NCLA vs Princess

bonbob

I would like to request some honest, objective answers. We have sailed exclusively on Princess because our first cruise was recommended by our TA, and we loved it. We think they are classy, but affordable. We have another cruise in just 9 weeks on the Crown, and can't wait. We are not snobby, and can deal with minor problems etc., but I am hearing some very disturbing things such as long waits, no response on complaints, running out of food items, etc. Someone I work with just came back from POA, and said they had run out of milk, the room was wet and musty and they had to move, and then no room service and bed not made up for 3 days. Any thoughts?

We are also booked in the Spring on one of NCLA's ships for Hawaii. We chose it because of the itinerary, and fewer sea days. In 7 days we can see alot, whereas on Princess, it was much longer, and half the time was at sea. Can anyone share any experiences, or offer any comments or suggestions - in a constructive nature of course. From reading the reviews and message boards, our fear is that we are going to be very disappointed. I know the service is definately less, as it is an American crew, and we could probably deal with that. But I'm hearing lots of other negative things too. Can anyone share any thoughts at all? We're torn about this, and have even thought of cancelling. I am going to post this on the Princess board as well. TIA.

I pulled the following quote from another thread.

"One other point that is often mentioned; sailing the islands only on an American flagged ship is a different experience which does require some research. It is a wonderful way to see the islands in a short period of time and is very cost effective. It is not like sailing on any other itinerary. Most of us cruise for the cruising experience, cruising the Hawaiian Islands is for the island experience. The sooner this point is known by all who cruise the sooner the complaints will stop. NMNita"

If you really want to see Hawaii in a week, this may be a good way to do it. Do not expect the same quality of food, service and entainment that Princess provides, and you will be OK. Spend as much time as possible off the ship and I believe that you will have a good time. If you can't live with this perhaps you should cancel this cruise and save your time. I must admit that I have never sailed with NCLA, but would like to some day, if they get their act together.

As for the Pride of Aloha, here is someone who just recently got off the ship:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=405733

I haven't done Pride of Aloha, the oldest/smallest NCLA ship, but I did both Pride of America and Pride of Hawaii. We had a great time, we wouldn't have done it twice if we didn't like it a whole lot the first time.

I had read some good and bad reviews beforehand, so I kept an eye out for problems. The only problem we had on both cruises was slow/amateur service in the main dining room. Service in the specialty restaurants was great, as was the food.

There were a lot of good things -- the AE/AB rooms, the beautiful ships themselves, the specialty restaurants, and the itinerary is one of the best in the cruise industry. And we actually really liked the American crew, were able to relate to them better than a foreign crew.

Why didn't I see the negative things that ruined other people's cruises? Maybe we got lucky (twice), maybe our perspective is skewed, I don't know. I know one person on our PoAM cruise who also loved their cruise, but had a bad room steward. They have had some understaffing problems that are supposedly fixed now.

There is one travel agent in this forum who has never actually done NCLA, who keeps telling everyone that it is a floating hotel quite inferior to NCL and other cruiselines. If I hadn't done NCL, NCLA (twice), and most every mainstream cruiseline, I might believe such comments and be dissuaded from a great cruise experience. I have no interest in cheerleading, I just think it's sad that people get swayed away from such a great cruise. But I encourage you to read everything you can and take everything you read (including me) with a grain of salt. I personally find that most negative things said about every cruiseline I have done are not true.

I liked both NCLA cruises much more than my Princess cruise, but I did the older Regal Princess which probably isn't very representative of the line overall. The baked alaska walk was lost on me. :) But I have relatives who did diamond princess and absolutely loved it, sounds better than what I had.

The NCLA ships go past the Napali coast, no other cruiseline does. This is one of the most beautiful things you can see from a cruiseship anywhere in the world. You also get two nights on Kauai, considered by many to be the prettiest island in Hawaii. Most competing sailings now skip Kauai completely.

Since the cruise starts and ends in Hawaii, you have the great option to extend your stay with a hotel visit here, something you can't do with a west coast roundtrip cruise to hawaii. The west coast round trips also have 9 sea days, probably too many for most people.

"One other point that is often mentioned; sailing the islands only on an American flagged ship is a different experience which does require some research. It is a wonderful way to see the islands in a short period of time and is very cost effective. It is not like sailing on any other itinerary. Most of us cruise for the cruising experience, cruising the Hawaiian Islands is for the island experience. The sooner this point is known by all who cruise the sooner the complaints will stop. NMNita"

Please keep in mind that NMNita has never sailed NCLA. Not once, ever.

It's unfortunate she doesn't mention this fact in her frequent advices to others about the quality of NCLA.

People reading such confident assessments are misled as you were into assuming such opinions come from firsthand experience.

I must admit that I have never sailed with NCLA

same with you ce2000! You gotta fix that someday.

nmNita, Do you have any plans to take an NCLA cruise? I will, if you will, maybe we could take the same cruise. I value your thoughts and opinions, that is why I quoted you above. I would like to meet you aboard ship sometime. I have really met some neat and interesting people aboard ship, haven't you?

nmNita, Do you have any plans to take an NCLA cruise? I will, if you will, maybe we could take the same cruise. I value your thoughts and opinions, that is why I quoted you above. I would like to meet you aboard ship sometime. I have really met some neat and interesting people aboard ship, haven't you?

Keep in mind unless you have been on an NCLA ship you can't have a view - Mikes Law

It does not matter if you have talked with 100s that have been on the ships only the view of Mike is valid.

I wish I could comment having been on Princess but not an NCLA ship but I will be called out as not having a valid view.

Sorry

Keep in mind unless you have been on an NCLA ship you can't have a view - Mikes Law

It does not matter if you have talked with 100s that have been on the ships only the view of Mike is valid.

Readers might notice that I never said either of things.

Nor is either one my actual opinion.

When people talk about what a cruise is like, and offer reviews and advice, I think it is useful for readers to know if opinion comes from firsthand experience, or just what they have heard from others.

This problem is easily rectified by people acknowledging in a few words whether they have actually, you know, been on the cruise they are pontificating about. It would be great if people on this forum were more careful to do so. If they haven't been on the cruise, their opinion is still valid and useful. Knowing whether they have done the cruise or not helps readers to assess the opinion.

You are free to disagree, and you are also free to keep misrepresenting my words and opinions. :)

Grossly misrepresent what others write -- Shoreguy's law

Grossly misrepresent what others believe -- Shoreguy's law

Only shoreguy's opinion is important! -- Shoreguy's law

There how do you like it? :)

p.s. Some backround for readers not familiar with some forum history. Shoreguy started a discussion about NCLA, asking whether NCLA should be marketed seperately from NCL. An interesting and valid question. A long list of respondents followed up with negative opinions about NCLA, nearly all of whom (including shoreguy) have never actually been on NCLA, but didn't bother to mention they hadn't. I think readers were surprised and amused to learn this. It's sort of like reading an involved discussion about whether Princess is good enough, from a group of people who have never sailed Princess, but don't bother to mention they haven't. Anyway this is an ongoing problem on this forum, simply rectified with a few simple words stating whether you have actually done the cruise you are criticising or not...

I'm really surprised and actually rather shocked :eek: to learn that neither NmNita or Shoreguy have ever been on an NCLA Cruise! They have both been talking on various threads like they are "the" authority on the subject.:rolleyes: They both seem inteligent and rather credable but lets get real!Tell me, would you take swimming advice from somebody that "learned" about swimming completely from a book or "gathering other peoples opinions" without getting in the water? Before you decide to argue with me wouldn't it be more credable not to mention a whole lot more fun just to go on at least one cruise before you critic it?

Archived