Excursions and clothing?

star7228

Hi all,

This might be a repeat question, but I've tried searching the boards and am not having much success. :) We are going to Alaska in late June 07 and are really interested in doing active excursions (kayaking, hiking, biking, etc.). I was just wondering how to pack for this stuff! Should I bring good hiking boots, or are these usually provided?

I've heard to dress in layers in Alaska, but just looking for suggestions in terms of shorts or pants, sweatshirts, etc. as I've always only been on cruises to hot places...and that's easy to pack for!

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. :)

Thanks!

We sailed the 25th of Aug...I can only let u know what we experienced...we did the mendenhall glacier canoeing in juneau...raining very hard...i was layered....i had taken my own rain gear...put they did provide rain gear as well as the boots...from what i have heard from past crisuers and experienced myself...be sure to prepare for rain...last year alone in ketchian they had 195+ inches of rain...i did wear capri pants several times...but had to wear a jacket or sweatshirt...we were truly blessed the remainer of our cruise with NO rain...just be sure to have some warm clothes.....:)

which I think would be pretty similar to June weather.

I wore layered coats (2 thin ski-type layered coats). I brought an umbrella but ended up not needing it since the cruise provided one. I brought longjohns and gloves and a hat for my glacier trip but ended up not needing or using them (well I did use the gloves but probably could have gotten by without them). I wore jeans every day and never wore shorts. I went on low-tech hikes and got by without hiking boots.

Great...thanks so much for the quick replies! :)

My husband and I are actually really looking forward to this weather. I love cooler weather, and to me fall is the best time of year! I am really excited about wearing layers and jeans instead of always having to wear shorts! To me this will be the ideal cruise. We are so excited...especially after reading everyone's comments about the beauty of Alaska. June 2007 is way too far away!!!

Thanks again. :D

My husband and I are actually really looking forward to this weather. I love cooler weather, and to me fall is the best time of year! I am really excited about wearing layers and jeans instead of always having to wear shorts! To me this will be the ideal cruise. We are so excited...especially after reading everyone's comments about the beauty of Alaska. June 2007 is way too far away!!!

Ditto on the cooler weather and wearing fall clothes. I am researching an Alaska cruise as my next adventure (after my June/07 sail to the Caribbean).

Lots of planning to do, but love these boards for all the great info.

Hi all,

This might be a repeat question, but I've tried searching the boards and am not having much success. :) We are going to Alaska in late June 07 and are really interested in doing active excursions (kayaking, hiking, biking, etc.). I was just wondering how to pack for this stuff! Should I bring good hiking boots, or are these usually provided?

I've heard to dress in layers in Alaska, but just looking for suggestions in terms of shorts or pants, sweatshirts, etc. as I've always only been on cruises to hot places...and that's easy to pack for!

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. :)

Thanks!

Layer is true, but most important, take a lightweight and very waterproof jacket. I was rainy and about 53 degrees F. in Juneau when we were there. I had on a (to the knee) jacket. A light sweat shirt and t-shirt underneath and jeans. Everyone else had the same to more clothes on. I was the only one that stayed warm, though, because my clothes stayed completely dry.

Skip the umbrella, it is generally windy with rain so the rain comes at you side ways. Hooded jacket and a ball cap works perfect.

Enjoy!

PS. I suggest lightweight jacket because on the ship and in other ports, we had drizzle to rain, but without the cold temp. A warm waterproof jacket would have been to heavy (not to mention it saves on suit case space!)

(not to mention it saves on suit case space!)

Good point...I am worried about packing. In the past, I was packed to the gills for our Caribbean and Hawaiian cruises, and that stuff was little and easy to pack! Now I'm thinking pants, sweatshirt, light jacket. :) haha

Archived