Extra Tipping

themerchantgirl

The room stewards do not treat earlier tippers any different than people who wait until the last day of the cruise. The cruiseline already deducts a very reasonable tip for the staff. Unless you have any special requests or you feel your steward went above and beyond his regular duties, why would you tip them on the first day? If in between he or she does something extra for you, then by all means I would tip them for it, and also at the end of the trip hand them an envelope (which is usually in the desk drawer in the cabin or at the purser's desk):D .

Tip for a Pizza, give me a break.

Evidently you don't appreciate the HARD work that the people on the ship do. The pizza guy was there every time we walked by, early, late and in between. For all the hard work he does he DESERVED IT!

We don't always tip the pizza guy but this one deserved what we gave him plus more. Alot of people forget about the little guy, this time we didn't.

The pizza guy was there every time we walked by, early, late and in between. For all the hard work he does he DESERVED IT!

That's because it's his job;)

And yes I do appreciate their hard work. In my opinion when a new cruiser posts a thread about being worried that they will offend someone if they don't tip enough, is getting the wrong message. After they read alot of these posts where some will tip above and beyond for great service , but not really for special requests. Well ,you are suppose to get great service and that is what your tip on your S & S is for.

Everyone has their own right to tip what ever they want....and that is great...no problem. But my feeling here, is new cruisers don't need to worry about not tipping enough. They are not obligated to tip above what they have on their S & S. That's all:)

We do make an extraordinary request of our room steward and do tip him /her day one for that request. Then leave the reg. tip on S&S. If service has been outstanding we will tip extra at the end. Fairly rare happening for room stew., but not so rare for dining rm staff.

Themerchantgirl,

To answer your origional question............

With the still too large number of people that totally STIFF all the help. You will not offend anyone by just sticking with the S&S tip. If service is so good that YOU FEEL more is deserved, go ahead and give that/ them persons cash.

Dan

What it boils down to is personal choice. Each person tips what he feels most comfortable with. You start with the minimum and go from there. If someone wants to tip $80, or the pizza guy or a favorite bar server, more power to them! I'll do what I want, they'll do what they want and we'll all be happy.

Hey Deb. What I was wondering about that guy who tipped $80...

I'm thinking he just tipped $80 for his total cruise, period, not extra. If so, and had others with him on the cruise - he stiffed the steward big time!:rolleyes:

Hey Deb. What I was wondering about that guy who tipped $80...

I'm thinking he just tipped $80 for his total cruise, period, not extra. If so, and had others with him on the cruise - he stiffed the steward big time!:rolleyes:

I hope that isn't the case! :eek: Maybe he'll come back and clarify that.

For those of you that always tip at the start of the cruise, for just once, try not doing it. I think you will find that the service is still great. We have NEVER (23 cruises) tipped at the beginning and have always had great service. We leave on our account the recommended amount--never less. If the service is OUTSTANDING, but only then, we leave more, sometimes a lot more. You have to remember that the staff is expected to do a good job. A good job earns the recommended tip.

Believe me, the staff is thrilled with the auto tip and consider that fair wages. In the olden days, before the auto tip, they were stiffed often.

In my opinion, some people tip a lot on the cruise because it makes them feel important, unlike what they are back home in the real world. If that's your thing, go for it, but I'm sure it's a short lasting high, especially when you will never see these people again and most likely they are considered rich in their country--remember, it's all relative.

Keep things in perspective...

Judy

My Grandfather taught me that TIPS means "To Insure Preferred Service", so I go with my gut and tip appropriately. On our last cruise (Valentines Day 2006, Fantasy), we had our 9 month old baby and our three year old son with us. Anyone who has kids knows how messy dinnertime can get, so we had many pizza nights in the cafe instead of going to the dining room. It was more fun that way! We chose to tip the girl who had to wipe down the high chair and clear away the tons of dishes that a hungry family creates. She worked hard and always made my kids smile! It was like having pizza night at home without me having to do the cooking and cleaning. She would ask if we needed anything even though it was self service. She went above and beyond her job duties. Now that deserved a tip! I do typically wait until the middle or end, and I always give cash with a note on the envelope telling each person what was great about their service. I do dislike the prepayment of tips because tipping is a personal thing for me. I like to show my appreciation for a job well done in that manner. Go with what feels right for you and it will all work out :)

Happy cruising!

Suzy Q

Sitmar 1982

Disney 1984

Disney 1987

RCCL 1993

Disney Magic 2005

Carnival Fantasy 2006

Booked:

RCCL Voyager of the Seas 9/2006

Carnival Sensation 10/2006

RCCL Monarch of the Seas 12/2006

Disney Magic 12/2007

I have read where some of you tip to the room steward early on in the cruise. Can you give me some tips on about how much you tip? I understand this is in addition to the traditional tipping that is included in the sail and sign card and have no problem with that. These folks definitely deserve the money. They work hard.

I normally tip my Cabin Steward on the second night, I slip them a 20.00 and I ask my Waiter and assistant waiter if they are going ashore, when they do I slip them a 20.00 also so they can go out and have a good time. I went to Disneyland today and I looked for a nice Money Clip but they were all sold out. I need one for this cruise so I can keep my tipping cash in my front pocket instead of in my wallet.

Fred

I have read where some of you tip to the room steward early on in the cruise. Can you give me some tips on about how much you tip? I understand this is in addition to the traditional tipping that is included in the sail and sign card and have no problem with that. These folks definitely deserve the money. They work hard.

We have never tipped in advance and the service has always been great.

That's because it's his job;)

And yes I do appreciate their hard work. In my opinion when a new cruiser posts a thread about being worried that they will offend someone if they don't tip enough, is getting the wrong message. After they read alot of these posts where some will tip above and beyond for great service , but not really for special requests. Well ,you are suppose to get great service and that is what your tip on your S & S is for.

Everyone has their own right to tip what ever they want....and that is great...no problem. But my feeling here, is new cruisers don't need to worry about not tipping enough. They are not obligated to tip above what they have on their S & S. That's all:)

Enough said, thanks rvgirl.

OK, this confuses me. You gave your steward $80 EXTRA (over the amount of automatic tips) or $80 total for the entire cruise?

It was $80 extra. To me, it has always been well worth it. We are also very easy-going in an effort to make up for some people who have willed themselves to have a bad cruise. If stuff happens it doesn't bother me because I am on a cruise instead of sitting in an office.

I saw a lady on the Liberty in a Penthouse Suite (like ours) yelling at the room steward about the lousy job that they were about to do on cleaning the crotch of her panties. Karma got her because we saw her go into a rest room in Tuscany where you had to squat over a hole in the ground.

I never tip in advance because the service doesn't exceed my expectations. I expect them to do a superior job and they do, which is what the prepaid tip is for. The one time I did tip extra was when my son/husband purchased a wooded statue of a man in Jamacia. It somehow fell and the tip of its ear broke off, fell behind something. We looked everywhere and couldn't find it. Well, our steward apparently noted it had gotten broken, found the ear, super glued it back on and after we returned from dinner and the show, it was like new. That was service above and beyond what one would expect. Getting ones ice bucket filled is what I expect.

What are some of the extraordinary things that folks are getting for these BIG tips before the cruise starts that others are not?

I take the opinion that the prepaid tips are the compensation for the expected level of service. If extraordinary service, or a special request is provided, extra compensation should also be provided.

On our honeymoon, I spoke with our steward and had him set up a bottle of champagne I had hidden in my luggage. When we returned from our day in port, the champagne was on ice with two glasses as requested. In addition, the steward also scored a rose from somewhere. I had no qualms about giving an extra $10 for this service.

we had a waiter who was simply outstanding, and also went above and beyond what was expected of him. He also earned an extra $20 for his hard work.

I take the opinion that the prepaid tips are the compensation for the expected level of service. If extraordinary service, or a special request is provided, extra compensation should also be provided.

My history has shown that a prepaid extra tip has guaranteed extraordinary service. So far I am batting 1000...

It was $80 extra. To me, it has always been well worth it. We are also very easy-going in an effort to make up for some people who have willed themselves to have a bad cruise. If stuff happens it doesn't bother me because I am on a cruise instead of sitting in an office.

I saw a lady on the Liberty in a Penthouse Suite (like ours) yelling at the room steward about the lousy job that they were about to do on cleaning the crotch of her panties. Karma got her because we saw her go into a rest room in Tuscany where you had to squat over a hole in the ground.

I'd like a little more info on this, please. Curious as to what she said to indicate they were about to do a lousy job cleaning the crotch of her panties. ;)

Archived