WAY!!! :)

We're going to do the Shotover Jet boat in Queenstown but we'll be giving the bungee jumping a miss.......

Kym

Chicken!!!:D

And proud of it!!!

After watching them do it at Pentecoste, I came away with an even firmer resolve not to try it. I don't care if it's done with elasticised rope and not vines!

Yeh, must be honest, if I'd seen it at Pentecoste first I probably wouldn't do it either.

Karen

Archived