Question re: POH Ports

CruiseAddict58

My family is going on the POH in November. Can anyone please tell me which ports you are able to just get off the ship on and go exploring (via walking) and not having to take an excursion or renting a car? In other words, which ports have things to do within walking distance? A few people that are joining us on our cruise have been to Hawaii and seen most of the highlights. These people want to be able to just get off the ship and explore some on their own close to the ship.

As for my husband and 2 children, we have not been to Hawaii previously and plan to take as many excursions as possible to see the highlights of each port. :)

You could enjoy walking around Kona near the tender pier, or the beach on Kauai a short walk away.

But in general I would really discourage limiting yourself like this, very poor. It's like paying for the world's best amusement park, and deciding not to go more than 10 feet past the entrance booth. :)

Hilo in particular would be glum near the ship. I guess you could hop a free shopping shuttle. Lame!

Would strongly encourage your friends to rent a car or pay for an occasional excursion. Skipping an occasional port to relax on board isn't too bad an option either.

I have to add that having been to Hawaii already doesn't mean that anyone has seen it all or done it all. DH and I have visited 5 times in the past 8 years (with 2 more trips in the works), and while there are things we've definitely "been there, done that," there are many things that we haven't seen or done or that we enjoy doing every time we are there.

MikeKaye is absolutely dead on in his comparison to a theme park. Also, if they know Hawaii well, then they will have some idea of what the port areas are like. If they haven't been to all the islands, then there will be everything to discover on the ones they are visiting for the first time; if they have been to all the islands, then they might consider revisiting favorite spots or doing favorite activities.

I'm glad you are going to explore as much as you can. My usual word of caution however: Please don't try to cram so much into each day that you leave no time to relax and simply enjoying "being" in Hawaii. There is nothing wrong with lying on the beach or sitting by the water and letting yourself breathe. I suggest that you pick one excursion for each port that the four of you consider the "must do" and then let the rest of your activities come as they may. (End of lecture.)

Have a wonderful time. It's quite easy to fall in love with the islands.

beachchick

I have to add that having been to Hawaii already doesn't mean that anyone has seen it all or done it all. DH and I have visited 5 times in the past 8 years (with 2 more trips in the works), and while there are things we've definitely "been there, done that," there are many things that we haven't seen or done or that we enjoy doing every time we are there.

MikeKaye is absolutely dead on in his comparison to a theme park. Also, if they know Hawaii well, then they will have some idea of what the port areas are like. If they haven't been to all the islands, then there will be everything to discover on the ones they are visiting for the first time; if they have been to all the islands, then they might consider revisiting favorite spots or doing favorite activities.

I'm glad you are going to explore as much as you can. My usual word of caution however: Please don't try to cram so much into each day that you leave no time to relax and simply enjoying "being" in Hawaii. There is nothing wrong with lying on the beach or sitting by the water and letting yourself breathe. I suggest that you pick one excursion for each port that the four of you consider the "must do" and then let the rest of your activities come as they may. (End of lecture.)

Have a wonderful time. It's quite easy to fall in love with the islands.

beachchick

Thanks for the advice! I am usually one to over-plan things to do on a vacation. However, I truly love cruising and "being aboard the ship," so I do plan to limit excursions to one per day.

You could enjoy walking around Kona near the tender pier, or the beach on Kauai a short walk away.

But in general I would really discourage limiting yourself like this, very poor. It's like paying for the world's best amusement park, and deciding not to go more than 10 feet past the entrance booth. :)

Hilo in particular would be glum near the ship. I guess you could hop a free shopping shuttle. Lame!

Would strongly encourage your friends to rent a car or pay for an occasional excursion. Skipping an occasional port to relax on board isn't too bad an option either.

You mentioned the area around the ship in Hilo is glum. I have planned for the 4 of us to take the "Volcanoes National Park Odyssey" NCL Excursion in Hilo. Is this a good choice for that day?

The area around the Hilo port is industrial...not exciting or picturesque. However, a trip to the Volcano Park is a once in a lifetime experience. We take all of our visitors there first thing....and everyone loves it. You will see everything from barren lava fields (the newest land on earth) to lush rainforests and fern forests. Have fun!!

You mentioned the area around the ship in Hilo is glum. I have planned for the 4 of us to take the "Volcanoes National Park Odyssey" NCL Excursion in Hilo. Is this a good choice for that day?

Absolutely! VNP is a must-must-must see. You will all have a wonderful day.

I'm so happy to hear that you had already decided to leave time open for relaxing. I have become kind of a nut on the issue (in regards to Hawaii in particular) because I also used to be the over-planning, over-scheduling, live by the clock on vacation one in the family. Two things changed that. First is DH and I are now disabled and didn't travel at all for almost a decade. Then we learned how to travel with our limitations, while still having a good time and being able to do a few things instead of everything. Second (specific to Hawaii), my DH used to work there several weeks a year (before I met him--rats!), so he already knew the islands well. When we planned our first trip to Hawaii, and even though I knew we wouldn't be able to do the things we used to do, I read and planned and scheduled every day. Now granted because of our health I had to schedule rest days/times. Even so, my DH just shook his head and humored me. He let me figure out for myself that Hawaii is best experienced (no matter your age, health, or anything else) by not overdoing it or trying to cram everything into one trip. And think of it this way too: You will get a taste of all the islands so you can decide on your favorites to visit on your next trip to Hawaii. (Darn--you'll have to plan to visit again:D.)

Have a lovely time.

beachchick

Absolutely! VNP is a must-must-must see. You will all have a wonderful day.

I'm so happy to hear that you had already decided to leave time open for relaxing. I have become kind of a nut on the issue (in regards to Hawaii in particular) because I also used to be the over-planning, over-scheduling, live by the clock on vacation one in the family. Two things changed that. First is DH and I are now disabled and didn't travel at all for almost a decade. Then we learned how to travel with our limitations, while still having a good time and being able to do a few things instead of everything. Second (specific to Hawaii), my DH used to work there several weeks a year (before I met him--rats!), so he already knew the islands well. When we planned our first trip to Hawaii, and even though I knew we wouldn't be able to do the things we used to do, I read and planned and scheduled every day. Now granted because of our health I had to schedule rest days/times. Even so, my DH just shook his head and humored me. He let me figure out for myself that Hawaii is best experienced (no matter your age, health, or anything else) by not overdoing it or trying to cram everything into one trip. And think of it this way too: You will get a taste of all the islands so you can decide on your favorites to visit on your next trip to Hawaii. (Darn--you'll have to plan to visit again:D.)

Have a lovely time.

beachchick

Thanks Beachchik for the advice! This is only my 3rd cruise and the first one with no "at sea" days; thus, I have been thinking we have to do an excursion everyday..sometimes two depending on the length of the excursion. Thank goodness I've not booked the excursions yet. I'm fixing to work on re-thinking our plans so we will have plenty of "downtime" to enjoy the ship and our time onboard.

Have a great day and many thanks again for the wisdom gained from your years of experience!

CruiseAddict58: Mahalo for your nice words. I have to admit that while there are many downsides to being disabled, one upside is that you really do learn to treasure the good days and, as the saying goes, "take time to smell the plumeria." Be sure to scout out some good beaches for your family too. There are some terrific ones where you can do everything or nothing. Ka'anapali on Maui is good, as is Kapalua (also Maui). The beach in front of the Maui Prince (south Maui) is also very nice. For Kauai, there's a beach close to the pier that fronts a resort (sorry, can't remember which one). Poipu is also really great for family fun. On the BI, there are several all up and down the Kona-Kohala coast (I think the one in front of the King Kamehameha is okay, but there are better). Kahalu'u is overused (IMO), but is still good for families and family snorkeling (if that's something you like), plus it's easy to get to if you don't have a car. On Oahu, there's Waikiki (of course) as well as several other excellent choices. My personal favorite for swimming and relaxing is Kailua, which is across the island from Honolulu, so you would need a car.

It's a great idea to just plan on taking time to relax on the ship...Yes, lying by the pool with a cool drink in your hand while you listen to your children play and take in the beauty of the islands is always a good idea.

beachchick

Archived