Sapphire Beach Recently

beachfanatic

Anyone gone to Sapphire recently? Since the hotel closing. Is it still

a viable beach to get chair rentals, restrooms? Is it easy to get Taxis back to the ship even though the hotel/restaurants are closed.

Any info would be helpful...

I don't know anything about the hotel closing, only the bar and restaurants are closed as far as I'm aware. We were there in late June and the resort itself wasn't closed.

We were there 2 weeks ago. People were in chairs, but where they got them, I don't know (we just threw a towel down - I was looking for iguanas, not a tan :)). There are bathrooms. In a little gatehouse (I guess that would be the best term for it), there were some men asking did we need a taxi back to the ship? We were being picked up. There is a little store there - we got a bottle Coke for $1.75, which I didn't think outrageous, as some places here charge 1.29.

Did I mention the iguanas? They are like squirrels. It was the coolest thing!

Jeanne

We were at Sapphire Beach in May. The bar was closed, however, at the time the hotel was open. The only people with chairs were people staying at the hotel. There was a tiny shop that sold snacks, pop, and beer. It was too quiet for me...we enjoyed the day, but I would not go back.

• 4 weeks later...

If you still need info on this, we were there just last week and it was perfect for our needs. I was worried about what i had read, but found it to be wonderful. Restrooms, small shop with sundries, including snacks and drinks, water sports rental area that also deals with the chair rentals, which were $7 bucks each. The beach is in good shape, water gorgeous, view, UNBELIEVABLE!! oh yeah, iguanas were too cool!

I am really glad to hear the positive comments about Sapphire. We will be there in a couple weeks. We are really looking forward to it now!!

glad to help! I know I used these boards extensively before we left to get the best, most up-to-date info to help make our cruise that much better. I forgot to add, the beach was not crowded. There were people, but not wall to wall. we were able to find a quiet spot to stare at the water. Of course, there were only 2 ships in port, so that could make a difference. We did snorkel too, rented from the dive shop. Maybe $10 an hour? dont remember exact price, but thats all we needed it for was an hour. We saw some sea turtles and some pretty fish. I heard someone say they saw a ray, but we didnt get to see it.

Trying to find answers, how long does it take from Crown Bay to Sapphire Beach Resort, cost of Taxi if you used one, if not how did you get there?? Taxi prices seem outrageous! Thanks,

Not sure of this one, since we were docked at Havensight. Also, we were picked up from our shopping area. It took us 20 minutes i would say.

I like Sapphire beach, especially the snorkeling there. When we have friends or relatives come visit we always take them there. I haven't heard anything about the place closing down. Could be maybe they're having down time during hurricane season.

The last time we snorkeled there we saw an eagle ray, which is just way too cool! I can never see them enough.

Hope you enjoy your stay on the island, it's a beautiful place (especially under the water) !

Iheartprincess, You have renewed my plans for Sapphire Beach, but I still need help. How would we do with our DD in a wheelchair? I know I can get a cab without trouble, but access to bathroom and close to beach...Is is possible? She can walk short disttances. Did they have vendors selling wares on the beach? I appreciate any and all updates from Sapphire!!!

Scuba Laura, is there any place to eat? Is it a large beach? Thinking about doing this in November, but scared about the posts. Tired of Meagan's Bay. I think it is too overcrowded and ruined. Any other beaches you can suggest?

Iheartprincess, You have renewed my plans for Sapphire Beach, but I still need help. How would we do with our DD in a wheelchair? I know I can get a cab without trouble, but access to bathroom and close to beach...Is is possible? She can walk short disttances. Did they have vendors selling wares on the beach? I appreciate any and all updates from Sapphire!!!

The bathroom and small shop are in an area right out of the lobby area of the hotel check in and it is mostly shaded and completely floored, so it shouldn't be a problem getting around that area with a wheelchair. The bathroom was a little snug, but had 3 stalls, I think? The beach is right there, as you will see. You step out of the reception area and its a wide open space. The beach is very long from one point to the other, so I know you could find some beach close enough for her needs. No vendors on the beach that i saw, but the little shop had trinkets and such. I think you and your daughter will find it wonderful. hope this helps. :)

Scuba Laura, is there any place to eat? Is it a large beach? Thinking about doing this in November, but scared about the posts. Tired of Meagan's Bay. I think it is too overcrowded and ruined. Any other beaches you can suggest?

Have you thought about taking the ferry over to St John and visiting Trunk Bay or Cinnamon Bay? Beautiful beaches, MUCH more so than Magens IMO. We spent a week on St John in June and the beaches there are fantastic. If you want to stick with St Thomas than I would suggest either Sapphire or the beach at Secret Harbour resort. The restaurants are closed at Sapphire Beach but I'm pretty sure there's a restaurant at Sapphire Village which is a walk up the hill behind Sapphire Beach. There's also a restaurant at Secret Harbour. The beach at Sapphire is quite a bit larger than Secret Harbour and Sapphire has a much nicer view IMO.

Jeanne B, thank you for the advise. I am so torn between Sapphire. It sounds great and I am sick of MB. I think it is very over run now. Have you been to Coki Beach? I have heard good and bad. The problem I have w/ St. John is getting back to the ship. Seems like everything is contingent upon the ferry.

Jeanne B, thank you for the advise. I am so torn between Sapphire. It sounds great and I am sick of MB. I think it is very over run now. Have you been to Coki Beach? I have heard good and bad. The problem I have w/ St. John is getting back to the ship. Seems like everything is contingent upon the ferry.

We were only in St Thomas for 2 days before going to St John and we never made it to Coki. I really wouldn't let the ferry stop you from going to STJ. There are ferrys going hourly to both Red Hook and CA and as long as you don't cut it so close that you're taking the last possible ferry that will get you back to the ship in time you'll be fine. If you decide against Sapphire you really should consider going to STJ because it's such a different experience than STT. And compared to CA, I just love the little town of Cruz Bay and you can do some last minute shopping since the ferry terminal is right there (I bought a hook bracelet at Palm Jewelers that I wear EVERY day and St John Spice is upstairs in the building right next to the ferry terminal, lots of nice little gifts).

Did you take the ferry from downtown or Red Hook? Now I am wondering again. We have been over to St.J to Trunk Bay w/ the kids. But did not want to do that again. What are the other beaches like? If you took the ferry from C.A. how long is the ride and if you took it from R.H. how long was the ride from C.A. to R.H. and then onto St. J? I know I sound confusing.

Sorry

The ferry from CA (town) takes about 45 minutes and does not go to Red Hook. The ferry from Red Hook takes about 20 minutes. The CA ferry is running on a reduced schedule at present, best check when on island. If you are worried about time stick with St Thomas beaches.

B.

Did you take the ferry from downtown or Red Hook? Now I am wondering again. We have been over to St.J to Trunk Bay w/ the kids. But did not want to do that again. What are the other beaches like? If you took the ferry from C.A. how long is the ride and if you took it from R.H. how long was the ride from C.A. to R.H. and then onto St. J? I know I sound confusing.

Sorry

Betsy's Mom answered your question regarding the ferries so I won't bother to repeat.

Cinnamon Bay is very nice as well as Hawksnest. Cinnamon is similar in size to Trunk and has a small store, watersports, etc. Hawksnest is smaller and quieter, we really love Hawksnest. But if you're uneasy about going to STJ I would suggest Sapphire beach. We thought it was beautiful and between Megans, Sapphire and Secret Harbour it was our favorite beach on STT. Here's a link to the St John beaches...

http://www.*****/stjohn/beaches_stj/

And I'll post a few beach pictures from our vacation in a little while, have to run my daughter to a friends house.

Here's a couple photos taken from Sapphire Beach, definitely our favorite beach of the St Thomas beaches in spite of the restaurant and bar being closed. We didn't go to Coki so I can't compare those two. And the last two photos were taken from our balcony at Secret Harbour resort. I posted some of our St John beach photos in a separate thread since I'm limited to how many pictures I can post in one thread...

USVI_JUN06070.jpg

USVI_JUN06060.jpg

Secret Harbour beach...

USVI_JUN06050.jpg

USVI_JUN06391.jpg

Archived