Fear of heights while snorkeling

cruisenut2001

I have a terrible fear of heights when I'm on a high-rise and I got the same feeling when I went snorkeling over deep water for the first time recently. Is this normal or am I just a little nuts. I have snorkeled probably over 20 hours, but always in less than 20 feet. This was the first time where I couldn't see bottom. Having a vest on didn't keep me calm. Once back in the shallows everything was fine. This really bums me out since the view of the reef from the shipping channel was beautiful (even for the short time I was there). Has anyone had this happen to them and have a cure?

I have a terrible fear of heights when I'm on a high-rise and I got the same feeling when I went snorkeling over deep water for the first time recently. Is this normal or am I just a little nuts. I have snorkeled probably over 20 hours, but always in less than 20 feet. This was the first time where I couldn't see bottom. Having a vest on didn't keep me calm. Once back in the shallows everything was fine. This really bums me out since the view of the reef from the shipping channel was beautiful (even for the short time I was there). Has anyone had this happen to them and have a cure?

You're nuts. Ask your doctor for some anti-anxiety medication like Lexipro before you go.

Hi,

You're not nuts... Sometimes our brains have a hard time figuring out that in the water zero level is UP towards the surface (as apposed to DOWN on land). As such, you get this terrible feeling you're high and will fall downward when in fact if you did nothing you would remain where you are on the surface (thanks to the air in our lungs and the bouyancy around our necks). For some this can be very disconcerting. For others, like me, it gives a sense of "flying" above your surroundings (especially when scuba diving where you can be neutrally bouyant at 30ft. below the surface and can't see any horizon to prove where you are). Unless you can convience yourself that you won't fall, you may want to stay shallow from now on. If you can convience yourself, you're right, the sights can be wonderful.

Hope this helped,

Randall

Randall,

Thanks for the explanation. Maybe if I just start increasing the depth gradually it will work itself out. The water was so clear in Raiatea that I guess the fish and coral were at 25 ft and very different from the fish seen at 10 ft, but that drop-off to nothing-ness ...

Thanks again,

Eric

Had the same thing happen to me when we went off the edge of a coral shelf in Huahine and I'm not afraid of heights. I actually had to get back into the boat for awhile before getting myself together enough for another dive. Would a dive buddy have helped?

Charlie

Had the same thing happen to me when we went off the edge of a coral shelf in Huahine and I'm not afraid of heights. I actually had to get back into the boat for awhile before getting myself together enough for another dive. Would a dive buddy have helped?

Charlie

Hi,

Only in supporting you. Sometimes grabbing someone's hand in that situation grounds you again. Some people like the feeling of "flying off a cliff", some people don't. Just like in those IMAX theaters when they do that in the movie over the Grand Canyon. Some people divert their eyes and others yell, "Whaooooo". :O)

Randall

Back in 1991 we went to Kauai, and before the trip I showed my 6 1/2 year old son Adam (who had been swimming since 18 months old) how to use a snorkel. We did a zodiac excursion along the Napali Coast, and when it stopped for snorkeling in 40+ feet of crystal clear water Adam jumped in, looked down and wanted no part of it.

Adam outgrew this fear soon, but after telling this story to another family with water-active kids they had a useful suggestion. They would have their young kids snorkel with a small kickboard under their chest for security. I tried that with my younger son Andrew in Catalina when he was 5 and it worked like a charm.

Archived